Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Keyboard/midi/digital piano question

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-21-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If I have two keyboards, both with midi-in and midi-out plugs, can I just buy a midi plug to combine the two so I can play the voices of one on the other?
Old 05-21-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I think you'd have to be careful with something like this to not create an infinite loop of MIDI data.

Theoretically, you could connect MIDI out from board A to MIDI in of board B and vice versa, so two cables involved. I think the key would be the boards' ability to only sound off based on input from specific channels.

I've known keyboardists who would use one keyboard to trigger both the board they're playing and an additional device at the same time (piano on one, strings on the other for example), but I've never seen someone do that from two boards.

You should check out some synth sites - people there will almost certainly have a better idea.

Again I think the key is making sure both boards don't send out MIDI data after they receive it from one. So if you are playing board A and sending data to board B, you don't want that data coming back to board A, because if board A responds to it, I would think bad things will happen with looping.
Old 05-22-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, bunkaroo... I would only want to bridge one direction, which from the sounds of it, that may avoid what you're describing. Basically I like the voices off of one keyboard, but the "feel" of the other one, so I want to play the voices of the 1 on the keys of the other one...
Old 05-22-08, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by BradJ
Thanks for the feedback, bunkaroo... I would only want to bridge one direction, which from the sounds of it, that may avoid what you're describing. Basically I like the voices off of one keyboard, but the "feel" of the other one, so I want to play the voices of the 1 on the keys of the other one...
Yeah I think that should be fine. Just have to make sure the board you're playing is sending on the same MIDI channel the other board is set to receive on.