Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Weird Al Yankovic Appreciation Thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Weird Al Yankovic Appreciation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-08, 06:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I loved Weird Al through Running With Scissors. After that I stopped listening. Maybe I should check him out again.
Old 01-28-08, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I've always been a big fan of Weird Al.
Old 01-28-08, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grundle
For me it's mostly the stuff on his first 3 albums. My favorite album of his is "Dare To Be Stupid."
Yeah, I agree with this. I played the hell outta Dare. I also like In 3D, Even Worse and UHF.
Old 01-28-08, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
I won't bore ya by repeating the post I made when I went to his concert last year but I still have the Weird Al money from the show:

Old 01-29-08, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm mad at myself for not going to see Weird Al this past fall. I didn't really have anyone to go with (the GF didn't want to see him again).

I would have been alright with it if I didn't find out that he played "Albuquerque" live.
Old 01-29-08, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
"He who's tired of "Weird Al" is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
Old 01-29-08, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have every single Weird All track that is readily available on CD on my iPod. Most people at work really despise it so I try to play it when I am working alone. As much as every person claims to dislike him they each seem to really like one song of his. The one guy loves Theme From Rocky XIII, another likes Amish Paradise and a guy who recently quit really enjoyed Trapped In The Drive-Thru. The other day some guy said he her Weird Al had a new CD coming out and while I figured it was BS considering his most recent release wasn't that long ago I couldn't wait to get home to see if the news was true. I was bummed that he was misinformed.
Old 01-29-08, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Love the guy. Saw him last year and it was a great show. He's a phenomenal showman.
Old 01-29-08, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
Theme From Rocky XIII
Fat and weak
What a disgrace
Guess the champ
Got too layyyy-zayyyyy

Old 01-29-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I really should start downloading some Weird Al. When I was in 5th/6th grade I was a huge fan. I had all of his albums on cassette. In fact, I might still have 'em if I look around. The song that got me hooked was "Smells Like Nirvana" on his Off the Deep End album. It's been so long since I've listened to him I forgot how much I enjoyed his music. I'm glad this thread was here to renew my interest.
Old 01-30-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I won't bore ya by repeating the post I made when I went to his concert last year but I still have the Weird Al money from the show:

That is awesome! Have an extra one?
Old 01-30-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by achau9598
That is awesome! Have an extra one?
I just have the 2 left. I did have an extra but I sent it to Kittydreamer to cheer her up. They were released from above us in the front and I grabbed as they floated by me. I could've started picking them off the floor but it was pretty crowded and I didn't want to weird anyone out
Old 01-30-08, 09:26 PM
Banned

You know, I like Al very much (have his DVD of videos and the Hits CD, and a few others), and have since the 80's. My problem with his current stuff is that I hate most of the recent rock & pop (and goddamned rap) music that's come out over the last 10 years or so, so I am no longer "in on the joke" when he does a parody. There have been a few exceptions of course, but not enough for me to care much about the new Al stuff at all. But the older Al music?!? It's awseome, incredible classic stuff!
Old 01-30-08, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
According to the LJ Weird Al news feed, he's guesting on an upcoming Rifftrax for, if I'm not mistaken, Jurassic Park.
Old 01-31-08, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
My problem with his current stuff is that I hate most of the recent rock & pop (and goddamned rap) music that's come out over the last 10 years or so, so I am no longer "in on the joke" when he does a parody.
I'm lost on most of the parody because I've never heard some of the original songs he parodies...but in that case I fall back on his lyrics.

I think the song "eBay" was the one that made me say "forget the parody, these lyrics are 100% spot on!" and that was 100x funnier than it being a Backstreet Boys parody.
Old 01-31-08, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I'm lost on most of the parody because I've never heard some of the original songs he parodies...but in that case I fall back on his lyrics.

I think the song "eBay" was the one that made me say "forget the parody, these lyrics are 100% spot on!" and that was 100x funnier than it being a Backstreet Boys parody.
That's part of what I love about him as well. It isn't just the fact that it is a parody song, but the lyrics and the subject matter of that song also carry it. The Saga Begins for example uses a pretty old song in comparison to the other parodies on that album, but for the story that he's telling it was a perfect song.
Old 01-31-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by C-Mart
The Saga Begins for example uses a pretty old song in comparison to the other parodies on that album, but for the story that he's telling it was a perfect song.
That's the same thing I love about "Jurassic Park". MacArthur Park isn't exactly a well known song thse days, but turning such an unbelievably campy, sickly sweet and overwrought 70's love song into a song about velociraptors (complete with roars and screams of pain) was pure genius.
Old 06-18-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003817741

Woot.
Old 06-18-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

w00t indeed. Would love "now" Al tracks. He had great timing with Amish Paradise and White & Nerdy - I think that's why those two singles were so successful.

Hope he's active for years to come. Makes me want to watch UHF tonight.
Old 06-18-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
He launches a nine-week summer tour June 27 in Henderson, Nev.

Whoa, that's next Friday. I might have to attend that. Wonder if Gator Deb will as well.
Old 09-04-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here are a couple interesting excepts from his MySpace blog he posted today:

Well, I'm finally back home – the Straight Outta Lynwood Tour is officially over. We traveled over 100,000 miles and did 166 shows in the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Wow, what a great time. Huge thanks go out to the band, the crew, the drivers, the promoters, the cheerleaders, the members of the 501st Legion - and most importantly all the wonderful fans who came out to see us. I don't know when we'll be touring again, but I'm afraid it won't be any time soon. And I promise the next time we play live, it will be with a substantially different show.

So what will I be doing now that I'm not living in a bus? Well, first and foremost I'll be enjoying some quality time with my family – but I've also got some interesting projects on my plate. Some deals are still being hammered out, so I can't really discuss them… but I can briefly talk about "Al's Brain." That's the name of the short (9 or 10 minutes) 3-D movie which I'll be shooting in November. I wrote it and I'll be directing and starring in it as well. It's an educational (but hopefully also funny and entertaining) film about the workings of the human brain. It will make its debut in July 2009 at the Orange County Fair in Costa Mesa, California, and ideally it will travel to various science centers and similar venues at some point after that. This is a very exciting project for me – I'm working with the top 3-D and CGI people in the business.

Of course, as promised, I'll also start writing my next album very soon. I think this time I'm going to try something different – instead of waiting for the whole album to be done before I release it, I'm going to start putting out a track at a time on iTunes – pretty much as soon as I'm done recording each one. That way you won't have to wait so long to hear new material, and my songs hopefully won't ever feel too "dated." Anyway, let's see if that works – I'll obviously let you know when I start making any new songs available.
Old 09-04-08, 08:18 PM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Interesting approach. Always awesome to know some artists are as into the music as they are the money.

Incidentally, my wife is not a "Weird Al" fan, but man oh man, does she laugh at the video for "Trapped in the Drive-Thru."

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qmGVYki-oyQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qmGVYki-oyQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-08-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sadly I can't find my Dual Disc of Straight out of Lynwood. I need to tear apart my office until I find it. At least it was ripped to mp3 before I lost it.

I can't wait for some new tracks.
Old 09-08-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was going to see him at the California State Fair a couple of weeks back but it was 110+ degrees outside so I didn't go. Kind of wish I had now since there's no set timeframe of when he'll be touring again.
Old 09-30-08, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

New blog entry from MySpace:

NEW SINGLE!

Remember when I said I was going to start releasing tracks to iTunes as soon as I finished recording them? Well, I'm in the studio this very moment – and the first track released from my next album will be available on iTunes a week from today (October 7)!

This is extremely exciting for me. One of the hardest things I've had to deal with in my career is keeping my material topical even though I only release albums every 3 or 4 years. Now, with the advent and popularity of digital distribution, I don't have to wait around while my songs get old and dated – I can get them out on the Internet almost immediately. It kind of boggles my mind – I thought of the idea for this new song a week ago, and next week it's getting released!

I'm only supposed to "tease" this release right now – I'll post more info about it in a couple days. But I will say that it's a parody of a song that very recently was (or perhaps still is) the number one song in the country. That would be another first for me – I don't think I've ever released a parody of a song while the original song was still number one!

iTunes will have an exclusive on this song for two weeks, after which I guess it will be available wherever else digital downloads are sold. But I'm really kind of hoping this sucker will chart, so if you can, please buy it the first week it's out!

If this release goes well, there will be more to come. Thanks in advance for your support!

Al

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.