Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Billy Joel Reissues Thread

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Billy Joel Reissues Thread

Old 03-27-14, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,171 Likes on 4,201 Posts
re: Billy Joel Reissues Thread

I thought I should just make this the Billy Joel Reissue Thread

This is coming soon:

Billy Joel 'A Matter Of Trust - The Bridge To Russia' To Be Released On 2CD Live Album, DVD/Blu-ray Concert Film & Deluxe Edition

Billy Joel 'A Matter Of Trust - The Bridge To Russia' To Be Released On 2CD Live Album, DVD/Blu-ray Concert Film & Deluxe Edition

Columbia Records and Legacy Recordings Set to Release A MATTER OF TRUST--THE BRIDGE TO RUSSIA, Billy Joel's Historic 1987 Russian Tour Revisited on DVD/Blu-ray Concert Film, 2CD Live Album and Deluxe Box Set

Deluxe Edition includes First DVD/Blu-ray Release of Billy Joel's 1987 Leningrad and Moscow Concerts, 2CD Expanded Russian Concert Album and SHOWTIMEŽ Documentary Film, directed by Four-Time Emmy-Winner Jim Brown

Available Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Columbia Records and Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, will release Billy Joel's A MATTER OF TRUST--THE BRIDGE TO RUSSIA, the artist's historic 1987 Russian concert tour revisited on DVD/Blu-ray and CD, on Tuesday, May 20, 2014.

A MATTER OF TRUST--THE BRIDGE TO RUSSIA will be available in a Deluxe Edition boxed set containing a full-length concert film (The Concert) on DVD or Blu-ray; a 2CD album (The Music) featuring previously unreleased tracks and bonus material; and, as an exclusive, the SHOWTIMEŽ documentary film chronicling Billy's 1987 Soviet Tour, directed by four-time Emmy-winner Jim Brown ("Pete Seeger: The Power of Song," "American Roots Music," "An Evening with Henry Belafonte").

In addition, the Deluxe Edition comes with a book containing rare photos and new liner notes including first-hand accounts from writers and journalists who were there, among them Gary Graff, Michael Jensen, Neal Preston, Rona Elliot and Wayne Robins.

A MATTER OF TRUST--THE BRIDGE TO RUSSIA: The Concert (DVD/Blu-ray) and The Music (2CDs) will be available individually, or inside the Deluxe Edition.

A MATTER OF TRUST--THE BRIDGE TO RUSSIA: The Concert (DVD or Blu-ray) contains newly restored and remastered material from Live In Leningrad, 1987, a full-length concert film that has been unseen since its VHS release. For its DVD and Blu-ray debut, The Concert has been remastered from the original 35millimeter negative and expanded to include 12 previously unreleased performances, more than doubling the running time of the original release.

A MATTER OF TRUST--THE BRIDGE TO RUSSIA: The Concert (DVD or Blu-ray)
1. Prelude/Angry Young Man
2. Allentown
3. Goodnight Saigon
4. Big Man On Mulberry Street
5. Baby Grand
6. An Innocent Man - previously unreleased
7. Honesty - previously unreleased
8. The Longest Time - previously unreleased
9. A Matter Of Trust
10. Only The Good Die Young
11. It's Still Rock And Roll To Me - previously unreleased
12. Sometimes A Fantasy - previously unreleased
13. You May Be Right - previously unreleased
14. Uptown Girl
15. Big Shot
16. Back In The U.S.S.R.

DVD/Blu-ray Extra:
17. Pressure

A MATTER OF TRUST--THE BRIDGE TO RUSSIA: The Music (2 CDs) expands on 1987's original live Кohuept release, with 12 previously unreleased performances.

A MATTER OF TRUST--THE BRIDGE TO RUSSIA: The Music (2CD)
Disc One:
1. Odoya
2. Prelude/Angry Young Man
3. Honesty
4. The Ballad of Billy the Kid - previously unreleased
5. She's Always A Woman - previously unreleased
6. Scenes From An Italian Restaurant - previously unreleased
7. Goodnight Saigon
8. Stiletto
9. Big Man On Mulberry Street
10. Baby Grand
11. What's Your Name - previously unreleased
12. The Longest Time - previously unreleased
13. An Innocent Man

Disc Two:
1. Pressure - previously unreleased
2. Allentown
3. A Matter Of Trust
4. Only The Good Die Young
5. It's Still Rock And Roll To Me - previously unreleased
6. Sometimes A Fantasy
7. You May Be Right - previously unreleased
8. Uptown Girl
9. Big Shot
10. Back In The U.S.S.R.
11. The Times They Are A Changin'
12. She Loves You - previously unreleased Russian concerts rehearsal recording
13. New York State Of Mind - previously unreleased
14. Piano Man - previously unreleased

The CD, DVD/Blu-ray and Deluxe Editions of A MATTER OF TRUST--THE BRIDGE TO RUSSIA may be pre-ordered at Amazon (http://smarturl.it/bj_russia_amznCDDVD) and the Billy Joel Official Store (http://smarturl.it/bj_russia_officialD).

A MATTER OF TRUST-- THE BRIDGE TO RUSSIA: The Music (2CD) is available digitally on iTunes (http://smarturl.it/bj_russia_itunes). Earlier this year, Columbia Records and Legacy Recordings announced that all of the artist's studio albums had been newly Mastered For iTunes (itunes.com/BillyJoel) and would be available individually or as part of Billy Joel - The Complete Albums Collection, a specially priced bundle which includes a bonus anthology of 17 rarities.

Throughout the 1970s and 1980s, Billy Joel was building a catalog of timeless songs while enjoying a string of consecutive hit albums and singles. Though selling out concerts around the world, Billy and his music were, like much of western pop culture and rock 'n' roll itself, unheard behind the Iron Curtain (except for black market bootlegs and faint shortwave radio).

By the late 80s, The Cold War between the USSR and the West had begun to thaw in the light of Russian head-of-state Mikhail Gorbachev's policies of Glasnost and Perestroika, designed to bring openness and transparency to the Soviet Union while promoting political reform and cross-cultural exchanges.

When the Kremlin invited Billy Joel to perform in the Soviet Union, he jumped at the chance to realize a long-time dream of performing for the Russian people. As America's pop rock musical ambassador, Billy Joel brought the Soviets their first fully staged high energy rock show. The tour began with a small acoustic concert in Tbilisi, followed by three electrifying stadium shows in Moscow and three shows in Leningrad.

Billy Joel's historic visit to Russia became a worldwide news event, with journalists and writers covering the tour, its progress, and the effect Billy, his band and his family were having on the Russian people. The entire tour was professionally filmed and the concerts were simulcast on radio worldwide.

During their stay, Billy and his family, along with musicians, staff, and a huge press entourage spent their days interacting with the Russian people, forging true bonds of friendship wherever they went. The tour been seen as a major cultural turning point in the course of US and Soviet relations.

Seen and heard now, more than a quarter century later, Billy Joel's Russian concert tour performances stand out among the most electrifying and moving of his career. A MATTER OF TRUST--THE BRIDGE TO RUSSIA bears witness to the timeless revolutionary power of rock & roll.

Having sold more that 150 million albums worldwide, Billy Joel is one of America's most popular recording artists and respected entertainers. A MATTER OF TRUST--BRIDGE TO RUSSIA arrives during a surge of activity for the artist, who's nearing his 50th anniversary as a professional musician. His enduring song catalog was featured in a tribute episode of "Glee" last November before the unprecedented announcement, in December, that Madison Square Garden would be making Billy Joel the venue's "first music franchise," giving New York audiences an opportunity to catch a local hero and American musical legend performing an ongoing artistic residency at the Garden.

On December 8, 2013, Billy Joel was awarded the Kennedy Center Honors, given to members of the performing arts community for lifetime contributions to American culture.

Good news to me. I always wanted a complete copy of the Russian concert. Also the sound on the 1989 CD is terrible, so this should be a nice upgrade (especially in the Blu Ray). I had missed the Showtime documentary, so it'll be cool to get it here.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/br1Ddw0tNAM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-27-14, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've always loved this album, so I can't wait for more tracks!
Old 03-27-14, 03:31 PM

Yeah, the new tracks are very welcome. That show was Billy at the height of his fame and he was amazing on stage back then. I assume "What's Your Name" is the Skynard song. I've never heard him cover that one.

I do hate that Billy Joel screws up a Bob Dylan lyric in "Times They Are A Changing" ("Slower now will later be last"?), but I guess there's no way to fix that.
Old 04-01-14, 12:14 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker

I do hate that Billy Joel screws up a Bob Dylan lyric in "Times They Are A Changing" ("Slower now will later be last"?), but I guess there's no way to fix that.
I love screwups like that - makes it seem more "real".
Old 04-02-14, 09:14 PM

Re: Billy Joel Reissues Thread

Thanks for the thread name-change mod!

Funny, but I just noticed this comment I made on the first page of this thread back in 2008. I am nothing if not prescient.
That concert video (although in edited form) is available as the fifth disc in the "My Lives" box set. It looks like crap and isn't that cleanly directed by today's standards, though it's much more easily watchable than that hideous abomination of the Yankee Stadium concert DVD. They really need to put together a great concert DVD, I'd love to see that HBO Russia show packaged with the "Matter of Trust" documentary and released together in remastered form -- maybe some day...
Old 04-29-14, 10:33 AM

I missed this Live yesterday, but will certainly catch it on repeat (it's also available On Demand on the Sirius XM mobile app:

Billy Joel SiriusXM Town Hall Event Hosted By Howard Stern

Billy Joel sat today with Howard Stern and special guests for a SiriusXM Town Hall event broadcast live from The Cutting Room in New York City.

BILLY JOEL CHANNEL REPLAYS
Monday 4/28 6pm ET
Tuesday 4/29 Mid ET
Tuesday 4/29 Noon ET
Tuesday 4/29 4pm ET
Tuesday 4/29 10pm ET
Wednesday 4/30 3pm ET
Wednesday 4/30 9pm ET
Thursday 5/1 3am ET

Howard 100 Replays
Monday, 4/28 – the show will replay continuously until 6am ET on Tuesday, 4/29
Thursday, 5/1 – 6am, 11am, 4pm, 9pm & 2am ET
Saturday, 5/3 – 7am & 3pm ET
Sunday, 5/4 – 4am, 12 Noon & 8pm ET

Howard Stern, Billy Joel and Robin Quivers at SiriusXM Town Hall April 28, 2014. (Photo: Doug Gordon)

Billy Joel performs in the studio with Idina Menzel. (Photo: Mike Corrado)

Billy Joel performs in the studio with P!nk. (Photo: Doug Gordon)
Old 04-15-15, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

Billy Joel, girlfriend expecting a baby
The Piano Man's going to be a dad again. At age 65.

Billy Joel and his girlfriend, Alexis Roderick, 33, have confirmed they are expecting a baby this summer. (As Page Six points out, Joel will be 66 at that point.)

Joel has daughter Alexa Ray Joel, 29, with Christie Brinkley. He has been married three times — to Brinkley, Elizabeth Weber Small and Katie Lee.

RadarOnline broke the news on Tuesday, saying Joel and Roderick are expecting a girl. But Joel's statement says Roderick plans to keep any further details of her pregnancy under wraps until their new addition makes an official debut.

Joel has a regular residency at Madison Square Garden in New York City. His next show is slated for May 28.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/p...baby/25807067/
Old 04-16-15, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Alexa and Alexis. Nice.

Maybe this will inspire him to write some new shit.
Old 04-16-15, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

He's going to be in his 80's when the kid hits high school. Damn.
Old 04-16-15, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Streetlife Serenade will be released on SACD this month with the original quad sound.

Originally Posted by reverie
There's still a good handful of things out there that need releasing of his, including the Sigma Sounds Studio broadcast (with a great unreleased, rocking song "Josephine").
This was released with The Piano Man Re-issue I believe. Excellent show.

Last edited by JZ1276; 04-16-15 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-18-15, 01:30 AM

Really? They still make SACDs? I might have to pick that up.
Old 04-18-15, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Really? They still make SACDs?
I had the same question. I thought we were onto DVD audio at this point.
Old 04-19-15, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by fuzzbox
I had the same question. I thought we were onto DVD audio at this point.
Yes they still make SACDs but I'm pretty sure DVD Audio is done.
Old 04-26-15, 01:00 AM

If anyones interested Streetlife Serenade has been pushed back to 5/12. Available for pre-order on Amazon
Old 04-26-15, 04:25 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

His 1984 Wembley concert is awesome. Too bad it's never been officially released on DVD. It was broadcast on TV, so people have recorded it and uploaded it to YouTube:

Old 10-24-17, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

Billy Joel becomes a father again at age 68.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/24/entert...ree/index.html

Old 10-29-21, 12:31 PM

Hear Billy Joel’s ‘New York State of Mind’ From Upcoming 1975 Live LP

Piano Man’s engineer talks the roots of Turnstiles classic ahead of The Vinyl Collection, Vol.1 release
By
DANIEL KREPS

Ahead of the release of Billy Joel’s The Vinyl Collection, Vol. 1, Rolling Stone exclusively presents the rendition of the Piano Man’s “New York State of Mind” that features on the box set’s unreleased live LP,
<i>Live at the Great American Music Hall – 1975</i> Live at the Great American Music Hall – 1975

This rendition — recorded at the famed San Francisco venue in June 1975 — predates the version that would be recorded the following year for 1976’s Turnstiles; the pace here is slightly quicker than the studio version, with Joel still playing with the lyrics (“Must be masochistic New York… state of… mind”) toward the end of the performance.

Engineer Brian Ruggles, Joel’s live sound producer during the Turnstiles era, told Rolling Stone of the track: “We were all living in California in 1974-75. Billy was in Malibu and I was living in Hollywood. He’d been in California for a few years and was really homesick for New York. He wanted to get back there. His roots are in New York and he missed it a lot. He came up with the idea for the song as he rode — on the Hudson River Line, actually — to his house in Highland Falls, New York; he wrote the song down when he got home. This was months before we recorded Turnstiles.”

Joel’s band at the time of this recording boasted drummer Rhys Clark, bassist Doug Stegmeyer, and saxophonist/keyboard Johnny Almond.

“We rehearsed the song and played it at the show one of the first times it was ever performed live, before it was recorded for the album. Billy liked the arrangement, so they recorded it that way on the album,” Ruggles continued. “I remember that the recording truck was owned by the drummer of Creedence Clearwater Revival, and it was parked outside the Great American Music Hall. It was old school recording, but we were able to put together a pretty good recording for this special release. It stands up really well after almost 46 years or so.”

<i>The Vinyl Collection, Vol. 1</i> The Vinyl Collection, Vol. 1
, due out November 5th, features the first six albums of Joel’s career — from 1971’s Cold Spring Harbor to 1978’s 52nd Street — along with the previously unreleased Great American Music Hall – 1975, which will be available exclusively through the box set. The nine-LP collection also comes with a 50-page book with an essay by longtime Rolling Stone contributor Anthony DeCurtis.
Old 10-29-21, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Ew, I had no idea he was still siring children. Put your dick away, man. Young children need an active father, not a poor slobbering vegetable in a nursing-home bed.
Old 11-03-21, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Ew, I had no idea he was still siring children. Put your dick away, man. Young children need an active father, not a poor slobbering vegetable in a nursing-home bed.
"Still" was 4 years ago. That's a 2017 story.

Nevertheless... eww!
Old 11-03-21, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 842 Likes on 588 Posts

His previous wife was 32 years younger than him.
His current wife is 33 years younger than him.

Old fools with money.
Old 11-04-21, 12:25 AM

Being a huge Billy fan, this is disappointing the live album can't be purchased separately.
Old 11-04-21, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Being a huge Billy fan, this is disappointing the live album can't be purchased separately.
I know you wish you had something tangible in your hands, but for the sake of hearing the concert, it's very likely Spotify will have it (since two tracks are already available).
Old 11-30-21, 01:16 PM

Japanese Breakfast just gained some more of my respect :

Old 12-07-21, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

The Stranger is a great, great record.
Old 12-09-21, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
The Stranger is a great, great record.
Agreed. Scenes From An Italian Restaurant is my favorite Billy tune and always been amazing live

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.