Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Smashing Pumpkins to reform

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lionel Hutz posted this here but I think it warrants it's own thread:

From Reuters:

Singer Billy Corgan said on Tuesday he plans to revive The Smashing Pumpkins, his Grammy-winning band which broke up in 2000 after more than a decade of blending alternative rock with the avant-garde.

In full-page advertisements in Chicago newspapers, the bald-headed Corgan said, "I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams."

He did not say which if any of the band's former members would be involved in the revived group, which broke through with albums such as "Gish" and "Siamese Dream."

The Pumpkins' top selling album was "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" which came out in 1995, but as the 1990s progressed their work became increasingly obscure as tensions arose in the group.

They broke up over differences among its four members and Corgan has since jumped from project to project but failed to match his early success.

Corgan, based in Chicago, has just released a solo album, "TheFutureEmbrace" on Reprise Records.

He did not say when he would try to reform the Pumpkins but the new album "represents a new beginning, not an ending. It picks up the thread of the as-yet-unfinished work and charter of The Smashing Pumpkins," he said.

Link to story

The Press Release

Last edited by automator; 06-21-05 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-21-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't it a little soon for a reunion tour? So glad I saw them when I did (Siamese Dream tour).
Old 06-21-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Siamese Dream is still one of my favorite albums.
Old 06-21-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i listen to gish at least once a week. i'm happy they're reforming. but it's too soon.
Old 06-21-05, 12:01 PM

wtf..I don't get it..believe me this is awesome news to me..but it seems totally against corgan's way of thinking with this solo album and his latest rants about being a rock superstar.....doesn't this news come as a complete surprise?
Old 06-21-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I still wish they would release a recording of the farewell show a few years ago.
Old 06-21-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thank God. He sounds lost on the new album, I know some people think it's good, but I can hardly stand listening to it. Billy will always be a Pumpkin.

Old 06-21-05, 12:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Now ALL of them can appear in annoying banner ads.
Old 06-21-05, 12:23 PM

Wowzers, very suprising.

Great news though.
Old 06-21-05, 12:25 PM

I kind of hope the rest of the band tells him to "F off" with that attitude...

"I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams"

Sounds like a big baby...

"mine,mine,mine"

Don't get me wrong, I love Smashing Pumpkins but Billy's ego is just way too big to be in a band. Going into it like that, I would expect the band to end in complete disaster.
Old 06-21-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cyberock
Dear Billy,

I know I would make millions of dollars joining your band, but I can't deal with being an unknown entity. Sorry.

Signed,
a poor unknown entity
Old 06-21-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyberock

"I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams"

Sounds like a big baby...

"mine,mine,mine"

Don't get me wrong, I love Smashing Pumpkins but Billy's ego is just way too big to be in a band. Going into it like that, I would expect the band to end in complete disaster.
"I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams... and my career and my old bank account balance and my old groupies..."

Did he pound the table when he said it?
Old 06-21-05, 02:08 PM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/...6/18118271.pdf

link to the full page ad

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 06-21-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
I still wish they would release a recording of the farewell show a few years ago.

I too wish for a professional release, but the show can be found on the internet.

Its decent...but its recorded from the audience. (which can be good or bad)

I dunno how i feel about them reforming and continuing from where they left off. I like the Pumpkins, but i really hated their final album. It sounded over-produced and Billy took his whine to 11 on that album.
Old 06-21-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sounds to me like he's gonna pull an everclear and just use the name for himself
Old 06-21-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
In full-page advertisements in Chicago newspapers, the bald-headed Corgan said...
Now why was this necessary? I mean, you don't have news stories about the Vice President giving a speech where it would say, "the bald-headed Cheney said..." Are they trying to imply that he is too old for this sort of thing?
Old 06-21-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Any other cynics out there who find it a little coincidental that Billy made the biggest publicity announcement he possibly could on the same day his solo album was released?
Old 06-21-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cungar
Any other cynics out there who find it a little coincidental that Billy made the biggest publicity announcement he possibly could on the same day his solo album was released?
I didn't want to be the first to state the obvious. Check out the bottom of the press release.
Old 06-21-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
I'll be very happy about this if it actually comes to pass. I would love the chance to see them in concert once again. We'll see what happens ... but I don't think I'll be holding my breath.
Old 06-21-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Billy always seemed like a bit of a baby to me even though im a huge fan of the Pumpkins music.I remember him being interviewed talking about how when Kurt(Cobain)died how that really took the wind outta our sails(i guess referring to the "scene" at that time) and about how music fans had switched to the Britney Spears' and Backstreet Boys of the world.That really bothered me because all of a sudden he wasnt "the man" in music so therefore he couldnt make any more good music which in my opinion he didnt after Mellon Collie anyway.

Last edited by astrochimp; 06-21-05 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-21-05, 07:48 PM

Hey Billy, let it go. Seriously.

Besides, all your best music were written at a time of angst. Your head's in a different place now.

No SP music > Happy SP music
Old 06-21-05, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That ad is pretty self absorbed, but since Siamese Dream is a top-10 album for me, I remain open minded.
Old 06-21-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, don't get me wrong, seeing the songs from Siamese Dream era performed in a small club was one of the best concert experiences of my life, but to me it's like if John Bonham came back from the dead. Led Zep, while having the potential to still be good in a live setting, would be no where close to what they were in their prime. It just won't be the same anymore. Everyone has their own personal "hey day". Sure it's tempting to re-live the glory days, who wouldn't want that feeling back, but it will never measure up to the original, no matter how hard you try. In many cases, sub-par attempts do nothing but tarnish memories of the original magic. Don't get me wrong, I think a reunion tour down the road is a great idea, but as far as new music measuring up, or thinking he could ever top what's already been laid in stone, forget it. On that note, bring on The Police!
Old 06-21-05, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I don't care what all you naysayers say. This is the coolest news ever. I don't care if Cuba has democratic elections tomorrow.
Old 06-21-05, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is this guy still on Smallville too?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.