Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Best "Hair Metal" Singer

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Best Hair Metal Singer?
Sebastian Bach (Skid Row)
41.27%
Vince Neil (Crue)
9.52%
Brett Michaels (Poison)
7.94%
Jani Lane (Warrant)
1.59%
Axl Rose (GNR)
11.11%
Jon Bon Jovi (Bon Jovi)
9.52%
Tom Kiefer (Cinderella)
1.59%
Lita Ford (Solo Artist)
0%
Mark Slaughter (Slaughter)
1.59%
Other (please state in post)
15.87%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Best "Hair Metal" Singer

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
Wait...when did it become glam metal? I thought it was hair metal?
same thing.

The genre is also referred to, often by detractors, as hair metal. This term was popularized by MTV in the 1990s and derives from the tendency amongst some bands to style their long hair in a teased-up fashion. In modern culture, fans of the style have embraced the term glam metal. During its heyday, the genre was often referred to as heavy metal or simply metal. Also, this music has been called by the more derogatory terms cock rock and butt rock.
Old 10-19-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't really consider any of the bands "metal." Most are hard rock, if that. Axl has one of the best voices of all time, so that's my vote. Same goes for how good each band is/was. GnR was great, Crue was ok and the rest were prety bad.....in my opinion.
Old 10-19-06, 04:45 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does Joe Elliott from Def Leppard count (even though, comparatively speaking, his hair was never that big)? If so, he gets my vote. If not, I abstain, 'cuz the whole kit and kaboodle of the rest of 'em churn my stomach.
Old 10-19-06, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
If you don't know what band Blackie Lawlwss is from, then you should not be allowed to start such a thread.

For me, I say Don Dokken.
I'd put Don second behind Bach. For me, you just can't touch the vocals on "Wasted Time" or basically just the whole Slave to the Grind album. Skid Row might have been on the hair metal side with their first album, but their second was 100% pure metal. Truly worthy of being the first number 1 charting metal album. Too bad Bach is such a nutjob that the rest of the band couldn't stand to be around him.
Old 10-19-06, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bach and Tate.

I loved Bach's cover of Hollaback Girl
http://grouper.com/video/MediaDetails.aspx?id=931672
Old 10-19-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Does Joe Elliott from Def Leppard count (even though, comparatively speaking, his hair was never that big)? If so, he gets my vote. If not, I abstain, 'cuz the whole kit and kaboodle of the rest of 'em churn my stomach.
Ever hear that guy LIVE? Man, talk about a studio singer.
Old 10-19-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

YEAH! Hair Metal, my favorite!

I voted for Jani Lane (former Warrant vocalist). He doesn't have the range of Bach, but I think he has (had, I should say) a solid voice with good range from ballads to metal rockers.

also, C.J. Snare from Firehouse is amazing, I always thought he was one of the most underrated metal singers ever, I've seen Firehouse live a bunch of times and it always sounds like they just put the CD on because he sings it so perfect.

others to think about... Miljenko Matijevic (Steelheart), Danny Vaughn (Tyketto), Paul Stanley (KISS), Kip Winger, Jeff Scott Soto (Malmsteen, Eyes, Talisman and tons of other bands), Jamie St James (Black n Blue, and now Warrant), Don Dokken, Andrew Elt (Sleeze Beez), Phil Lewis (L.A. Guns), Marq Torien (Bulletboys), Jesse Harte (Southgang), Jack Russell (Great White), Matt Kramer (Saigon Kick)
Old 10-19-06, 06:02 PM
Premium Member

Received 698 Likes on 466 Posts
Dee Snider
Old 10-19-06, 08:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
No love for David Coverdale and Whitesnake?
Old 10-19-06, 10:05 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Ever hear that guy LIVE? Man, talk about a studio singer.
You make a very good point, one I don't disagree with, but that still puts him ahead of this poll's competition, in my view, none of which are good live or in the studio...
Old 10-19-06, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
I think just a bad choice for an album picture. The whole album art had kind of a gothic feel and I think the pic was trying to reflect that.
Agreed on that point.

On "Rage for Order" it seemed like they were melding the current metal sound with a goth rock sound (such as The Cure or Sisters of Mercy). Listen to "Gonna Get Close to You" and it seems fairly obvious. And I think the look was also a combination of the two genres as well.

"Rage" is my second favorite album of theirs, right after Mindcrime.
Old 10-20-06, 08:51 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by freshticles
easy - vince neil...half these guys ripped him off completely..
On strictly pipes alone, Bach destroys Neil. I would add Marq Torien of the Bulletboys to the list for consideration . . . he would also destroy Vince Neil.
Old 10-20-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
You make a very good point, one I don't disagree with, but that still puts him ahead of this poll's competition, in my view, none of which are good live or in the studio...
I would disagree at least about Bach. I've seen him live and was even more impressed. That Def Lep concert was only redeemed by the guitarists, who were awesome, and seeing Rick Allen master the drums. Elliot was horrific.

But I really don't think that Def was hair metal.
Old 10-20-06, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

But I really don't think that Def was hair metal.
I think the Hysteria album is the poster boy for hair metal.
Old 10-20-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never considered Queensryche a 'hair/glam band' at all. In fact, their Rage For Order time I saw them open for Maiden at Radio City/Powerslave tour.

I always thought Bach was better than most so that's my vote. Most of the others on that list make me cringe.

Supermallet, I really like Coverdale a lot and he went into that hair band mold. But I really liked DP and WS from before that MTV period. That's how I like to remember him
Old 10-20-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I think the Hysteria album is the poster boy for hair metal.
Maybe, but they have close to 10 albums right? One album does not make a band hair metal, IMHO.
Old 10-20-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe, but they have close to 10 albums right? One album does not make a band hair metal, IMHO.
They'll have been around for 30 years in 2007, and really only about 7 of those years I'd consider hair metal, from 84-91 or so (the hysteria stretch when that was the only album released in those years).
Old 10-20-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

10 studio albums + 2 greatest hits
Old 10-20-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
FYI... the 2-disc Hysteria "Special Edition" comes out Tuesday!!!
Old 10-20-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Ted Poley from Danger Danger, and they still rock to this day.

Collateral Damage by Ted Poley is the best "Hair Metal" Cd to come in years, simply put it kicks ass. Every fan of Hair Metal should check it out.

OK that said, I would also put in the lead singer for Firehouse, I just don't know his name.
Old 10-20-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tate
Old 10-20-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my favorite was Davy Vain from VAIN.
Old 10-22-06, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gonna through one out for fodder....Michael Sweet from Stryper
Old 10-22-06, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by turborobb

I voted for Jani Lane (former Warrant vocalist). He doesn't have the range of Bach, but I think he has (had, I should say) a solid voice with good range from ballads to metal rockers.

also, C.J. Snare from Firehouse is amazing, I always thought he was one of the most underrated metal singers ever, I've seen Firehouse live a bunch of times and it always sounds like they just put the CD on because he sings it so perfect.

others to think about... Miljenko Matijevic (Steelheart), Danny Vaughn (Tyketto), Paul Stanley (KISS), Kip Winger, Jeff Scott Soto (Malmsteen, Eyes, Talisman and tons of other bands), Jamie St James (Black n Blue, and now Warrant), Don Dokken, Andrew Elt (Sleeze Beez), Phil Lewis (L.A. Guns), Marq Torien (Bulletboys), Jesse Harte (Southgang), Jack Russell (Great White), Matt Kramer (Saigon Kick)
You know your hair metal, man! I have to go with Danny Vaughn. His stuff in Waysted and Tyketto is just amazing. I can't believe the range this guy had.
Old 10-22-06, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by turborobb

Definately my favorite, i'm with ya turborobb..

My vote goes for C.J. Snare of Firehouse, they are such a great band, also have to mention Mijenko Matijevic of Steelheart, what an amazing singing voice, also Johnny Gioeli of Hardline is amazing, and Stephen Pearcy of Ratt one of my favorite bands of all time.

Last edited by johnbook; 10-22-06 at 11:41 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.