Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Smashing Pumpkins to reform

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Smashing Pumpkins to reform

Old 07-09-05, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I can answer all questions. The video is from Act IV, the Pumpkins tribute concert. It's been going on for charity for a few years. Basically, local bands cover pumpkins songs for charity.

It should have tipped you off it wasn't Billy when at the end he says "I'm looking for representation"
Old 07-09-05, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
Aaahhh, I didn't make it to the end. My roomate is in bed, and came out asking me to turn it down. It's hard for me to turn down that song, soooo . . .

Good thing she's moving out in a week. Computing naked with the volume cranked!!! Oh, yes, it's all good.
Old 07-09-05, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I will never fault a fellow pumpkins fan for his opinion. I will say that the rock versions of these songs are incredible from these albums.

To me, it's all about SD. It's a perfect album, start to finish.
Here's the perfect "Adore" album to me:

To Sheila - live The Edge 2/6/2000
Ava Adore - Jools Holland Live (rock)
Perfect - Puff Daddy remix
Daphne Descends - either live (rock) version or Kerry B. remix
Once Upon a Time - live, acoustic
Tear - live
Crestfallen - as is, or the extended live version w/ solo
The rest of the album - as is
Old 07-09-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Grimfarrow
I also liked "MACHINA" quite a bit. I mean, how can anyone not like "I of the Mourning" or "Raindrops + Sunshowers"?
Great songs.
Old 07-10-05, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by automator
That very well may be your opinion.
Where exactly did i state it is anything more than my opinion?

"I don't consider Machina to qualify as "techno" or really "music" for that matter."

I don't like Machina, i said it. If you don't like my wording of how i dislike the final Pumpkins album then i can't help you out.
Old 07-10-05, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whether or not you like Adore, Machina, Mary, Star of the Sea, or TheFutureEmbrace, you have to give Corgan a lot of credit for never repeating himself. Every album is a completely different sonic landscape. In today's music scene he is completely unique in that respect.

That being said, TFE is definitely an album that gets better with repetition. I couldn't get through the thing the first couple times I put it in, but now I have developed an appreciation for all but one or two songs on that album.

My guess is that the SP "reunion" will get back to the SD-era sound. I think Billy's pushed this future-rock sound as far as he wishes.
Old 07-11-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by UAIOE
Where exactly did i state it is anything more than my opinion?

"I don't consider Machina to qualify as "techno" or really "music" for that matter."

I don't like Machina, i said it. If you don't like my wording of how i dislike the final Pumpkins album then i can't help you out.
Fair enough.
Old 07-11-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
I hope Billy's next album is with a full band, I don't care who it is. I never want to hear electronic drums again. They make my ears bleed.
Old 01-19-06, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

from NME:

Smashing Pumpkins set to reform for festivals
Live dates this year looking more likely
Smashing Pumpkins are strongly rumoured to be reforming this summer for live shows - with Coachella touted as their comeback.

Singer Billy Corgan has made no secret of the fact he wants to reform his old band, and NME.COM has learned the band are set to make their comeback at the Californian festival on April 30.

Writing recently on his webpage, Corgan hinted reformation plans were coming along.

"The surprise I have in store for you all will be announced soon enough," he said. "Hold on to your horses. After all, good things surely comes to those who wait....Don't you just love the suspense?"

Corgan remains friends with former Pumpkins drummer Jimmy Chamberlain, and is also in contact with the band's second bassist Melissa Auf Der Maur, having collaborated with her on her forthcoming second solo album.

The first rumours of the band reforming came when the singer took out an advert in the local Chicago Tribune newspaper where he said "his heart" remains with his old band.

He wrote: "When I played the final Smashing Pumpkins show on the night of December 2, 2000, I walked off the stage believing that I was forever leaving a piece of my life behind. I naively tried to start a new band, but found that my heart wasn't in it. I moved away to pursue a love that I once had but got lost. So I moved back home to heal what was broken in me, and to my surprise I found what I was looking or. I found that my heart is in Chicago, and that my heart is in the Smashing Pumpkins.

"For a year now I have walked around with a secret, a secret I chose to keep. But now I want you to be among the first to know that I have made plans to renew and revive the Smashing Pumpkins. I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams. In this desire I feel I have come home again."

Smashing Pumpkins split in 2000 after the release of their final album 'Machina'. Following the split Corgan formed Zwan, who split after one record.
Old 01-19-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by auto
from NME:

Smashing Pumpkins set to reform for festivals
Live dates this year looking more likely
Smashing Pumpkins are strongly rumoured to be reforming this summer for live shows - with Coachella touted as their comeback.

Singer Billy Corgan has made no secret of the fact he wants to reform his old band, and NME.COM has learned the band are set to make their comeback at the Californian festival on April 30.

Wow. What a good time for Netphoria to go down!
Old 01-19-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
I'm still waiting for a release of that long farewell show.
Old 01-19-06, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by auto
Corgan remains friends with former Pumpkins drummer Jimmy Chamberlain, and is also in contact with the band's second bassist Melissa Auf Der Maur, having collaborated with her on her forthcoming second solo album.
Guess that means D'arcy's not coming back.
Old 01-19-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SeekOnce
Guess that means D'arcy's not coming back.
When she left, that was it for her.
Old 01-19-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last I heard, she was busted for possesion of crack.
Old 01-19-06, 09:05 PM

Ok, so probably no D'arcy but what are the chances James comes back? I'm going to have a hard time accepting this as the Smashing Pumpkins if it's Billy, Jimmy, and fill in the blanks with whomever.
Old 01-20-06, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mparysz
Ok, so probably no D'arcy but what are the chances James comes back? I'm going to have a hard time accepting this as the Smashing Pumpkins if it's Billy, Jimmy, and fill in the blanks with whomever.
Billy Corgan IS the Smashing Pumpkins. Next, I'd have to say Jimmy would round out the sound. As much as I like them, James and D'arcy did nothing to contribute to the sound. Hell, on Gish and SD, they don't even play their instruments (Billy did the parts).

It would be nice if James came back, but I don't personally care. The two that make up the core of the band are enough for me.
Old 01-20-06, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mparysz

Probably a 10% chance of seeing James again. He's pretty much out.
Old 01-20-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I really wish that their comeback album sounds like vintage pumpkins. I mean, I truly appreciate the fact that Billy hasn't ever really released the same album twice but their comes a time when you have enough credo to make the album your fans want. Look at what happened to the RHCP when they released Californication for example.

Also, I'd really like D'Arcy to come back. Not only because she's the only one that could stand upto Billy (about tracklistings & such) but if she comes back that increases James chances tenfold.
Old 01-20-06, 11:03 AM

Billy Corgan IS the Smashing Pumpkins. Next, I'd have to say Jimmy would round out the sound. As much as I like them, James and D'arcy did nothing to contribute to the sound. Hell, on Gish and SD, they don't even play their instruments (Billy did the parts).

It would be nice if James came back, but I don't personally care. The two that make up the core of the band are enough for me.
Well, if the two are what makes the Smashing Pumpkins, then I don't think Billy had to take out a one-page ad to get his old bandmates back. Remember, Billy and Jimmy were in Zwan. And I'm pretty sure Jimmy did some tracks on Billy's solo album.

Just hiring another guitarist and bassist won't make it the Pumpkins again. James and D'arcy had bigger roles than that.
Old 01-20-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, if the two are what makes the Smashing Pumpkins, then I don't think Billy had to take out a one-page ad to get his old bandmates back. Remember, Billy and Jimmy were in Zwan. And I'm pretty sure Jimmy did some tracks on Billy's solo album.

Just hiring another guitarist and bassist won't make it the Pumpkins again. James and D'arcy had bigger roles than that.
You should re-read that ad. It doesn't say anything remotely close to what you are saying.

James and Darcy had roles, true, but those roles were more for show than anything else. There are very few tracks on pumpkins albums where they made significant contributions. Live, well, D'arcy's bass skills are well known (she has none) and James got to be one hell of a guitarist, but he was just playing what Billy wrote.

I love SP. I would love for it to be the SP of SD and Gish and MCIS. But it won't be, and it doesn't need to be, as they were not large parts of the band. They were large parts of YOUR memory of the band, and that's something completely different.
Old 01-20-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, the only real musical thing that James added that I appreciate is some music on Mayonaise. Otherwise, it's the Billy and Jimmy show.
Old 01-20-06, 07:50 PM

You should re-read that ad. It doesn't say anything remotely close to what you are saying.

James and Darcy had roles, true, but those roles were more for show than anything else. There are very few tracks on pumpkins albums where they made significant contributions. Live, well, D'arcy's bass skills are well known (she has none) and James got to be one hell of a guitarist, but he was just playing what Billy wrote.

I love SP. I would love for it to be the SP of SD and Gish and MCIS. But it won't be, and it doesn't need to be, as they were not large parts of the band. They were large parts of YOUR memory of the band, and that's something completely different.
But it's not just about who contributed what. Sure D'arcy sucks. Sure, most of the songs James has written mostly ended up as b-sides. But their roles were more than just show not to me but to Billy. Why else take an ad out saying "I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams." I mean why couldn't he find what he was missing with Zwan? Or with his solo record? Could Billy, Jimmy, and two hired hands come up with new material and call it a Pumpkins record? I don't think so because Billy would've done it already if that was the case.

You're saying Billy & Jimmy are the Pumpkins and can therefore continue to write Pumpkins music. I respectfully disagree.
Old 01-20-06, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But it's not just about who contributed what. Sure D'arcy sucks. Sure, most of the songs James has written mostly ended up as b-sides. But their roles were more than just show not to me but to Billy. Why else take an ad out saying "I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams." I mean why couldn't he find what he was missing with Zwan? Or with his solo record? Could Billy, Jimmy, and two hired hands come up with new material and call it a Pumpkins record? I don't think so because Billy would've done it already if that was the case.

You're saying Billy & Jimmy are the Pumpkins and can therefore continue to write Pumpkins music. I respectfully disagree.
I'm glad to see someone else has passionate feelings about this band, agree or disagree We both just want to hear SP make music again.

I personally believe that James and Darcy were there because they were yes men. He basically taught James guitar and Darcy bass. He made them famous and rich. And they were loyal in return. But he has admitted many times that James and Darcy served purposes to him personally and spiritually, music notwithstanding.

Billy had the misfortune of forming Zwan with some real assholes. They turned on him and that screwed that up. As for his solo record, i think that was more experimental than anything else.

I just hope he decides to bring back rock, and not keep progressing into whatever he was doing with TFE.
Old 01-25-06, 01:07 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

holy shit, check out billycorgan.org!
Old 01-25-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whynotsmile
holy shit, check out billycorgan.org!
http://www.billycorgan.org/

"Site temporarily down. Back in two hours."

So what was it?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.