Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Misfits

Old 04-20-05, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cultshock
Sorry man, but those two songs are on the collection CDs too ("Bullet" on the first set, "Last Caress" on the second)

The only thing that the box set is really missing are the recordings from the Walk Among US LP (which wasn't released by Plan 9, so its because of rights issues). But the songs do appear on the box set in alternate versions (different takes, live, etc)

The original Misfits were an amazing band. Impossibly catchy songs, with cool horror movie lyrics. Wish I had a chance to see them back in the day. The best I can do is watch a terrible quality bootleg video I have, recorded at one of their concerts around 1982-3.

Ok, I figured it out. Those two songs AREN'T on Collections 1 and 2 that appear in the box set. I think that's it.
Old 04-21-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
in about a week, i have the chance to see them at sonar nightclub in baltimore city, and was wondering if it be worth it. sans the original lead singer, is it the same band?
Old 04-21-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
in about a week, i have the chance to see them at sonar nightclub in baltimore city, and was wondering if it be worth it. sans the original lead singer, is it the same band?
Kind of different, because their last album Project 1950 is an album of fifties cover songs. They still sound kind of good, but not quite the same. If it's cheap I say, "Why not?"
Old 04-21-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by woofman
This thread really takes me back. While in Jr. High & High School (late 80's-early 90's) my friends and I would live to discover new Misfits songs. This was the time when their releases were still just coming out on CD. The best part was coming across a "questionable" album that had unreleased songs on it. "Return of the Fly" anyone, or how about that original version of "she" with keyboards instead of guitar! Or the live LP's and 45's with the classic artwork. If I can dig them out sometime I should try to post pictures of some ofthe records I still have packed up somewhere. And don't even get me started on the vintage posters....

the old records and original anything goes for a ton of dough on ebay. I sold most of my vinyl on ebay since I couldn't resist how much original misfits/samhain stuff was/is going for.
Old 04-21-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scarredgod
i just wish Danzig would be able to get this tour off the ground with special guest Doyle playing the Misfits set. at least be able to get it out of california.

i wish Metallica, who at least seem like huge fans of The Misfits, at least they used to have a Misfits shirt on in every old interview and even the new documentary, would throw some big bucks at Glenn and give Misfits an opening slot on one of their tours. i know if i was a billionaire like metallica, i would throw huge money to get to see one of my fave bands every night.
I'm surprised Glenn's still touring. From the sound of the last two albums it sounds like his voice is completely shot.

I'm pretty sure Metallica already did a tour with Danzig about ten-twelve years ago. And if the persistent rumours about how difficult Glenn is to work with that have followed him his entire career are true, I doubt they'd be willing to do it again, especially after the Metallica/G'nR tour.
Old 04-21-05, 11:01 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i saw a gwar/misfits show a few yrs back....i left 3 songs into the misfits and im a huge danzig era misfits fan. to me they sounded horrible live.... gwar was fun though as usuall!
Old 04-21-05, 11:03 AM

still my favorite band.

while the new stuff just dosent have the magic of the original danzig era, its not all that bad. personally i think the new misfits albums are considerably better than anything danzig's put out the last 15 odd years.

the current lineup is Jerry Only on bass, Dez (from Black Flag) on guitar, and Marky Ramone (ok you know where he is from) on drums, which i think is pretty neat. I certainly never thought id hear some of those songs again live, especially from the people who made them! I think the shows are pretty good. I did miss the last show locally because Gwar was playing the same night, and i hadnt seen them in years. (ironically since they opened for the misfits in like 99) dont know why they couldnt have both played at the same venue.

I saw Danzig about a month ago, and I have to say I liked the "Misfits" shows a lot better
Old 04-21-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
the old records and original anything goes for a ton of dough on ebay. I sold most of my vinyl on ebay since I couldn't resist how much original misfits/samhain stuff was/is going for.
It's crazy how much that stuff is going for. Unfortunately I think most of my stuff is not very "official", but still great recordings none the less.
Old 04-21-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the opening acts for the show coming up are fishnet stalkers and kamekazero both of which i have never heard of. its only 17.50 if anyone wants to try to go with me.
Old 04-22-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
My 18 month old son found my copy of Evillive CASSETTE last night. This is so weird as I have not owned a cassette player, aside the cd/cassette boombox and car stereo, since 1991. I thought I got rid of all of my cassettes except for some stuff that was unavailable on CD. But last night I go into our computer room and laying on the ground behind my chair is a tape, I pick it up and it is Evillive - such an awesome coincidence. Perhaps I should send it to the RCAA and demand they replace it with a current medium since I already paid for the right to listen to the contents.
Old 04-22-05, 08:11 PM

anyone knows if Doyle will ever return to the band?
Old 05-01-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw that GWAR/Misfits tour and didn't care for the misfits then or prior. only recently did i really get into them, well, Danzig era anyway. Now, i wish i had paid a bit more attention to them that night. but hey, GWAR of course was awesome as always.
Old 05-02-05, 12:00 PM

ive heard Danzig made more money off his royalties from Metallica's Garage Days than from his own work. Pretty sad, especially when you meet people who think Last Caress is a Metallica song.

Doyle: I dont think a return is likely at this point. He's been on quite the hiatus now...at least a couple years it seems. My understanding was that he wanted to spend time away from music with his wife and kids - and then he plays a show or two with Danzig. So my guess is that Doyle and Jerry had some kind of falling out. While Jerry dosent seem to be the jackhole Danzig is, im guessing working with him isnt a bowl of cherries either, as evidenced by the whole Michael Graves/Dr.Chud blowup.
Old 05-02-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

(O')Doyle Rules!
Old 05-02-05, 11:08 PM

kinda off topic, but right before Christmas, Doyle played with Danzig for I think 3 shows. Saw him at the Key Club in Hollywood, and it was a pretty decent show. Did a set of 6 Misfits song, and it was great.
Old 07-29-11, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: The Misfits

I checked out some songs from "The Misfits."

Good stuff. I don't get how Danzig can talk about "Bodies all hang, headless and limp..."

and then make a lovey dovey song, "Oh what a night, riding with you, I'm wanting yoooouuu."

My favorite is the keyboard version of "She." He sounds like Elvis and Jim Morrison.
Old 07-29-11, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Danzig-era Misfits is some of my favorite music of all-time.

The current Jerry Only-led era is laughably, insultingly bad.
Old 07-29-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Discovered then in 1986. Been a fan for 25 years.
Old 07-29-11, 01:34 PM

One of my favorite bands. "Spook City USA" is my favorite song of theirs.
Old 07-29-11, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

they're one of NJ's great bands. Awful live back in the day, seriously bad... good studio recordings though. Danzig strikes me as a macho asshole kind of guy. Never particularly cared for him.
Old 07-29-11, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Danzig Era = my favorite band ever
Graves Era = pretty good. I came around to it. Didn't like it for a long time, but it is a different band.
Only Era = Shit
Old 07-29-11, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Static Age is such an amazing album, ahead of its time, and the fact that no record company wanted to release this debut back in the late 70s is criminal IMO. I think it would be heralded as the seminal punk album had it been given its due. The Misfits with Danzig = greatness.
Old 08-01-11, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jrsl76
Danzig Era = my favorite band ever
Graves Era = pretty good. I came around to it. Didn't like it for a long time, but it is a different band.
Only Era = Shit
I went to high school with a weird dude who scrawled "Misfits" and "Black Flag" all over his note books. And I thought, "they must be awful". Then I checked out Walk Among Us & Nervous Breakdown and thought "that freak is a genius!".

Now, almost 30 years later, Danzig era Misfits remains some of my favorite music. Imagine my surprise when a little local dive bar, where my 15 year old son has played a couple of matinee shows, put up a sign last year saying the Misfits were playing there. I debated whether I'd go to see them and decided that I didn't want to sully my memories of the band and passed on the opportunity.
Old 08-01-11, 02:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Danzig era is the only era of the Misfits I acknowledge.
Old 08-01-11, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The Danzig era is the only era of the Misfits I acknowledge.
Agreed.

Though I did sort of like Project 1950.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.