Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Pete Yorn - "Nightcrawler" 8/29/06

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-06, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really looking forward to the new Pete Yorn album that is due out at the end of the month. I went to see him in concert a few weeks ago and got to meet him. Cool dude. From what I understand, this album will complete his trilogy of records that began with "Music For The Morning After" in 2001 and continued with "Day I Forgot" in 2003. Here is a link where you can listen to streaming samples of all fourteen of the tracks:

http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/...8&skuId=111463

Some of you may notice that he included his song "Undercover" off of the Spiderman soundtrack from a few years ago as well as his cover of "Splendid Isolation" by Warren Zevon. (From a tribute album a couple years ago.) Apparently he's including these because he felt that they fit with the overall theme of the album. Normally, I would complain when an artist does something like this, but there are twelve other "new" songs on there too.

In addition, he's recorded a separate six song EP entitled "Westerns" which is available at the shows when you pre-order the new album. The songs have a little more "country" feel to them and they are fantastic! And as if that weren't enough Pete Yorn goodness, he also has recorded several other songs which may surface as b-sides or bonus tracks. These include "Old Boy", "Go With It", and "When She's Mine". I can't wait!

Here's a couple more links with some audio/video content:

http://www.peteyorn.com/

http://www.sonybmg.com/musicbox/video/peteyorn

Last edited by ltrain; 08-05-06 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-06-06, 01:49 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

westerns was great. looking forward to this.

Pete Yorn's great.
Old 08-08-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've seen Pete twice and he plays a good show. I'll definitely pick up his new release.

Is there anyway to get "Westerns" besides the shows? I couldn't find it on his website.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 08-08-06 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-10-06, 08:54 PM

I'm not sure about getting the Westerns EP without the pre-order, but I bet that some retail outlets might have it as a free giveaway when the album comes out on the 29th. I work at an FYE and I did notice that we had two separate sku's in the inventory for the album. I'm not sure exactly what the differences between the two versions are. (They were both the same price, possibly a limited edition or something?)

LiquidSky - If you don't have any luck getting the EP, let me know.
Old 08-11-06, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ltrain
I'm not sure about getting the Westerns EP without the pre-order, but I bet that some retail outlets might have it as a free giveaway when the album comes out on the 29th. I work at an FYE and I did notice that we had two separate sku's in the inventory for the album. I'm not sure exactly what the differences between the two versions are. (They were both the same price, possibly a limited edition or something?)

LiquidSky - If you don't have any luck getting the EP, let me know.
Thanks! Sometimes Tower has an extra attached to a new release. That's what they did when I picked up a CD by Ambulance LTD (it had an EP with extra songs). I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-19-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I own Musicforthemorningafter, Day I Forgot, and Live From New Jersey, and I'm actually going to wait a little and see how people like the new album. Undercover's a fantastic song so if it fits in with the rest of the album then I think that's a positive sign. Musicfor. . . is still one of my all time favorites, but Day I Forgot, while had some good tracks, as an album was disappointing. I'm kind of wondering how his new one will turn out.

Anyone heard the album yet? (I know it's not out for another 10 days, just wondering)

Circuit City has it for 9.99 during release week, plus some CC exclusive download and 5 dollars off any itunes music card

Last edited by theneobez; 08-19-06 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-20-06, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by theneobez

Anyone heard the album yet? (I know it's not out for another 10 days, just wondering)

Circuit City has it for 9.99 during release week, plus some CC exclusive download and 5 dollars off any itunes music card

From what I've heard so far, I think it's going to be excellent. Granted, I haven't heard the entire thing yet (just samples and snippets of the new songs with the exception of "For Us"). Plus the stuff I've heard live. I think that if you dig his other stuff, it should appeal to you.

I've heard a lot of people say that Day I Forgot was kind of a disappointment, but I thought it was really good. It was a much more polished record than MFTMA which I think turned some people off because it came across as a little too "pop". In some ways, I think it was a more accessable album for radio to get into. I met this guy named Jason a few months ago who toured with Pete for MFTMA a few years back (he now plays with Joshua Radin) and he said that Pete is kind of lazy sometimes and many of the songs that ended up on Day I Forgot probably shouldn't have made the cut. I think part of the problem is that he writes so much stuff, that it's hard for him to pick and choose what ends up on an album and what gets pushed aside.

Anyway, for $10 at CC what have you got to lose? I try not to pay too much attention to what the critics say about music these days. Some stuff that gets four stars in Rolling Stone and is supposed to be awesome, ends up being crap, and vice versa. I know what kind of music I like, and PY happens to be a personal favorite so I guess I'm a little biased.

Edited to add: VH1.com now has the entire album streaming over at

http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/yorn_p...opThis=playIt()

Sounds excellent!

Last edited by ltrain; 08-22-06 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-28-06, 12:28 PM

-Bump

Album comes out tomorrow! I've been listening to a promo copy for the past several days and I believe that this is some of the strongest material that Pete's ever done. Go check out it out!
Old 08-28-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmm, the poor college student inside of me is confused as to what to do
Old 08-29-06, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll be picking one up on the way home this evening.
Old 08-29-06, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by ltrain
And as if that weren't enough Pete Yorn goodness, he also has recorded several other songs which may surface as b-sides or bonus tracks. These include "Old Boy", "Go With It", and "When She's Mine". I can't wait!
http://www.sonybmg.com/musicbox/video/peteyorn
The Best Buy bonus songs are "Baby I'm Gone" and "The Party."
Looks like "Go With It" is the iTunes bonus song.
Old 11-06-07, 08:34 PM

Extra Acoustic You and Me Tour EPs

Great to see other Pete Yorn fans here! Did anyone attend any of his acoustic shows he did last year?

In my collecting haze, I've acquired a few extra copies of some of the Acoustic You and Me EPs. Does anyone want to take them off my hands? I've got extras of:

Live from Lou's Records
Live from Waterloo
Live from Rasputin
Live from Vintage Vinyl
Live from New World Records
Live from AKA Music
Live from Criminal Records
Live from Dimple Records
Live from Easy Street

Post a message here or send me a message for details. I'm up for a trade or whatever. Thanks!