Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

are the Prince remasters coming?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

are the Prince remasters coming?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-14, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: are the Prince remasters coming?

Beyond the remasters, he's go so much shit in his vaults - I wish he would start releasing that stuff - I'm sure a lot of it is brilliant.
Old 04-23-14, 07:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Funny you say that since Harrison and Petty both came to him for help in production and song writing and each walked away with one of their biggest selling albums of their careers (Cloud Nine and Full Moon Fever, respectively) and both albums were also critically acclaimed by most at the time. Some consider both of those albums comeback albums for them. Read some interviews with Harrison and Petty. Lynne was hardly riding on their shoulders and honestly, Harrison and Petty were riding Lynne's for those albums. He was also the main driving force behind the acclaimed Traveling Wilburys but is also the one most forgotten. He did the majority of the heavy lifting for that group.

As far as your hatred for "Don't Bring Me Down," I understand it. But the guy has written so many better songs and has so many great albums (both his own, ELO, and as a producer), I find it silly to bash him for that. Every artist with that kind of catalog has several stinkers in their past. Prince is definitely included in that (especially on some of his more recent releases. They just don't get played on the radio anymore).

Sorry for the Jeff Lynne rant in a Prince thread. I just tire of the needless bashing of him.
I'm aware of his production on those two albums, and I've always wished they had production that didn't sound processed into oblivion.

I've heard a lot of ELO songs and can't think of one I'd ever want to listen to again. My dislike of him goes far beyond one particular song.
Old 04-24-14, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Yeah, I never understood the rock industry's fascination with Lynne. He's about as bland of an artist the genre's ever seen. If the color beige had a song, it'd be written, performed and produced by Lynne.
Old 04-24-14, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, I never understood the rock industry's fascination with Lynne. He's about as bland of an artist the genre's ever seen. If the color beige had a song, it'd be written, performed and produced by Lynne.
I don't really know much about ELO except for Mr Blue Sky and I love that song because of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I will say that the stuff he produced for Roy Orbison at the end of his life was pretty awesome.
Old 04-25-14, 11:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Although compared to Steve Miller, Lynne is Joe Strummer.
Old 04-29-14, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I like ELO for the sounds but not so much for the melodies; Lynne tends to rely on sudden tonal shifts that are really 50/50 in execution.

I really like Last Train to London, Secret Messages, Don't Bring Me Down, Telephone Line, Here Is The News, and Calling America.
Old 05-15-14, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give me a remaster of Dirty Mind and give it to me soon! I love Prince's early stuff. I like his later stuff too, but not as much as the early stuff.