Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Kenny Wayne Shepherd news

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 02-16-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts

FINALLY! I have been dying for some new KWS. Looks like he is putting together a new band, but thankfully Noah is staying. He has a killer voice.

from KWS Official
January 2004

Happy New Year….

I would like to take this opportunity to wish all of you a very Happy and Prosperous 2004.

I would also like to thank all of our “hardcore” fans patiently waiting for a new KWS CD. I am happy to report to you that Noah and I are in the studio in Los Angeles as I am writing this, recording the new album. The process has taken longer than all of us would have liked, but you will be hearing new music this year (sooner, rather than later!). We should have all recording done by March, and then it takes the record company about three to four months to get it out. You can expect to hear some music early summer with the album release tentatively set for late July or early August.

As I have told you in the past, I took some much needed time off, but for the last year I haven’t been sitting still. Doing the Rockport ad campaign with B.B. King, sitting in on friend’s projects, like Kid Rock’s album and touring with ZZ Top last year. I have also been collaborating with producer Marti Frederiksen for over a year writing new songs. We have been taking our time, getting it right, and now we’re recording full time until it’s done. There is going to be a lot of surprises on this record, and I promise you, we will be breaking new ground, and we will also be taking care of our fans that want to hear the Blues.

As soon as recording is completed we will begin putting together the new KWS Band. Auditions will take place in the spring. I would like to do a short club tour to introduce the new band to our closest friends while the record company is doing the marketing set up for the release of the album, Then along with the release of the album, full scale touring for the remainder of the year and covering the U.S. and hopefully overseas as well.

Keep checking the site…soon we will have some photos of the sessions and maybe a stream or two of new music if we can slip it by the “label” police!

Kenny Wayne Shepherd
and from Noah Hunt's website:

Shepherd says that he's tossing around the idea two albums: one rock and one blues. Currently he is at work on a rock-flavored album that seems to be progressing faster than expected. "We were in the studio yesterday, doing drum tracks; we went in to do five songs and we did eight in two days. If the rest happens that quickly and that easily we'll realistcally get it out by spring.
Right now the material varies. Acording to Shepherd there's some pretty heavy stuff, good ballads,and some classic-flavored stuff. "I don't what to compare it to really" he says."when I go into make an album, the only stuff I listen to is what inspired me to play:Hendrix, B.B. King, and all that. I don't listen to the cool thing or whats current. I don't want outside influences. I want to createstuff from inside me."

Of course, Shepherd's blues fans need not be worried about KW's current rock tendencies. There's a blues album on tap as well. " Im not going to abandon blues" he says decisively. " I did a track on Kid Rock's new record, and some of my hardcore fans were wondering about why I did it. But it doesn't matter what I play on:the guitar and the way I play it will reveal those blues influences. Thoses are my roots. You're gonna hear those roots. That's another reason we're gonna do the blues album, to ensure my fans they don't have to worry; I'm still in love with the blues.

I didn't know he was on Kid Rock's album. I need to check that track("Black Bob") out.
Old 02-16-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice. looking forward to anything KWS does. thanks!
Old 02-17-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Excellent!! Picked up an autographed copy of his first CD at a used CD store a few years back. Great artist. A definate cut above Jonny Lang for sure.
Old 02-17-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've never heard Johnny Lang until a month or so ago. A friend has always gone on and on about him. Anyway he was on an episode of Letterman I saw. He sang "red light." What an annoying song. It just had the feel of "hey I want to do blues, but I really want to be a famous pop artist as well."

I know it is bad to judge an artist on one song, but that one just grates on my nerves. I have zero desire to hear anything else from him.
Old 09-20-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oct. 5th. Go to his site and pick up an autographed copy.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 09-21-04 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-20-04, 09:55 PM

Hey Mike, you might wanna fix your link. It's missing a period.

The new album is definitely good news, but I'm waiting for the day he releases a live one. Couldn't you just imagine how blistering that disc would be?
Old 10-04-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just got this in the mail today. Upon 1 listen I must say the tracks where KWS aren't singing are the best. Does that mean he isn't that good? No, it just shows how great Noah Hunt is. The instrumental track is amazing as well.

As for KWS singing, he sounds like a cross between Daniel Johns of Silverchair and Lenny Kravitz. This album has more of a rock feel to it. The bluesy tracks are better. But on the whole it is a solid effort.

Detail: the cover notes it as "Kenny Wayne Shepherd" and not "Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band."

This will be my last post as it seems I have been having a conversation with myself.
Old 10-04-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the info Michael. Sorry to hear that Noah only appears on two cuts... I really liked his voice. Kenny's voice is okay, but not great. Of course I never thought SRVs voice was lead vocal material and he's one of my favorite artists ever, so I'm sure I can get over it.
Old 03-17-07, 06:16 AM

The New Kenny Wayne Shepherd

Concept That for me is unique actually. Kenny Wayne made a trip of 10 days in the US to meet and play with his idols (B. B. King, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, Hubert Sumlin, Pinetop Perkins, Henry Townsend, Honeyboy Edwards, Cootie Stark, Neal Pattman, and Etta Baker, Jerry "Boogie" McCain, Buddy Flett, Bryan Lee, John Dee Holeman, The Howlin' Wolf Band and thee Muddy Waters Band ).
This new release is a combo of CD/DVD. The CD is the soundtrack of the DVD Documentary. We found some compositions of the meeting bluesmen and for one time the CD is full !! 80 Minutes of pure good blues. There is a good mix between Acoustic and electric.

The DVD is very good but it’s a documentary and not a DVD Live, Of course we can see some part of the performance but necessary complete except for the last day who was a Live show on a church with the Members of the Howling Wolf band and after with the members of the Muddy Water Band.

Partial proceeds of this project are being donated to Music Maker Relief Foundation

Here is some samples :

TV Spot

http://streamos.wbr.com/wmedia/wbr/k...railer_300.wvx

Music

http://streamos.wbr.com/wmedia/wbr/k...y-flett_56.wax
http://streamos.wbr.com/wmedia/wbr/k...yan-lee_56.wax
http://streamos.wbr.com/wmedia/wbr/k...e-stark_56.wax
http://streamos.wbr.com/wmedia/wbr/k...bb-king_56.wax

Video

http://streamos.wbr.com/wmedia/wbr/k...oonful_220.wvx

http://streamos.wbr.com/wmedia/wbr/k...-blues_220.wvx