Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Rush in concert.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Since this is the current Rush thread, I thought this was the best place for this.

Original Rush drummer John Rutsey has died at age 55.

http://www.q107.com/Blogs/TheQ107Roc...tryID=10000007
Old 06-22-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
RIP John Rutsey. I'm looking forward to my second Rush concert in two months this coming Saturday in St. Louis. Is anyone else on here going? Also, any hopes for a Snakes & Arrows DVD/Blu-Ray release in the future?
Old 06-22-08, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They never really play The Necromancer or The Fountain Of Lamneth
Old 06-23-08, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
RIP John Rutsey. I'm looking forward to my second Rush concert in two months this coming Saturday in St. Louis. Is anyone else on here going? Also, any hopes for a Snakes & Arrows DVD/Blu-Ray release in the future?
Later this year.
Old 06-23-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SFranke
Later this year.
Awesome news! I hope they decide to release it on Blu-Ray as well. There is nothing like watching a concert with an uncompressed audio track.
Old 07-03-08, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw them last night in Pittsburgh. The changes to the set list really worked. Although I enjoyed the 2007 edition, the 2008 S&A show was much better. It probably helped that I was more familiar with the new material too.

Quick question, how enthusiastic have the crowds been this time around? Rush always gets a good response from the audience here, but last night they were much more vocal than usual, really raising the (shed) roof, and singing along a lot (even with the new material). It was nice to see, and the band certainly appreciated it.

Also, saw a higher number than average of hot women at the show. It's a big change from the old days, when the only women in attendance were bored girlfriends with their arms folded.
Old 07-05-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The show in St. Louis last weekend kicked ass. Their set list was slightly different than the one they played in Oklahoma City in April. I'm pining to get my hands on the Snakes & Arrows dvd that will supposedly come out. I'm hoping they decide to release it on Blu-Ray. I would also like them to revisit their R30 dvd and reinsert the cut songs and release it on Blu-Ray.
Old 07-07-08, 10:57 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I went to the Ac concert on the 4th. I am not a Rush fan, and the ticket was comped. That being said, it was one of the best live shows that I have ever seen.
Old 07-07-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hulkabrgr
I went to the Ac concert on the 4th. I am not a Rush fan, and the ticket was comped. That being said, it was one of the best live shows that I have ever seen.

I have heard a lot of people say this about the Snakes and Arrows tour. It makes me wonder as they have been this good since the Vapor Trails tour when they axed the opening band, played a 3 hour+ set, added the dryers or the chicken roasters and added all the cool background graphics.
Old 07-07-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The show in St. Louis last weekend kicked ass. Their set list was slightly different than the one they played in Oklahoma City in April. I'm pining to get my hands on the Snakes & Arrows dvd that will supposedly come out. I'm hoping they decide to release it on Blu-Ray. I would also like them to revisit their R30 dvd and reinsert the cut songs and release it on Blu-Ray.

Rush on Blu-Ray
Old 07-07-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jason
Saw them last night in Pittsburgh. The changes to the set list really worked. Although I enjoyed the 2007 edition, the 2008 S&A show was much better. It probably helped that I was more familiar with the new material too.

Quick question, how enthusiastic have the crowds been this time around? Rush always gets a good response from the audience here, but last night they were much more vocal than usual, really raising the (shed) roof, and singing along a lot (even with the new material). It was nice to see, and the band certainly appreciated it.

Also, saw a higher number than average of hot women at the show. It's a big change from the old days, when the only women in attendance were bored girlfriends with their arms folded.
The attendance is down over pretty much from last year but raising the ticket price by 30%. not changing the setlist very much, hitting the same locations as they did last year and the recession is not helping.

When reading the reviews of the different concerts they reviews always say that the crowd was 30-40 year old balding men with no women in site.... well that is a bunch of BS I have seen a bunch of hot chicks at all the shows not to mention lots of children ranging from 9-10 to a couple in their eighties that I helped down the stairs (as they had floor seats) They told me they listened to rush for 35 years and have never missed a concert... How fucking cool is that?!?

Not to mention a black family sat behind us and I just had to say that they were in the wrong building as the Phildelphia Soul was over in the Spectum... they had a good laugh about that. Then I asked the father if his name was Giantrobo but he just looked at me funny when I said that.
Old 07-13-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has anyone seen or heard of a date for the Snakes & Arrows dvd release?
Old 07-13-08, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Has anyone seen or heard of a date for the Snakes & Arrows dvd release?
The date is not official yet, sometime this fall.
Old 07-14-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Any idea where it will be/was filmed at? I'd like to see a US/Canadian location. I thought Frankfurt was an unusual choice.
Old 07-14-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw Rush on the Vapor Trails tour. Great show, particularly special since it was the first tour since Neil Peart's personal tragedies, so there was lots of audience support to see him back in action.

Haven't been to any since, I just don't enjoy stadium/arena shows. I miss the intimacy of a club. I hate the mad dash to get decent seats. I hate seeing the venues change corporate ownership every 3 years. And I hate the inept organization & security guards that keep people waiting until after the band has started. When I saw Rush at the CRICKET Pavilion (formerly the BLOCKBUSTER Pavilion), my buddies and I got to listen to "Tom Sawyer" standing in line, helpless as cattle, even though we got there early.

Sorry for the rant... frustrations aside, Rush puts on a great show, and Snakes & Arrows is their first quality album in 15+ years, so if you're capable of enjoying things more than I am (which most people are), should be a great show.
Old 07-14-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Any idea where it will be/was filmed at? I'd like to see a US/Canadian location. I thought Frankfurt was an unusual choice.
They filmed it at their two night stay in Rotterdam.
Old 07-14-08, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lateralus
When reading the reviews of the different concerts they reviews always say that the crowd was 30-40 year old balding men with no women in site....
I know, that's BS (the age part at least, gender is open to debate, hehe). Lots of young folks listen to Rush (I feel old saying that at 25). Especially musicians, Geddy Lee is considered a bass idol. Plus you have those who got into them by playing their parents' CDs & vinyls (in my teens I saw Yes and The Moody Blues in concert with my father). Youngsters are more open-minded than they're given credit for.
Old 07-14-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It should be exactly the same as the 2 cd live set released this year recorded last year in Rotterdam. I'm hoping that they include the "What's that smell" video as at least an extra since it wasn't introduced until the 08 leg of the tour. I will be disappointed if it isn't on there in some form or another.

It's a far cry from the world we thought we'd inherit.
Old 07-15-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rush to make rare TV performance on `Colbert'

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080715/...v_colbert_rush
Old 07-15-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Wow.
Old 07-17-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought that Colbert treated Rush like shit on his show. He interrupted them right in the middle of their performance and they even cut to commercial during their ONE song. What a way to get Rush to do more performances on American tv. Haven't they at least earned a five minute appearance without that asshat interrupting? He did ask some good questions but seemed completely disinterested in what they really had to say.
Old 07-17-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
He seemed more interested in getting laughs and making jokes than asking serious questions.
Old 07-17-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
He seemed more interested in getting laughs and making jokes than asking serious questions.
Yeah whoever heard of someone trying to get laughs and make jokes on Comedy Central. What did you think this was going to be? The Actor's Studio with James Lipton?
Old 07-17-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Come on it was all a skit! Rumor has it they will be on tonight for a little bit as well.
Old 07-17-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lateralus
Come on it was all a skit! Rumor has it they will be on tonight for a little bit as well.
And my guess is they'll still be playing Tom Sawyer when thy show starts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.