Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm Not There (soundtrack) - 10/30/07 (Dylan covers)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-13-07, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Vinyl Fever looks to have trumped all of us chasing after the "I'm Not There" soundtrack details and good for them. They've got what appears to be the entire tracklist and it syncs up with those artists that we recently reported first - Eddie Vedder, Karen O, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Sufjan Stevens, Wilco's Jeff Tweedy. As we reported, their release date is October 30, however their tracklisting has 33, not 34 tracks (Deep Throat has been known to have off days).

Interesting new additions include Antony and the Johnsons, Mark Lanegan, the Black Keys and Television's Tom Verlaine. Rounding out the list of new soundtrack contributors are Jack Johnson, Mira Billotte (of White Magic and Quix*o*tic), Bob Forrest (ex-Thelonious Monster; looks like it...), Ramblin' Jack Elliot and Los Lobos.

Looks Like Calexico are almost the house band on this thing working with Iron & Wine, Willie Nelson, My Morning Jacket's Jim James, Charlotte Gainsbourg and Roger McGuinn.

But the million dollar question is, who is The Million Dollar Bashers? They back a multitude of artists on this soundtrack .

As we predicted, Dylan's much-sought and never-officially-released version of "I'm Not There" (from the Genuine Basement Tapes) is included on the disc (discs?) and our old reported rumor of Mason Jennings' inclusion also turned out to be true.

Tracklist according to Vinyl Fever:

All Along The Watchtower --Eddie Vedder & The Million Dollar Bashers
As I Went Out One Morning--Mira Billotte
Ballad Of A Thin Man--Stephen Malkmus & The Million Dollar Bashers
Billy--Los Lobos
Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window--The Hold Steady
Can't Leave Her Behind--Stephen Malkmus & Lee Ranaldo
Cold Irons Bound--Tom Verlaine & The Million Dollar Bashers
Dark Eyes--Iron & Wine & Calexico
Fourth Time Around--Yo La Tengo
Goin' To Acapulco--Jim James & Calexico
Highway 61 Revisited--Karen O & The Million Dollar Bashers
I Wanna Be Your Lover--Yo La Tengo
I'm Not There--Bob Dylan
I'm Not There--Sonic Youth
Just Like A Woman--Charlotte Gainsbourg & Calexico
Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues--Ramblin' Jack Elliot
Knockin' On Heaven's Door--Antony & The Johnsons
The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll--Mason Jennings
Maggie's Farm--Stephen Malkmus & The Million Dollar Bashers
Mama You've Been On My Mind--Jack Johnson
The Man In The Long Black Coat--Mark Lanegan
Moonshiner--Bob Forrest
One More Cup Of Coffee--Roger McGuinn & Calexico
Pressing On--John Doe
Ring Them Bells--Sufjan Stevens
Seņor (Tales Of Yankee Power)--Willie Nelson & Calexico
Simple Twist Of Fate--Jeff Tweedy
Stuck Inside Of Mobile With Memphis Blues Again--Cat Power
The Times They Are A Changin'--Mason Jennings
Tombstone Blues--Richie Havens
When The Ship Comes In--Marcus Carl Franklin
Wicked Messenger--The Black Keys
You Ain't Goin 'Nowhere--Glen Hansard & Markta Irglov

----------------------

Well doesn't this just look awesome?!
Old 09-14-07, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All Along The Watchtower --Eddie Vedder & The Million Dollar Bashers

The Man In The Long Black Coat--Mark Lanegan

One More Cup Of Coffee--Roger McGuinn & Calexico

Seņor (Tales Of Yankee Power)--Willie Nelson & Calexico

Simple Twist Of Fate--Jeff Tweedy

Stuck Inside Of Mobile With Memphis Blues Again--Cat Power

Tombstone Blues--Richie Havens

those selections alone get a big from me - should be good !
and if anyone can track down Lee Renaldo's cover of Visions of Johanna, you're in for a treat.
Old 09-14-07, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I picked up an interesting CD a few weeks ago:

"Simple Twist of Fate" by Dave's True Story, a jazz band. All Dylan covers, there are a few good ones on there.
Old 09-15-07, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
I absolutely can't wait for this soundtrack. I don't know if the movie's going to be fantastic or a flop, but the soundtrack alone is a stunning selection of artists.
Old 09-15-07, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
I absolutely can't wait for this soundtrack. I don't know if the movie's going to be fantastic or a flop, but the soundtrack alone is a stunning selection of artists.
Apparently, the movie's very good. Taken from Hollywood Elsewhere by Jeffery Wells:

Anyone who says Todd Haynes' I'm Not There (Weinstein Co., 11.21) isn't an essential film to see -- not just for the portions that "deliver" but the ones that are radiantly, eye-poppingly alive -- is operating without the DNA of a true movie lover...it's that simple. This is a great poetry-weave film, a reanimation of '60s spiritual-cultural energy like no feature I can recall, and a magnificent head-tease that is always arresting, even during the fumble portions.

Cate Blanchett in I'm Not There

It's not all-the-way fantastic (20% or 30% drags and meanders and sometimes confounds), but I'm saying for sure that you can't not see it. You can blow it off when it opens theatrically and wait for the DVD, sure, but this will probably incur the suspicion of trusted friends and colleagues. Honestly, do you want that?

I knew Haynes had taken a huge bite going in with this ultra-ambitious patchwork exploration of Bob Dylan's life and legend (spanning from the late '50s to late '60s), in which he uses six different actors (Cate Blanchett, Christian Bale, Carl Franklin, Richard Gere, Heath Ledger and Ben Whishaw) along with numerous styles and palettes to convey various aspects of this unique life and legend.

What I didn't anticipate was his impressive use of montage that ties together the various strands and makes a kind of harmony out of what could have been serious chaos. Nor did I expect the magnificent detail in each frame, the always-brisk pacing and the sheer "fun" aspect.

An example of the latter is a Dylan-frolics-with-the-Beatles-in-''64 moment that's absolutely hilarious in a kind of of Jacques Tati-meets-Charlie Chaplin-meets A Hard Day's Night sense.

Did I mention this is Haynes' absolute best film? That he's pulled off one of the most exciting growth-surge displays of any directorial career, ever?

I'd heard from a friend at Telluride that I'm Not There is "an inside joke for Dylanologists" and okay, yeah, it is that...but for anyone open to full-crank cinematic stimulation it's one of the most inventive and dazzling head-trip films I've ever seen. I went into it this afternoon with some trepidation, and then realized within minutes it would be much, much better than anticipated. It doesn't really have much of a "thread" (by the classic definition of that term) and it loses tension from time to time, but when it's "on" and rolling full steam it's a wild-ass thing to behold.

On top of which it has to be seen for Blanchett's knockout performance (captured entirely in black and white) as the Highway 61 Revisited/Blonde on Blonde Dylan. Forget Cate's game performance in the catastrophic Elizabeth: The Golden Age and absolutely count on the fact that she'll be nominated for Best Supporting Actress in the Haynes pic. Dylan fans are going to be blown away, but I can see others digging it as one of the best woman-playing-a man tour de forces ever put to film.

On one level her inhabiting of the '65-to-'66 Dylan doesn't feel entirely sincere -- it's a piece of performance art that feels a wee bit put-onny -- but another level it's psychologically "real" and shattering. For me Blanchett delivers as much of a knockout punch as Marion Cotillard's Edith Piaf does in La Vie en Rose or Jamie Foxx did in Ray, and perhaps even more so.

I'm speaking about much more than a physical capturing -- the frizzy big hair, black shades, tight pants, Beatle boots and whatnot -- or Blanchett's spot-on imitation of his mumbly voice and guarded manner. I'm talking mainly about a convincing communion with that Dylan-esque otherness...that sense of odd, connected whimsy and all-knowing, tapped-in power that indicated all kinds of fascinating currents in the actual guy.

Yes, the Gere-in-the-country portion (a chapter evoking the reclusive John Wesley Harding/New Morning era) slows things down a bit, but even this section has its odd carnival-like charms. I'll admit I was feeling a wee bit anxious and impatient, but Haynes saves it somewhat by cutting back to the Blanchett, Ledger, Bale and Whishaw portions now and then and thereby creating a welcome whatever-ness that at least staves off boredom.

Will those who've never listened to a Dylan album or seen Martin Scorsese's masterful No Direction Home be able to get into this film? Probably not, but the Dylan-deprived aren't going to see it in the first place so the question is moot.

I felt alive and tingly as I walked down Bloor Street after seeing this film early this afternoon. I was saying to myself "this is what it feels like to feel charged up by a movie, by transcendent thought, by ravishing lyrics...by the whole magilla."

Old 10-23-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Bumping for the impending release. . .

The finalized track-listing:

Disc 1
1. Eddie Vedder and the Million Dollar Bashers: "All Along the Watchtower"
2. Sonic Youth: "I'm Not There"
3. Jim James and Calexico: "Goin' to Acapulco"
4. Richie Havens: "Tombstone Blues"
5. Stephen Malkmus and the Million Dollar Bashers: "Ballad of a Thin Man"
6. Cat Power: "Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again"
7. John Doe: "Pressing On"
8. Yo La Tengo: "Fourth Time Around"
9. Iron and Wine and Calexico: "Dark Eyes"
10. Karen O and the Million Dollar Bashers: "Highway 61 Revisited"
11. Roger McGuinn and Calexico: "One More Cup of Coffee"
12. Mason Jennings: "The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll"
13. Los Lobos: "Billy"
14. Jeff Tweedy: "Simple Twist of Fate"
15. Mark Lanegan: "The Man in the Long Black Coat"
16. Willie Nelson and Calexico: "Seņor (Tales of Yankee Power)"

Disc 2
1. Mira Billotte: "As I Went Out One Morning"
2. Stephen Malkmus and Lee Ranaldo: "Can't Leave Her Behind"
3. Sufjan Stevens: "Ring Them Bells"
4. Charlotte Gainsbourg and Calexico: "Just Like a Woman"
5. Jack Johnson: "Mama You've Been on My Mind"
6. Yo La Tengo: "I Wanna Be Your Lover"
7. Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova: "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere"
8. The Hold Steady: "Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window"
9. Ramblin' Jack Elliott: "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues"
10. The Black Keys: "Wicked Messenger"
11. Tom Verlaine and the Million Dollar Bashers: "Cold Irons Bound"
12. Mason Jennings: "The Times They Are a-Changin'"
13. Stephen Malkmus and the Million Dollar Bashers: "Maggie's Farm"
14. Marcus Carl Franklin: "When the Ship Comes In"
15. Bob Forrest: "Moonshiner"
16. John Doe: "I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine"
17. Antony and the Johnsons: "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"
18. Bob Dylan: "I'm Not There"

--------------

http://www.myspace.com/imnottheresoundtrack

Currently available for listening there:

Sufjan Stevens: "Ring Them Bells"
Cat Power: "Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again"
Jim James and Calexico: "Goin' to Acapulco"
Jeff Tweedy: "Simple Twist of Fate"

-------------------

Originally Posted by The Playlist
But the million dollar question is, who is The Million Dollar Bashers? They back a multitude of artists on this soundtrack.
"Considering it has already been reported that Malkmus' sessions were recorded with Sonic Youth's Lee Ranaldo and Dylan bass player Tony Garnier, we figured these two were involved. Turns out we weren't far off the mark. Our source also revealed the band's membership which includes the aforementioned Ranaldo and Garnier, plus Sonic Youth drummer Steve Shelley, Verlaine, keyboardist John Medeski (from Martin, Medeski and Wood), guitarist Smokey Hormel (onetime Beck guitarist, Smokey & Miho) and Wilco avante-guitarist Nels Cline."
Old 10-23-07, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm really looking forward to the Mason Jennings songs as well as Cat Power's cover.