Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Smashing Pumpkins to reform

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Smashing Pumpkins to reform

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-06, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whynotsmile
holy shit, check out billycorgan.org!
Site temporarily down. Back in 2 hours.

Is this what you saw?

EDIT: Nevermind - back up. Interesting. New SP album in April - though the disclaimer on the site says it's unofficial and unconfirmed.

Last edited by FrozenMetalHead; 01-25-06 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-25-06, 02:15 PM

I see this...

Old 01-25-06, 02:15 PM

It's up now, albeit a bit slow.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Drawn

The groundbreaking new album set to hit store in April featuring backup vocals by Ben Gibbard from Death Cab for Cutie.
But right below it, it says "Keep in mind this website is unofficial and everything in it contained is unconfirmed and/or unofficial."
Old 01-25-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by SeekOnce
It's up now, albeit a bit slow.

But right below it, it says "Keep in mind this website is unofficial and everything in it contained is unconfirmed and/or unofficial."
Billycorgan.com (or Myspace) is his official site. But really, April? Way too soon. Not that didn't just dribble in my pants a little bit.
Old 01-25-06, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Virex
http://www.billycorgan.org/

"Site temporarily down. Back in two hours."

So what was it?
haha a load of crap, that's what.
Old 01-26-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Atlantica Records....hahaha
Old 02-02-06, 04:56 PM

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/152...headlines=true

Smashing Pumpkins Reunion Is Under Way, According To Sources

Rumors of a Smashing Pumpkins reunion have been rife ever since bandleader Billy Corgan took out a full-page ad in a Chicago newspaper saying he wants the group to re-form. And according to onetime Pumpkins bassist Melissa Auf Der Maur as well as a source close to the situation, the rumors are true.

In fact, Auf Der Maur said Corgan has been working on material that will, at some point, surface in the form of a new Smashing Pumpkins album.

"From what I understand, Billy [will be] making a Pumpkins record over the next little while," Auf Der Maur told MTV News last week. "Everyone knows Billy doesn't need too many people to make a Pumpkins record, other than Jimmy [Chamberlin, longtime Pumpkins drummer] — who he has [on board]."

A spokesperson for Azoff Management confirmed Thursday (February 2) that Corgan and Chamberlin have signed on with the firm as Smashing Pumpkins, and that the two are writing new music. A source close to the situation told MTV News that the duo plan to record over the summer and that the new Pumpkins could surface before the end of the year — however, no definitive plans are set.

Auf Der Maur said she's not sure whether Corgan has reached out to guitarist James Iha or bassist D'Arcy Wretzky to complete the band's original lineup, but she said she's told Corgan that she'd be happy to pitch in if he needs her; Auf Der Maur replaced Wretzky in 1999 and worked with the group until it disbanded in 2000 (see "Pumpkins Circus Folds Up With Epic Show").

"My services are there for him whenever he needs them," she said. "Assuming I'm not on tour — but even then, we can cross paths. I love the Pumpkins, and to play those songs again would be nothing but fun for me. It was a big part of my life."

Still, Auf Der Maur said it wouldn't be a true Pumpkins reunion without D'Arcy's bass. "The coolest thing would be if D'Arcy was around, but I don't know where she's at and I don't think [Corgan or Chamberlin] do either," she said. "But I feel very comfortable being second best."

The bassist worked with Corgan several months ago on a track called "Took Me Apart" that's slated to appear on her forthcoming, as-yet-untitled second solo disc, which is tentatively scheduled to come out late this year. Since Corgan's proclamation in June that he'd re-form the group (see "Billy Corgan Says He Wants To Re-Form Smashing Pumpkins"), there's been little in the way of actual confirmed news. But that hasn't stopped the rumor mill from cranking, nor has it deterred the dissemination of misinformation.

Last week, for instance, a Web site popped up that claimed the band's forthcoming disc would be out in April, that it would be called Drawn and would feature backing vocals from Death Cab for Cutie's Ben Gibbard. Of course, the site was a hoax — and its timing couldn't have been better, coming after weeks of online speculation that had the Pumpkins reuniting for a headlining spot on this year's Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival.

Speculation that Corgan's seminal rock troupe would be taking Coachella's stage in late April was at least partially quashed on Wednesday, when the event's organizers released the two-day concert's Pumpkin-less official bill (see "Tool And Franz Ferdinand Will Rock Coachella"). That same afternoon, rumors began circulating that the Pumpkins would be headlining Lollapalooza this summer. However, according to the source, if Lolla does come back, "You can take it to the bank [that the Pumpkins] won't be on it."

Corgan's reunion plans were first revealed in June via an ad printed in his hometown's newspaper, the Chicago Tribune, which contained no information on what form the band would take or which members would be involved; his relationships with Iha and Wretzky have been reported as strained. Corgan has remained mum since taking out the ad, posting only occasional (and nebulous) messages on his MySpace blog. The last, dated December 12, promised, "The surprise I have in store for you all will be announced soon enough. Hold on to your horses. After all, good things surely come to those who wait. Don't you just love the suspense?"

Whether or not she's involved, Auf Der Maur says she just wants the band's reunion to be done right. "I hope they don't rush it, 'cause the record should be the absolute best it can be. [And they should] then strategize, because as we know, grunge is about to come back: The '80s trend is almost done and we're about to hit 1990 again. It's scary to think, but very true."

Corgan, Chamberlin, Iha and Wretzky could not be reached for comment at press time.

— Chris Harris, with additional reporting by Rodrigo Perez
Old 02-02-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Grunge is about to come back? That's news to me.
Old 02-03-06, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Grunge is about to come back? That's news to me.
What's even more funny is that the Pumpkins NEVER were considered part of the grunge genre.
Old 02-03-06, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Snap
Old 02-03-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
What's even more funny is that the Pumpkins NEVER were considered part of the grunge genre.
But they did get lumped in with that genre more than a few times back then--thanks in no small part to their inclusion on the Singles soundtrack.

Last edited by Matt; 02-03-06 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-03-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But they did get lumped in with that genre more than a few times back then--thanks in no small part to their inclusion on the Singles soundtrack.
What's worse is that Siamese Dream was called a "Nevermind copycat album" despite the fact it came about weeks BEFORE Nevermind.

Grunge was very localized (Seattle), if you weren't from there, IMHO, you weren't grunge. A shit, what great bands from that one city - Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Candlebox, Ben Harper, Mother Love Bone, SDRE, Queensryche, not to mention Jimi Fucking Hendrix!!!
Old 02-03-06, 10:59 AM

What's worse is that Siamese Dream was called a "Nevermind copycat album" despite the fact it came about weeks BEFORE Nevermind.
Gish, you mean? I didn't get into SP until after SD broke, so I didn't pay attention to anything that happened before then, but Gish and Nevermind sound nothing alike.

Grunge was very localized (Seattle), if you weren't from there, IMHO, you weren't grunge. A shit, what great bands from that one city - Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Candlebox, Ben Harper, Mother Love Bone, SDRE, Queensryche, not to mention Jimi Fucking Hendrix!!!
Candlebox, a great Seattle band? And Alice in Chains not?
Old 02-03-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Gish, you mean? I didn't get into SP until after SD broke, so I didn't pay attention to anything that happened before then, but Gish and Nevermind sound nothing alike.
You are right, Gish and Nirvana both came out in 1991. What I really meant is that SP had been around with their sound as long as and prior to Nirvana, yet they got lumped in with "copycats". I agree - nothing alike, although the "feel" of Bleach and Gish are similar (at least production wise).

Candlebox, a great Seattle band? And Alice in Chains not?
The list wasn't complete, but yes, we should definitely add them!! As for Candlebox, they were platinum on their first album. I still listen to it from time to time. Unfortunately, they are a classic case of "you have your whole life to write your first album, but only 6 months to write your next one". Their guitarist is still considered one of the top pros, and hey, they are getting back together as well!!

Last edited by DVD Josh; 02-03-06 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-03-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also think you meant Gish.

Who the hell said Gish was a "Nevermind copycat album"? Gish isnt my favorite SP album, but I doubt very seriously that I would ever confuse it and "Nevermind".

Siamese Dream I suppose one could argue that it is similarly "heavy" much like "Nevermind", but I doubt it had much influence as SP had been playing "Rocket" (a "heavier song) live since mid-1991.
Old 04-20-06, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's now official:

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/

AHHHHHHHHH!
Old 04-21-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what's official? maybe all of em, maybe not?
Old 04-21-06, 09:56 AM

If they're just recording an album, all Billy really needs is Jimmy. If they're gonna tour behind it, I would think it would be Billy and Jimmy, with Melissa again filling in for D'arcy, and I would assume James would be there, too--but he seems to be the biggest question mark at this point.
Old 04-21-06, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by MWB
If they're just recording an album, all Billy really needs is Jimmy. If they're gonna tour behind it, I would think it would be Billy and Jimmy, with Melissa again filling in for D'arcy, and I would assume James would be there, too--but he seems to be the biggest question mark at this point.

For an album it would be far better if James was involved in the entire thing.
Granted Billy did almost all of the work, but lets not forget James had a hand in writing Mayoniase, Soma, I am One, etc. He's the only other member who was there every step of the way with Billy. Without him, it's not quite the same.

I don't feel nearly as strongly about Melissa replacing D'arcy though.

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 04-21-06, 05:38 PM

I'm to excited about this. I do wonder though if they could sell out arenas anymore. Hopefully they only play small venues, that would rock.
Old 04-21-06, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not to bad mouth her but didn't D'arcy become a crack whore or meth maid or something?
Old 04-22-06, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/152...pumpkins.jhtml

Smashing Pumpkins Site Says 'It's Official' — Band Has Reunited

'The Smashing Pumpkins are currently writing songs for their upcoming album,' the band's Web site reports.

According to the Smashing Pumpkins Web site, "It's official. The Smashing Pumpkins are currently writing songs for their upcoming album, their first since 2000."

The popular 1990s rockers have been tipped to reunite for months, ever since leader Billy Corgan took out a full-page ad in the Chicago Tribune last summer announcing his intentions to re-form the band (see "Billy Corgan Says He Wants To Re-Form Smashing Pumpkins"). In December, he posted another cryptic message on his MySpace page, which read, "The surprise I have in store for you all will be announced soon enough. Hold on to your horses. After all, good things surely come to those who wait. Don't you just love the suspense?"

Otherwise, Corgan has been mum on when or how the reunion will take place and who will join him on the second go-round. The only other new information on the official Web site is that "no release date has been set yet, but the band plans to begin recording this summer."

A source close to the group confirmed last week that the Pumpkins were in "pre-production" mode, but did not discuss who would be in the band's lineup for the new album and expected tour. Corgan has been estranged from original bassist D'Arcy Wretzky for more than seven years, since she left the band prior to the release of 2000's Machina/ The Machines of God. She was replaced by former Hole bassist Melissa Auf Der Maur, who told MTV earlier this year that she would be happy to rejoin the group (see "Smashing Pumpkins Reunion Is Under Way, According To Sources"). The status of guitarist James Iha, who has also had strained relations with Corgan over the years, is also unknown.

The last original recording from the Pumpkins, Machina II: The Friends and Enemies of Modern Music, was released on the Internet as a free download in 2000. On December 2, 2000, the band played what Corgan said would be their last-ever show, at the club that helped launch their careers more than 12 years earlier, Chicago's Metro.

Days before the group's final show, Corgan was asked if there was any chance that Wretzky might make a surprise appearance and signal a thaw in their relationship. He joked, "Obi-Wan [Kenobi] has a better chance of playing with us."

Then again, he opened that last, epic 4-hour show with the quip, "Welcome to the last gasp of the Smashing Pumpkins" and said in the days after the gig, "This is the last time I will play all these songs for the rest of my life." At the time, he said he had discussed it with the group's other members and they'd all decided that they would never play live together again (see "Pumpkins Circus Folds Up With Epic Show").

But never seems to have come sooner than Corgan thought, as the one person who is definitely on board is his long-time right hand man and the group's muscular drummer, Jimmy Chamberlin (see "Smashing Pumpkins Drummer On Reunion: 'I'm In, And I'm Excited' "). (A spokesperson for Azoff Management confirmed in February that Corgan and Chamberlin had signed on with the firm as the Smashing Pumpkins.) Chamberlin was also the drummer for Corgan's short-lived post-Pumpkins group, Zwan.

Earlier this year, Auf Der Maur said Corgan has been working on material that will, at some point, surface in the form of a new Smashing Pumpkins album. "From what I understand, Billy [will be] making a Pumpkins record over the next little while," Auf Der Maur told MTV News. "Everyone knows Billy doesn't need too many people to make a Pumpkins record, other than Jimmy [Chamberlin, longtime Pumpkins drummer] — who he has [on board]."

Auf Der Maur said she's game for a reunion. "My services are there for him whenever he needs them," she said in February. "Assuming I'm not on tour — but even then, we can cross paths. I love the Pumpkins, and to play those songs again would be nothing but fun for me. It was a big part of my life."

— Gil Kaufman, with additional reporting by Chris Harris and Rodrigo Perez
Old 04-22-06, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it's just Corgan and Chamberlin from the original lineup, then what's the point. A Zwan by any other name will bore as awfully.
Old 04-22-06, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by woofman
Not to bad mouth her but didn't D'arcy become a crack whore or meth maid or something?
I think the word you are looking for is mother.
Old 08-16-06, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Update from pitchfork:

The following message has mysteriously appeared on the Smashing Pumpkins website:

"The Smashing Pumpkins are currently in the recording studio with legendary producer Roy Thomas Baker (Queen, The Cars, The Darkness), at work on their first new album since 1999."

-------------

Debate amongst yourselves...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.