Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Waterboys on tour...

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Waterboys on tour...

Old 11-02-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Waterboys on tour...

...saw them in Boston last night---this is definitely the rockin' version of the band! Fisherman's Blues-era fiddler Steve Wickham is back on board, and these guys sound so great. Some new stuff, and lots of old favorites---if you're a fan, don't miss them! This is the same lineup I saw:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WU3Cojf71Ws"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WU3Cojf71Ws" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 06-11-13, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Waterboys on tour...

...okay...not a lot of fans here .

Anyhoo, the Waterboys are back on tour this fall! Got my tickets for the September Boston show. Mike Scott is probably my favorite singer of all time--can't wait for this one. So NOBODY else here is a fan? Come on man, he's brilliant, with a heck of a catalog!

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yWrkveqkkQk?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yWrkveqkkQk?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 06-12-13, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked their 80's work, but lost interest with Fisherman and beyond. I've listend to more than just that, but I just dig the first couple of albums that much.
Old 06-12-13, 06:00 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

good music for the soul. love the Waterboys
Old 06-18-13, 12:19 AM

Did anyone catch Mike Scott a few months ago on his book tour? He read some passages, and then finished off the evening with some acoustic tunes ... during which Steve Wickham joined him. There were maybe 40 of us in the audience .. quite an intimate setting. The music was electrifying!

All of which means I'm *really* looking forward to the new tour by The Waterboys.
Old 06-18-13, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Saxofonix
Did anyone catch Mike Scott a few months ago on his book tour? He read some passages, and then finished off the evening with some acoustic tunes ... during which Steve Wickham joined him. There were maybe 40 of us in the audience .. quite an intimate setting. The music was electrifying!

All of which means I'm *really* looking forward to the new tour by The Waterboys.
Yes, I did see him in Boston on that tour. Loved his story about hating music videos, and finally agreeing to do one--something along the lines of "And as I was being filmed, lying on my back in the dry ice fog, it suddenly occurred to me that now I was actually STARRING in a terrible, cheesy, cliched music video. And when I saw it, with my head coming out of the clouds like the great Jehovah, I refused to let it be released." And as he mentioned, it is up on youtube

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a2CGFibg7yc?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a2CGFibg7yc?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 06-19-13, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever happened to Karl Wallinger? World Party was an excellent band too.
Old 06-19-13, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I liked some of World Party's early singles---I didn't really keep up with them, though.
Old 06-20-13, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe the most recent World Party release was a box set with plenty of odd and ends. And I think he recently (or will be?) toured. Karl had an aneurysm shortly after his last studio album (back in 2000). Took him some time to recover, but he's back in the game. While I really like the Waterboys, I think World Party has a more consistent discography.
Old 06-20-13, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Arkeology - it's 5 discs and actually full of good stuff.
http://www.amazon.com/Arkeology-Worl...dp/B007BS10IK/
Old 04-21-15, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

....and, I'm going to see them again in Boston next week. Dang, I pretty much like everything Mike does. Off the new album:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/16cWUna8QZg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-21-15, 08:13 PM
Banned

Thanks, Ky-Fi. Got into them around the time of A Pagan Place & This is the Sea (and then picked up their debut). Also picked up LP's of World Party. Was listening to a lot of UK bands then (Big Country, Cactus World News, Simple Minds, Alarm...U2 pulled me in that direction).

I liked much of their output but not so much others. Actually found Fisherman's Blues to be more to my liking from a consistency standpoint.

Nice Letterman clip...good to hear Mike Scott in good voice.

Since you catch a lot of Boston shows, did you ever get to see Juliana Hatfield/Blake Babies? Aimee Mann still get around that area since marrying Michael Penn?
Old 04-21-15, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Thanks, Ky-Fi. Got into them around the time of A Pagan Place & This is the Sea (and then picked up their debut). Also picked up LP's of World Party. Was listening to a lot of UK bands then (Big Country, Cactus World News, Simple Minds, Alarm...U2 pulled me in that direction).

I liked much of their output but not so much others. Actually found Fisherman's Blues to be more to my liking from a consistency standpoint.

Nice Letterman clip...good to hear Mike Scott in good voice.

Since you catch a lot of Boston shows, did you ever get to see Juliana Hatfield/Blake Babies? Aimee Mann still get around that area since marrying Michael Penn?
Hey creek, I must admit I never really got into Julian Hatfield or Aimee Mann---I don't dislike either of them, but they never drew me in enough to explore their work in any depth. I don't even know enough of their work to say much about them.

But yeah, U2, Big Country, The Alarm, Simple Minds and the Waterboys were the bands that really drew me into music during my formative years. Simple Minds and The Waterboys have kept my interest through the years and I've bought pretty much all their releases. I've seen (and met) Mike Peters of The Alarm numerous times over the years (and as the Big Country singer). His songwriting is hit and miss, but he's one of the truly good guys of rock, IMO.
U2 lost me somewhere along the way, and I can't really put my finger on why, exactly. I don't strongly dislike any of their later stuff, but it just got kind of bland to me. Music is so subjective!

edit: Oh yeah, regarding the Waterboys, I do think Fisherman's Blues is their masterpiece, and A Pagan Place and This is the Sea are right there for me, as well. Mike's solo albums are really strong, too, if you haven't checked them out. Especially "Still Burning".