Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Do edited CDs have to be labeled as edited?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-19-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm confused here, I picked up the new Motion City Soundtrack CD from Target today. I looked it up on Amazon and it's listed as explicit lyrics and it also says that on Best Buy and Circuit City. I completely forgot about that and just realized after I opened it that it wasn't labeled as explicit.

But it's also not labeled edited, which I thought Walmart did to all of their CDs. There are a few explicit lyrics that I've heard on the CD so far, but I haven't been listening that closely at work. The album front doesn't have any labels or warnings at all, is there any way to know for sure that this is or is not edited?
Old 09-19-07, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
I could be wrong but I think it's supposed to get the Parental Advisory label if it's in it's original uncensored form. If it doesn't have a label then it could be "cleaned up". I made this mistake a few times. I bought the Scissor Sister's CD and I didn't noticed until I got home that it didn't have the PA label, sure enough the swearing was censored.

Plus isn't it true that some places will only sell the cleaned up versions? So you know that if you got it as "Store X" then you're pretty much not getting the "good stuff".
Old 09-19-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what i understand, indie labels don't even have to put on a sticker if they don't want to, which is somewhat amusing finding like a Six Feet Under album or the first Avenged Sevenfold at Wal Mart.
Old 09-20-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've now listened to it a few times and can't notice any words edited and there are a few f-bombs dropped more than once in a song, so I think I'm in good shape. It's still annoying to try and figure this shit out, is Epitaph considered an indie label? I think that's who released this CD.
Old 09-20-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought it and had read online about a clean version as well... I checked with the store clerk and their system only had 1 listing, so I went ahead and bought it and yes, it's the explicit version, it just doesn't have an advisory label on it. (which is weird because their last record DID have one on it).
Old 09-20-07, 03:27 PM

What I think is more annoying is buying an un-edited CD and then discovering that it still has edits. (Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP comes to mind immediately)
Old 09-20-07, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by prp2
What I think is more annoying is buying an un-edited CD and then discovering that it still has edits. (Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP comes to mind immediately)
Those edits were part of the album. That is what he intended.
Old 09-20-07, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm confused about the new Avril Lavigne 'Best Damn Thing' album. Since I know there is a 'clean' version and an uncut version. And Target normally carries the uncut versions. But the copies I saw on the shelf lacked the advisory sticker and it didn't say 'edited' anywhere on the package.

And even at Best Buy,I've seen the non-stickered copies of that album.
Old 09-20-07, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by auto
Those edits were part of the album. That is what he intended.
Um, no. Those edits were put in place to avoid lawsuits - the lawyers said certain words had to go (on both this and the slim shady lp) otherwise he could have been sued for liable.

And in regards to Avril, the only way to get the unedited version is the 2 disc deluxe version - the 'regular' version in all stores is the 'clean' version - weakest marketing ploy EVER IMO.
Old 09-21-07, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well there is a small edit on the Lily Allen album with the "dressing like a ****" getting muted, not sure if that was the record company deleting it or not. Also the new Common cd has a few blank spots as well.

Also the Avril dvd that comes with the explicit version is somewhat amusing, in seeing her do a few shots of Jeger and Lemon Jello and coming up with lyrics. And there are a few parts on the album where you can tell she is a little wasted singing.
Old 09-21-07, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
An edited CD is usually marked on the bar code sticker affixed to the shrink wrap, not the actual CD case.