Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Snow Patrol

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-04, 10:20 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Snow Patrol

if you like The Cure, Interpol, Modern English, Tahiti 80, etc. i think you will dig 'em. I am listening to the player on their site right now with 3 songs. they give you 2 LIVE songs for registering. pretty good stuff. that's all.

Last edited by BRIAN 1972; 04-25-04 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-25-04, 04:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
actually, most of the criticism has been made that their single "Run" sounds alot like Coldplay.
Old 04-25-04, 04:43 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
overrated. bought the new album and listened to it for a bit. its ok, but didn't do much for me at all. and i love all the bands theya re being compared to
Old 04-25-04, 07:38 PM

The new album is very overrated--but at least the majors are finally giving these guys the chance they deserve.

If you dig this album, I'd definitely recommend their first two albums (Songs for Polarbears being the rockingest of the bunch), and albums by the Reindeer Section--the Scottish supergroup fronted by Snow Patrol's Gary Lightbody.

And catch them on tour! They give a hell of a performance!
Old 04-25-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't listened to Snow Patrol (haven't even heard their single), but I think that the frontman of this band collaborated with members of Mogwai and Belle and Sebastian to form the ultimately Scottish and ultimately middling Reindeer Section. They (RS) do have one really awesome song called "If Everything Fell Quiet," though.
Old 04-25-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I picked up a free copy at work the other day, but haven't heard it. I'll try to put in higher in the pile for future listening.
Old 04-26-04, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by fallow
I haven't listened to Snow Patrol (haven't even heard their single), but I think that the frontman of this band collaborated with members of Mogwai and Belle and Sebastian to form the ultimately Scottish and ultimately middling Reindeer Section. They (RS) do have one really awesome song called "If Everything Fell Quiet," though.
while technically not employing the help from Snow Patrol, there is also this album which adds a number of bands collaboration:

(from allmusic.com):

Future Pilot A.K.A 'Tiny Waves, Mighty Sea'

The Scottish musical visionary Sushil K. Dade leads his group Future Pilot A.K.A. through diverse territories, ranging from Warp-style electronica to folk-inflected pop, and the composer has employed in his ranks Belle & Sebastian, the Delgados, Teenage Fanclub, and the Pastels as collaborators. On this album for Geographic, he recruits this cast of friends on a celebration of his Indian heritage, and an outstandingly psychedelic treatment is given to a list of favored traditional chants, spirituals, and ragas. Recalling in part the Eastern infatuations of George Harrison and especially the Byrds, Tiny Waves, Mighty Sea goes off on some spectacular tangents; "Darshan" and "Opel Waters" are standouts with exceptional improvisational passages. "Ananda Is the Ocean" features vocals by Stuart Murdoch with a chorus featuring Katrina Mitchell and Isobel Campbell, who create stunning polyphonics. Throughout, Future Pilot A.K.A. provides a musical backing of high invention and intrigue that deploys equal measures of electronics and band instrumentation
Old 04-26-04, 09:07 AM

I have only heard Final Straw, and it seems it will take a while to grow on me. The album itself is very boring on first listen. I don't see the comparison at all with interpol and Tahiti 80, two bands that I really like. They remind me a lot more of Athlete than those two.
Old 04-26-04, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by greeny
I have only heard Final Straw, and it seems it will take a while to grow on me. The album itself is very boring on first listen. I don't see the comparison at all with interpol and Tahiti 80, two bands that I really like. They remind me a lot more of Athlete than those two.
I agree, I think Tahiti 80's albums: 'Puzzle' and 'Wallpaper for the Soul' are vastly superior to the Snow Patrol album. Tahiti's songs are alot perkier and memorable IMO.
Old 04-26-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tiny Waves, Mighty Sea actually sounds pretty cool. I think Reindeer Section was screwed from the start -- doom + jangle + Coldplay (which really means Blur's "Sing") does not look like a favorable equation. I could see those other bands working together, though.

re: Tahiti 80. I've only heard Wallpaper for the Soul but I think that disc is pretty good. They can't hold a candle to Phoenix, though.
Old 04-26-04, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by fallow
Tiny Waves, Mighty Sea actually sounds pretty cool. I think Reindeer Section was screwed from the start -- doom + jangle + Coldplay (which really means Blur's "Sing") does not look like a favorable equation. I could see those other bands working together, though.

re: Tahiti 80. I've only heard Wallpaper for the Soul but I think that disc is pretty good. They can't hold a candle to Phoenix, though.
The Phoenix album for some reason took a long time for me to warm up to, it ultimately became fun chirpy album.
Old 04-26-04, 10:37 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by greeny
interpol for the atmospheric guitars in some songs.
tahiti 80 for the vocals in wuite a few songs.
Old 11-06-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I'm watching their "Live at Sommerset House" on Showtime right now and, while I like the band (well, I've only heard Final Straw), this concert is damn near unwatchable. Literally no camera shot lingers for more than a few seconds and it goes in and out of focus way too much. "Chocolate" is particularly epileptic seizure-inducing. Shame, too, since I was considering buying this DVD.
Old 05-17-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone get the new record "Eyes Open"? I'm loving the hell out of it. I really liked Final Straw, but this one is incedible. There isn't a bad song on this album IMO. I find myself getting many of these tracks stuck in my head for hours. The highlights: "Hands Open" "Chasing Cars" "Set the Fire to the Third Bar" "Open Your Eyes". A solid effort and one of the better albums I've heard this year.

MATT
Old 05-17-06, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
Anyone get the new record "Eyes Open"? I'm loving the hell out of it. I really liked Final Straw, but this one is incedible. There isn't a bad song on this album IMO. I find myself getting many of these tracks stuck in my head for hours. The highlights: "Hands Open" "Chasing Cars" "Set the Fire to the Third Bar" "Open Your Eyes". A solid effort and one of the better albums I've heard this year.

MATT
I love this. However, Make This Go On Forever is to me, one of the best songs I've heard in a real long time.
Old 05-18-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard it and I think it's a middle of the road album, one that's easily forgettable. I guess I'm disagreeing.

= J
Old 05-18-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I thought Final Straw was excellent. But the new one is kinda meh.
Old 05-18-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked Final Straw and will buying Eyes open soon (as soon as I give RCHP enough fair listens).
Old 05-18-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Final Straw = not bad. Eyes Open = huh? That new single is weak as hell.
Old 05-19-06, 03:39 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by mdc3000

MATT
Set The Fire To The Third Bar is exquisite but not much else stood out on the first listen but I'll give it a few more spins. I liked the Final Straw SACD (and loved Keane's Hopes & Fears SACD) - not sure if this one will get the SACD treatment but here's hoping

Cheers

Martin
Old 06-29-06, 01:12 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
I love Set The Fire To The Third Bar.
This cd is an absolute Grower, been listening to this and the new Keane, and I think the Snow Patrol cd kicks much more ass.

I look forward to seeing them again in September.
Old 06-29-06, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I love Set The Fire To The Third Bar.
This cd is an absolute Grower, been listening to this and the new Keane, and I think the Snow Patrol cd kicks much more ass.

I look forward to seeing them again in September.
Funny, those are the two CDs I've been alternating day to day. I love both.

SP's Make This Last Forever...I could listen to it over and over. Brilliant.