Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Madonna makes chart history!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-03-08, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Billboard:

Elvis Presley has been nudged from his standing as the artist with the most top 10s in the rock era, as Madonna surpasses him with her 37th top 10, "4 Minutes." The track, which features Justin Timberlake, clocks a 68-3 jump. Previous to the establishment of the Billboard Hot 100 in 1958, the industry standard chart was the Best Sellers in Stores tally, where Presley scored his first 12 top 10s.

Madonna's Hot 100 jump is spurred by stupendous download sales. "4 Minutes" shifts 217,000 in its first week of wide release (it had been available as a Verizon exclusive) to enter Hot Digital Songs at No. 2.

The week also marks the best single-week digital tally in Madonna's career.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"4 Minutes" is currently the top selling digital song on iTunes and #2 at Amazon.com, where the song was the #1 selling digital song for all of last week. The album, Hard Candy, is due April 29th, and can be pre-ordered in different versions on iTunes and Amazon.com. The video premieres on iTunes and http://www.tick-tock.tv/ on April 4th! The video can be pre-ordered at iTunes, right now!
Old 04-03-08, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good thing you didn't put this in the album thread.
Old 04-03-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts
Looking at this week's top 10, I see Mariah Carey, Usher, Madonna, Leona Lewis, Jordin Sparks, Ray J, Lil Wayne, Chris Brown, Sara Bareilles and Flo Rida. Yet Billboard considers today to be in the same 'rock era' as when Elvis Presley was around? I'm confused.
Old 04-03-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by auto
Good thing you didn't put this in the album thread.

This is about the single, and her making chart history.
Old 04-03-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard a part of 4 minutes on the radio today. Another Timbaland production. It didn't sound uniquely Madonna. That could have easily been Nelly Furtado with JT and it would have sounded the same or better.
Old 04-03-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by big whoppa
I heard a part of 4 minutes on the radio today. Another Timbaland production. It didn't sound uniquely Madonna. That could have easily been Nelly Furtado with JT and it would have sounded the same or better.
Old 04-03-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's a great song and she looks fabulous in the video. Congratulations Madonna. I look forward to all her future singles.
Old 04-03-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nah. It is uniquely Madonna, because it IS Madonna. While the production is very much Timbaland, Madonna and Justin Timberlake make the track work. I don't think it would have sounded the same, nor better, had it been anyone else doing it.
Old 04-03-08, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same here. I heard it earlier and had no idea it was Madonna until her name was mentioned near the end. Not bad or anything...just another Timbaland track with easily replaceable/interchangable vocals.
Old 04-03-08, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
Nah. It is uniquely Madonna, because it IS Madonna. While the production is very much Timbaland, Madonna and Justin Timberlake make the track work. I don't think it would have sounded the same, nor better, had it been anyone else doing it.
Back in the day, Madonna was known as an innovator. It seems like she's playing it safe with the current hitmakers (JT and Timbaland) as well as when she sang with then current megastar, Britney. Can't say about the other songs from the upcoming album.
Old 04-04-08, 12:18 AM
Cool New Member

Back in the day, Madonna was known as an innovator. It seems like she's playing it safe with the current hitmakers (JT and Timbaland) as well as when she sang with then current megastar, Britney. Can't say about the other songs from the upcoming album.
There's a 30-second clip of "Miles Away" on the newly refurbished Madonna.com site. It's another Timbaland produced track that sounds like...acoustic driven Madonna. Either he adapted his style as needed, or Madonna's truly the one in the driver's seat. (Guess which option I go with.)

The rest of the album, if reports are accurate, seems to make '4 minutes' a lone concession to current trends.
Old 04-04-08, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by John Wielgosz
There's a 30-second clip of "Miles Away" on the newly refurbished Madonna.com site. It's another Timbaland produced track that sounds like...acoustic driven Madonna. Either he adapted his style as needed, or Madonna's truly the one in the driver's seat. (Guess which option I go with.)

The rest of the album, if reports are accurate, seems to make '4 minutes' a lone concession to current trends.
Thanks for pointing that out. I had actually posted the widget in the "Licorice" album thread, that has the clip of "Miles Away". By the way, a mod really needs to update that album thread to reflect the actual title of the album, Hard Candy.
Old 04-04-08, 04:04 PM

Cool song and I like the collaborative sound. Madonna is not taking center stage on this one (more like a guest vocalist on her own song, lol). I heard a snip of her next single MILES AWAY on her website and it's got her signature sound.
Old 04-04-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Which one's "True Blue?""
Old 04-10-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by maxfisher
Looking at this week's top 10, I see Mariah Carey, Usher, Madonna, Leona Lewis, Jordin Sparks, Ray J, Lil Wayne, Chris Brown, Sara Bareilles and Flo Rida. Yet Billboard considers today to be in the same 'rock era' as when Elvis Presley was around? I'm confused.
So am I. How can this be possible? Elvis changed the face of music forever and is one of the greatest icons that ever lived and he's now be dumped into the same group as Mariah Carey, Usher, Madonna, Leona Lewis, Jordin Sparks, Ray J, Lil Wayne, Chris Brown, Sara Bareilles and Flo Rida?

What's wrong with this picture?
Old 04-10-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
So am I. How can this be possible? Elvis changed the face of music forever and is one of the greatest icons that ever lived and he's now be dumped into the same group as Mariah Carey, Usher, Madonna, Leona Lewis, Jordin Sparks, Ray J, Lil Wayne, Chris Brown, Sara Bareilles and Flo Rida?

What's wrong with this picture?
There's nothing wrong with the picture, as far as being grouped in with Madonna. She's a legend, an icon, and she's worthy of being up there in the league with Elvis. The other artists you mention, not so much. Yeah, I know, there's always going to be haters of Madonna, who feel that she isn't worthy, but, I will tell you this. It doesn't really matter what you think. The truth is, she has made her mark on music, she has changed the face of music, and is one of the greatest icons that ever lived. You haters can deny it all you want, but, you can't change the facts.
Old 04-10-08, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
There's nothing wrong with the picture, as far as being grouped in with Madonna. She's a legend, an icon, and she's worthy of being up there in the league with Elvis. The other artists you mention, not so much. Yeah, I know, there's always going to be haters of Madonna, who feel that she isn't worthy, but, I will tell you this. It doesn't really matter what you think. The truth is, she has made her mark on music, she has changed the face of music, and is one of the greatest icons that ever lived. You haters can deny it all you want, but, you can't change the facts.
Without Elvis, there would have never been a madonna. Elvis brought rock n roll to the masses which had never seen or heard anything like what he was singing or doing on stage.

Madonna is just in a long line of pop bubble gums stars. I give her credit, she has had an amazing career but she she should not be mentioned in the same breath as Elvis Presley. 31 years after his death, he still rakes in more money the the biggest live acts can today.
Old 04-10-08, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Without Elvis, there would have never been a madonna. Elvis brought rock n roll to the masses which had never seen or heard anything like what he was singing or doing on stage.

Madonna is just in a long line of pop bubble gums stars. I give her credit, she has had an amazing career but she she should not be mentioned in the same breath as Elvis Presley. 31 years after his death, he still rakes in more money the the biggest live acts can today.
You are wrong about Madonna being "just in a long line of pop bubble gums stars". Madonna is far from a bubble gum pop star, if that is what you meant to say. She may have started out that way, but, she has evolved far beyond that, to change the shape of music, just as Elvis did. You may not agree with that. Most Elvis diehards probably wouldn't, because they don't want to admit that there is someone else out there, just as talented and capable of creating, changing, and evolving music. Madonna does, indeed, deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Elvis Presley. You don't agree, and that's fine, but, that doesn't make it fact.
Old 04-10-08, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 04-10-08, 10:51 PM

Madonna is an icon bigger than Elvis. She came out at the dawn of Mtv and not only raised the bar, but set it. No other act since Madonna's debut has come even close to garnering the attention and importance. Britney may embrace the tabloids for her behavior. Mariah may get another #1 single. Janet may go down in history as destroying her career over the Nipplegate fiasco. It doesn't matter. There is only one Madonna.

Aside from Rhythm Nation and perhas Love Will Never Do Without You, has Janet made one video that generated water cooler conversation??? Madonna made the music video. Like a Prayer, Justify My Love, Express Yourself, Music (featuring a then unknown Ali G), Take a Bow and many more. In my mind, she is the M of Mtv.

Not to mention Janet copies Madonna's career. The Like a Prayer album comes out, the video tackles race and relgious issues. What does Janet do next? An album of race issues (Rhythm Nation). Madonna does the sex thing in Erotica. Janet follows with janet. Don't get me wrong. I love Janet too. I am just pointing out some copy cat things she does.

Madonna also has pushed button after button throughout her career. While I know Elvis was controversial for his hip shaking ways, I am too young to know if his every move made headlines. Think about it? Assuming Britney is in shape and makes a video shaking her money maker, nobody bats an eye. Mariah can emancipate her mimi's and people care less. Why? Because Madonna broke the boudaries and opened the door years ago. As I said before, she raised the bar and set it.

Madonna has had a career lasting three decades. This is something any pop or rock star could only dream of.
Old 04-11-08, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Comparing Madonna to Elvis is apples to oranges. It can't be done.
Old 04-11-08, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's stop before Madonna is greater than God.
Old 04-11-08, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had no idea that Guy Ritchie posted here.

= J
Old 04-11-08, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cornbetts
Madonna is an icon bigger than Elvis.

See, this is why people make fun of Madonna fans. Statements like these.

Madonna earned, what, $75MM last year? Elvis earned $50MM. And he's been dead for 31 years.

Come back to us once Madonna's been dead for 31 years.
Old 04-11-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cornbetts
Madonna is an icon bigger than Elvis. She came out at the dawn of Mtv and not only raised the bar, but set it. No other act since Madonna's debut has come even close to garnering the attention and importance.
I like Madonna, but this is funny. What really cracks me up is that Madonna soaked up a lot of influences from the underground and brought them up. She's not the only person who's done this (Bowie), but I still find the worship a little silly.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.