Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Weird Al Yankovic Appreciation Thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Weird Al Yankovic Appreciation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe its a homage to R. Kelly, "I pissed on a girl, and I liked it ..."

Yes, I borrowed that joke, for those that listen to Howard.
Old 09-30-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I avoid buying music I iTunes at all costs. However, I may have to support Al on this..
Old 09-30-08, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
New blog entry from MySpace:

NEW SINGLE!

Remember when I said I was going to start releasing tracks to iTunes as soon as I finished recording them? Well, I'm in the studio this very moment – and the first track released from my next album will be available on iTunes a week from today (October 7)!

This is extremely exciting for me. One of the hardest things I've had to deal with in my career is keeping my material topical even though I only release albums every 3 or 4 years. Now, with the advent and popularity of digital distribution, I don't have to wait around while my songs get old and dated – I can get them out on the Internet almost immediately. It kind of boggles my mind – I thought of the idea for this new song a week ago, and next week it's getting released!

I'm only supposed to "tease" this release right now – I'll post more info about it in a couple days. But I will say that it's a parody of a song that very recently was (or perhaps still is) the number one song in the country. That would be another first for me – I don't think I've ever released a parody of a song while the original song was still number one!

iTunes will have an exclusive on this song for two weeks, after which I guess it will be available wherever else digital downloads are sold. But I'm really kind of hoping this sucker will chart, so if you can, please buy it the first week it's out!

If this release goes well, there will be more to come. Thanks in advance for your support!

Al
Maybe it's "Hey There Deliliah". don't know if that's still the number 1 song on any of the charts lately, but I hear it a few times a day on the radio and at the mall or in stores. It's also easily parodied as youtube has many people spoofing it there.
Old 10-06-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

T minus 1 .....
Old 10-06-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On his blog today he announced the song as being "Whatever You Like", a parody that shares the same name with the original song by T.I. Having gone and listened to the song on YouTube, I am quite pleased. It seems just the right amount of seriousness for a really funny parody target.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nQJACVmankY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nQJACVmankY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 10-06-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WOW that WAS quick! Whatever You Like is really popular right now.. hahahaha. I gotta listen to it ASAP.
Old 10-06-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Can't wait to hear it. Very cool he's able to finally release in the prime of what he's parodying.
Old 10-07-08, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

when do new songs go up on iTunes? I don't see this song on there yet.
Old 10-07-08, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by achau9598
when do new songs go up on iTunes? I don't see this song on there yet.
I'm waiting for it too! I wanted to get it on my iPod before I had to leave for work. All the other new releases for this week are up!
Old 10-07-08, 11:14 AM

I'm glad to see Uncle Muscles get some more work.
Old 10-07-08, 09:55 PM

From http://www.weirdal.com:

NEW SINGLE UPDATE!
Apparently there was a glitch at iTunes last night and Al's new single - "Whatever You Like" - didn't debut with the rest of the new releases. We're being told that they're working on the problem and (hopefully!!) it will be up later today. We'll definitely let you know when that happens!
It isn't there yet, but hopefully by tomorrow it will be up.
Old 10-08-08, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its up ... and its good! Very timely, so I can appreciate the use of iTunes to get it out quicker.
Old 10-08-08, 12:35 PM

I thought it was very good as well. I hope he keeps doing individual song releases - that way we can consistently get new music rather than having to wait 3-4 years between CDs. Also its better financially for him because if he releases 12-13 songs that's $12-$13 per person rather than $9.99 for a single CD (speaking strictly of iTunes prices)
Old 10-23-08, 12:33 PM

Well, today is "Weird" Al's 49th birthday. Happy Birthday Al!

I was also thinking about his new strategy for releasing songs, and while it didn't go as he had planned (with the delay and all) I hope he sticks with it. I was wondering if you think he'll stick to his CD format strategy and release an original next? Or is he just going to do individual parodies as he see's fit? I do like the polkas so I hope we get one of those soon!
Old 10-23-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really think this delivery method is more appropriate for parodies. I mean, that's what the general public expects. Most people have no idea he does originals, I would guess. The whole point is to stay topical and if it means it has to be a parody to get people to notice, so be it.

I'd love to get away from CDs entirely for this and I love his originals and polka medleys more than the parodies on average so I hope he finds a way to satisfy both.
Old 10-27-08, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.coverville.com/archives/2...ville_518.html

Fans of the Yankster will appreciate this episode of "Coverville."
Old 10-28-08, 08:03 AM
Suspended

Weird Al was my first concert, on his Alapalooza tour
Old 06-16-09, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Re: The Weird Al Yankovic Appreciation Thread

Al's new single -- "Craigslist", done in the style of The Doors -- is out now. The song is on Amazon and iTunes, and there's a video (by Liam Lynch) available to download too.
Old 06-16-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Al's new single -- "Craigslist", done in the style of The Doors -- is out now. The song is on Amazon and iTunes, and there's a video (by Liam Lynch) available to download too.
Its nowhere near as good as ebay lyric-wise, but at least the style parody is of a good band. Ray Manzarek does the keyboards on the song even.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R32aFmxL9HY&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R32aFmxL9HY&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by Snowmaker; 06-16-09 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-16-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i'm at work, so I can't listen --- but is it an actual parody of a Doors song, or is it just in the "style" of the Doors?
Old 06-16-09, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
i'm at work, so I can't listen --- but is it an actual parody of a Doors song, or is it just in the "style" of the Doors?
Style-parody. Just like:

Germs = NIN
Dog Eat Dog = Talking Heads
Dare To Be Stupid = Devo

and so on ...

It does sound most similar to Soul Kitchen though.
Old 06-16-09, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

It starts off with a rip of "When The Music's Over," then when the lyrics kick in, yeah, it does sound like "Soul Kitchen."

Really it sounds like a hybrid of those two songs.
Old 06-16-09, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by TheKing
It starts off with a rip of "When The Music's Over," then when the lyrics kick in, yeah, it does sound like "Soul Kitchen."

Really it sounds like a hybrid of those two songs.
That is usually the case in Al's "style-of" songs. It usually sounds like a couple of the songs by that artist.

I haven't had a chance to listen to this yet... I'll give it a listen on my way home (thank God for You Tube on my Blackberry!)
Old 06-16-09, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts

I wish he would make another movie. I'll always love UHF
Old 06-18-09, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Not bad at all. He really gets the "feel" of Jim Morrison, and Ray Manzarek on keyboards certainly helps!

Pretty spot on for the subject too, we've had some pretty good scores (see my post in Book Talk), but we also get some real weird ones (like the last lyric).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.