Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rumors of AC/DC's next album

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Rumors of AC/DC's next album

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-08, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone pay the $40 to join the AC/DC fan club? Been thinking of it to get tickets for the Denver or LA show, but don't know if the seats would be worth an extra $40. Also don't know what the "special exclusive gift" is. Anyone? Thanks.
Old 09-17-08, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slightly of OT. Sirius Satellite Radio has launched "AC/DC Radio" (channel 29) and my understanding is that they will be playing tracks off of their new album for the next few weeks.
Old 09-17-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Anyone pay the $40 to join the AC/DC fan club? Been thinking of it to get tickets for the Denver or LA show, but don't know if the seats would be worth an extra $40. Also don't know what the "special exclusive gift" is. Anyone? Thanks.
I wouldn't mind knowing, either. From what I've heard, though, these fan club deals usually aren't worth it.
Old 09-17-08, 01:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by covenant
Maybe you should skip on AC/DC this year?
Hah. Yes, perhaps I should. I'll still hear the new album, but I won't be buying it if Wal-Mart gets a cut.
Old 09-17-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Hah. Yes, perhaps I should. I'll still hear the new album, but I won't be buying it if Wal-Mart gets a cut.

Well then I'll buy two copies then to make up for it!
Old 09-20-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was looking at seeing AC/DC at the Tacoma Dome on November 30th (which doesn't have the best acoustics to begin with), but using Ticketmaster they want $89.50 per ticket, plus $12.65 for the convenience charge, plus $1 for the building facility charge. $103 per ticket? ...and I would have to drive 5+ hours to see them. Pass.

Perhaps I'm out of touch with what it cost to see a concert nowadays. I guess most of the attendees will be young adults without a mortgage, car payment, day care, etc...

I sure miss the days when I could see AC/DC for $30-35.
Old 09-20-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by tofferman
Was looking at seeing AC/DC at the Tacoma Dome on November 30th (which doesn't have the best acoustics to begin with), but using Ticketmaster they want $89.50 per ticket, plus $12.65 for the convenience charge, plus $1 for the building facility charge. $103 per ticket? ...and I would have to drive 5+ hours to see them. Pass.

Perhaps I'm out of touch with what it cost to see a concert nowadays. I guess most of the attendees will be young adults without a mortgage, car payment, day care, etc...

I sure miss the days when I could see AC/DC for $30-35.
A buddy of mine works at a Ticketmaster outlet locally. He said the Boston show sold in a little over two hours, and that most of the people buying tickets were in their 30's and up. He also said that there were already only scattered single floor seats available when they went on sale at 10 am.

One of the people there was talking to someone on the phone who had joined the fan club, and was thus, able to get floor seats (early pre-sale, perhaps?) - so for anyone interested, it may be worth it.

At roughly $105 at ticket, I'll pass too, thanks. I've already seen the band (and met and hung out with them) numerous times over the years. Since those shows were either free (for me) or only cost me no more than $30, I have a hard time with the current $$ they are requesting. I've always got the memories and more than one live DVD I can watch at home. Hearing the new tunes live would be about the only thing different about the show.
Old 09-20-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
He also said that there were already only scattered single floor seats available when they went on sale at 10 am.
How can that be? Are all the floor seats reserved for the fan club?

At roughly $105 at ticket, I'll pass too, thanks. I've already seen the band (and met and hung out with them) numerous times over the years.
You GOT to tell us some stories!!!! Please?!?!??!
Old 09-20-08, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A buddy of mine works at a Ticketmaster outlet locally. He said the Boston show sold in a little over two hours, and that most of the people buying tickets were in their 30's and up. He also said that there were already only scattered single floor seats available when they went on sale at 10 am.

One of the people there was talking to someone on the phone who had joined the fan club, and was thus, able to get floor seats (early pre-sale, perhaps?) - so for anyone interested, it may be worth it.
That explains the fact that when I got through to purchase tickets at 10:03, there were no floor seats available. I would probably cough up the money for a good floor seat, but not for upper level nose bleed seats.
Old 09-20-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I was hoping to see them this year, but $100+ for a ticket makes my wallet scream in agony. Hopefully, they'll record it for a bluray release.
Old 09-21-08, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
How can that be? Are all the floor seats reserved for the fan club?
Don't know. But I did also hear from someone else who went the fan club route and did not get floor seats. She also said that with the fan club purchase, if you are unable to get tickets for the show, they will refund your $40 - so at least that's nice of them.

You GOT to tell us some stories!!!! Please?!?!??!
I wish there were some wild, exciting tales to tell - but the truth is, they're all pretty laid back, and mostly quite guys. Except for Brian, he's a bit more "up", and a hell of a guy to share some drinks with. Angus, Malcom, Cliff and Phil are much more reserved, and really only get chatty if they've got something to talk about with the band are gone.. Angus, especially, is the complete opposite of what he's like on stage.

I first met them back in '88 on the Blow Up Your Video tour, when they did two sold out nights in my town. I did concert reviews for both shows, interviewed L.A. Guns (who was the opening act then) the first night, and AC/DC the second. Next time was on the Razor's Edge tour, and I got to spend more of the day with them then. Did some shopping with Angus and Malcolm, got to see a lot of the production of what goes into making the show backstage, and then had cool evening knocking some with Brian back at the hotel bar after the show. For whatever reason, I missed the Ballbreaker tour, and the last time I saw them was in 2001 on the Stiff Upper Lip. Cool thing about the last time, though - if you ever saw the VH1 show about Superfans, they had one episode with a guy from Maine who was a huge AC/DC fan and he got to meet the band at that show. It wasn't me, but I was there, along with a few other folks from the local radio station, went it all went down. (You can see the back of my head for a split second).

That's about it. The rest, out of courteousy and the goodwill the band had shown me, I have to keep to myself. Hate to ruin any magic, but they really are just a bunch of right proper gents. The only other thing I can tell you is that most of the band are also very short, too. I'm about 6'1", and I felt like a giant around them.

What sucks (for me) is that because of the shape of the music industry these days, all of my record company contacts are gone due to economic cutbacks. Before, it would have only been a matter of a simple phone call, and free tix and passes could have easily been mine. It's just that now there's no one to get them from anymore, because the offices in those cities were closed a few years ago. Even my friends at radio are feeling the pain, and they're lucky when they can get even half the amount of free tickets they used to.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 09-21-08 at 12:44 AM.
Old 09-21-08, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I've never seen them so I'm paying the hundred bucks for a seat at the Tacoma dome, I figure this might be my last chance to see them....and I'm well past 30--I don't really like spending $100 but it's not like it's going to put me on the street or anything.
Old 09-21-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What sucks (for me) is that because of the shape of the music industry these days, all of my record company contacts are gone due to economic cutbacks. Before, it would have only been a matter of a simple phone call, and free tix and passes could have easily been mine. It's just that now there's no one to get them from anymore, because the offices in those cities were closed a few years ago. Even my friends at radio are feeling the pain, and they're lucky when they can get even half the amount of free tickets they used to.
Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, I'm in the same boat too. Used to have a TON of contacts and benefits like that (used to write for a magazine), but due to the shape of the music industry and all that, I basically got nothing anymore...
Old 09-21-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Considering that tickets for Van Halen were $170 and tickets for the Stones were anywhere from $150-$400, I think $90 (plus charges) is a pretty good deal!

Yeah, last time AC/DC came around, tickets were $40 for the cheap seats, but that was 8 years ago.
Old 09-21-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Jeez, when I first started going to concerts in 1984-85 tickets were only $12-$15.

I'd say that ticket prices have outpaced inflation by just a weeeeee bit...
Old 09-21-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When I first started going to concerts in the late 70's, I used to pay between $7 to $9 a show. The most expensive tickets I ever bough back then were for Van Halen on the Fair Warning tour in '81, and those were $11.50. It just kept going up from there.
Old 09-22-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I would go if all the seats weren't $100. That kind of sucks. Granted MSG doesn't really have bad seats, but the IZOD Center in Jersey sure does. Bummer.

But, I do know the promoter at the IZOD, and he owes me a favor...so maybe.

How is the new song? I heard the single (awesome), but can't get the other one to stream.
Old 09-22-08, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by macnorton
I would go if all the seats weren't $100. That kind of sucks. Granted MSG doesn't really have bad seats, but the IZOD Center in Jersey sure does. Bummer.

But, I do know the promoter at the IZOD, and he owes me a favor...so maybe.

How is the new song? I heard the single (awesome), but can't get the other one to stream.
Haven't heard the other one yet, either. I will say that while I'm unwilling to pay $105 a ticket for the show, I have no qualms whatsoever about paying $10 to $14 to buy their new album without hearing a single thing off it. That much I'd at least always give them.
Old 09-22-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
$100+ for the "cheap seats" is getting out of hand. I paid $100 or so for the Van Halen reunion, but they turned out to be surprisingly good seats. Of course, I paid the extra cash for them because crappy seats were the same price, and the ultra-crappy balcony seats were still $80.

Also, the Van Halen thing was a one time event, and I really expected that they would implode before they got to me anyhow, so I would eventually just get a refund. AC/DC is not a major event, it's simply the tour for the new album. It's just as well they're not coming here at all.
Old 09-22-08, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
$100+ for the "cheap seats" is getting out of hand. I paid $100 or so for the Van Halen reunion, but they turned out to be surprisingly good seats. Of course, I paid the extra cash for them because crappy seats were the same price, and the ultra-crappy balcony seats were still $80.

Also, the Van Halen thing was a one time event, and I really expected that they would implode before they got to me anyhow, so I would eventually just get a refund. AC/DC is not a major event, it's simply the tour for the new album. It's just as well they're not coming here at all.
Well, to be fair, its the same amount for ALL seats. They aren't scaling prices by section. You can take that as either a "good" or "bad" thing, depending on how you want to see it.
Old 09-22-08, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Forget paying the same amount for all seats. It should be scaled based on where you're sitting. Plus, the fact that the tickets are priced high across the board has me thinking twice.
Old 09-23-08, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
I remember when I was in high school, tickets were like $20-$25. General admission. Fighting your way through the floor to get up front. No reserved seats.

There's just something fundamentally wrong about paying $100 for a reserved seat to go see a group like AC/DC.
Old 09-23-08, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Forget paying the same amount for all seats. It should be scaled based on where you're sitting. Plus, the fact that the tickets are priced high across the board has me thinking twice.
+1, I never understood why they did that (well greed...) and it should be done the way you are suggesting.
Old 09-23-08, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I really like Rock and Roll Train but I dont know something about it bugs me. Maybe the song lyrics are just kind of silly?
Old 09-23-08, 07:51 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
Originally Posted by Deadman31
I really like Rock and Roll Train but I dont know something about it bugs me. Maybe the song lyrics are just kind of silly?
I really like it too, except for the back chorus of "running right off the track".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.