Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Weird Al Yankovic Appreciation Thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Weird Al Yankovic Appreciation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-09, 04:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Re: The Weird Al Yankovic Appreciation Thread

holy f-in sh*t! i was just coming here to post a thread on "Weird Al" because last night at like 11pm i came across "Craigslist" on iTunes. heard it liked it downloaded it.

then i recalled how much i loved the album "In 3-D", so i downloaded all those great ones including one of my favorite songs of all time "Midnight Star".

then, i downloaded some i never heard before and liked. downloaded 28 songs of his last night and i can't wait to walk my 6.5 miles hoping for one of them to come on while the shuffle on my iPod is going, but i did set MS to come on first.

wow! i love me some "Weird Al"!!!
Old 06-18-09, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Midnight Star
Old 06-18-09, 05:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Midnight Star
right! that "Nature Trail to Hell", "King of Suede", and "That Boy Could Dance" transcend the parody genre that he is known for and are actually good tunes!

Last edited by OldBoy; 06-23-09 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-20-09, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not too keen on the new song since I really hate The Doors and anything from that era of music. Classic Al lyrics, though.
Old 07-10-09, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by achau9598
I didn't see it mentioned, but Al has a new track out - "Craigslist" .. I haven't heard anything about it, and can't hear it here at work .. Anyone pick it up? Comments? Apparently it is a style-parody, and is done like The Doors.
Are you having a laugh?
Old 07-10-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you having a laugh?
I am absolutely losing my mind lately .. I swear I didn't see the posts above when I first came into this thread .. Either my browser is messing up (it didn't show the last page of posts) .. Deleted my post and moving on ... lol

Last edited by A-aron; 07-10-09 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-14-09, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Another one! Skipper Dan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNo8LvdOwSk
Old 07-14-09, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weird Al is and always has been hilarious. I can't believe there are people who never really listened to him before. Strange.

On a someone related note, have you guys heard of Bino White? This guy was on the original season of Beauty And The Geek (Joe was his name) and he showed some of his rapping skills on the show, but he has been releasing a LOT of music on the internet lately. He's actually been releasing one song a week for the past 39 weeks now. Some of them are silly, but he's actually a very clever lyricist and he's hilarious to listen to.

www.youtube.com/binowhite

Check him out, seriously. You won't be disappointed.
Old 07-15-09, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Not bad... I guess its in the style of Weezer or something... or maybe its just an original with no "style" to it?
Old 08-04-09, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

CNR

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IrGmD2wk8m4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IrGmD2wk8m4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Old 08-04-09, 09:52 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I may have missed it, but I'm surprised Al didn't have an official statement on the death of Michael Jackson. Considering how much Jackson songs had a hand in building his career, I'd think he'd at least mention it on his website.

Wait, nevermind. Google is my friend.

His Twitter comment: Oh man. Can't believe it. RIP Michael Jackson.

His comments at Pop Eater that are from the Rolling Stone bit...

And his comments in Rolling Stone.

Last edited by story; 08-04-09 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Google!
Old 08-04-09, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

CNR

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IrGmD2wk8m4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IrGmD2wk8m4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
So its a White Stripes parody I'm assuming based on the video.
Old 08-04-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Back when Eat It came out, who could've imagined that not only would Al outlast Michael Jackson, but that he'd remain far more consistently relevant than MJ ever would.
Old 08-04-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Weird Al!
Old 08-04-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Way back in the late 70s at CBGBs there was a guy who came on with an accordian. The only song I remember was Gloria. It was very funny with him screaming G-L-O-R-I-A and then going nuts on the accordian. I always wondered if that was Wierd Al. I think but am not sure that he was billed as Tumbleweed.
Old 08-04-09, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
So its a White Stripes parody I'm assuming based on the video.
...and a genius one too.
Old 08-05-09, 08:36 AM

This is another "style of" song. I'm really hoping that the final "Internet Leaks" song is a true parody... but as this is an EP of songs from next years album, I wouldn't expect him to give up all the good parodies early. Then who would buy the album? (other than me)

I have to admit that I don't really know who Charles Nelson Reily is, but I do like the song.
Old 08-05-09, 11:25 PM
Premium Member

Received 699 Likes on 466 Posts

I think that CNR is pretty good (funny and clever at the same time). Loves me some JibJab
Old 08-06-09, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by C-Mart
This is another "style of" song. I'm really hoping that the final "Internet Leaks" song is a true parody... but as this is an EP of songs from next years album, I wouldn't expect him to give up all the good parodies early. Then who would buy the album? (other than me)

I have to admit that I don't really know who Charles Nelson Reily is, but I do like the song.
Alec Baldwin does a great impersonation of him on SNL.

He was a D-list celeb that was popular on Game Shows back in the 70s. He was on the Match Game for awhile.
Old 08-06-09, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 555 Posts

I still think The Dead Milkmen paid better tribute to CNR.
Old 08-06-09, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by C-Mart
This is another "style of" song. I'm really hoping that the final "Internet Leaks" song is a true parody... but as this is an EP of songs from next years album, I wouldn't expect him to give up all the good parodies early.
Al's usual approach is to do the originals first and the parodies last...that way, the spoofs are fresher and more relevant when the album finally comes out. ("Whatever You Like" is one that veers away from that, I guess as an experiment...)
Old 08-06-09, 09:18 AM
Banned

I remember him mostly from either Cannonball Run 1 or 2. Can't remember which one he was in.
Old 08-06-09, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So this is just another style parody and not an actual WS song?
Old 08-06-09, 10:51 AM

By the way, if you are a member of Jib Jab (paid) then you can edit yourself into the CNR video! I want to do it, but it is $17 for a 1yr membership (which can be refunded if you cancel before the trial period ends). My question is, once I edit myself into the video can I download it to my computer to view as long as I want? Or will I only be able to view it as long as I am a member of the site? Anyone know the answer? I've got no experience with Jib Jab.

I guess in the end the result is the same. If I pay but can't download the video and cancel my account then I don't have the video, though I've had a month to bask in the glory of being in a Weird Al video. If I don't pay in the first place I don't have the video either. I think the choice is now obvious!

<object id='A64060' quality='high' data='http://aka.zero.jibjab.com/client/zero/ClientZero_EmbedViewer.swf?external_make_id=sXGMoyJzax7EINlb&service=sendables.jibjab.com&partnerID=JibJab' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='transparent' height='319' width='425'><param name='wmode' value='transparent'></param><param name='movie' value='http://aka.zero.jibjab.com/client/zero/ClientZero_EmbedViewer.swf?external_make_id=sXGMoyJzax7EINlb&service=sendables.jibjab.com&partnerID=JibJab'></param><param name='scaleMode' value='showAll'></param><param name='quality' value='high'></param><param name='allowNetworking' value='all'></param><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='FlashVars' value='external_make_id=sXGMoyJzax7EINlb&service=sendables.jibjab.com&partnerID=JibJab'></param><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always'></param></object>
Try JibJab Sendables® eCards today!

And there it is... It looks like I can create as many "heads" as I want and do this over and over again. The only problem is to download to my computer it will cost me $1.99 per video. I may get one as a keep-sake. You can bet I'm spending a lot of time on Jib Jab for the next 30 days!

Last edited by C-Mart; 08-06-09 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-06-09, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome song, awesome vid. Classic Al.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.