Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Any Good/Awful U2 Ticket-Buying Stories?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Things here in Chicago got ugly but got better.
U2 Apologizes for site's ticket sales debacle

I can't believe many people paid $40 to buy early and got screwed. But I think they got doubly-screwed if they ended up missing GA tickets since they were all mysteriously "gone" (and on ebay) and bought the $165 tickets--only to see 2 shows added and non-fanclub members pick up GA tickets for those shows.

I was actually one of those (non-fanclub) people, frozen out on Ticketmonster for 5/7, then 5/9, then I saw 5/10 pop up, NOTHING again, then 5/12 popped up and I by some miracle got two GA tickets.

I used to be in Propoganda but bagged the whole thing this year w/the $40 charge. I'm very happy w/my tickets, of course, and was wondering how others have fared...
Old 01-29-05, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ugh. Went the $40 route and got nothing.

Public sale? GA in San Diego. Aww yeah.

RS
Old 01-30-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was a member of Propaganda a few years back, but I pa$$ed on their new fan club. And as I've read on many sites, it was a good move!

Tried for $49.50 Philly 5/14 this morning and passed on seats that were diagonally behind them, hoping to get something in front of them. That didn't work as it had sold out. Then I saw that they added another Philly show on 5/22 so I snagged "cheap" tix for that one.

The 5/22 show is inconvenient for me so now I'm just looking to trade for the 5/14 show.

And oh yeah - MSG goes on sale on Monday morning, and I'm going to try for 6 tickets (myself and for friends/family) but I don't think I have a chance in hell !!
Old 01-30-05, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by uteotw
Things here in Chicago got ugly but got better.
U2 Apologizes for site's ticket sales debacle
That's pretty funny, they "apologize" to the people, but at least per the story, haven't refunded their $40. And I thought that ebay was supposed to cancel tickets when the price gets above face value?

I've seen U2 twice, once for the ZooTV tour in '92 (?) and once for whatever tour was in '97, both times I got complimentary tickets through a radio station. Not bad shows, though I wouldn't pay what the tickets are selling for (even face value) to see them.
Old 01-30-05, 03:11 AM

i bought 6 tickets today for the san diego show first night, my brother works at a store with ticket master he bought my tickets as soon as ticket master opened. still got stuck in terrace, not bad at least i'm going he said it sold out in 5 miniets, and floor was sold out before tix went on sale. kind of feel bad for he said alot of people were mad at him,he felt his life was in danger lol
Old 01-31-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen 7 of the last 8 U2 shows in Chicago and I got shut out of all tickets for this go-round.

Anybody got 1 (yes, I said just 1!) extra?
Old 01-31-05, 11:48 AM

I went to the main box office in Philadelphia (the Wachovia Spectrum) bright and early on Saturday morning----got there around 7am. I thought I would just wait in line, but they gave you a numbered wristband randomly. Around 9am, they put us all in a number order. I was about #120 in line--and never even reached the box office before both of the shows were sold out. Good waste of about 5 hours of my life in the draining cold.

Few people in line got GA tickets, who is getting these? I don't understand how all the scalpers already have dozens of these, whereas people who wait in line for hours can't even walk away with a pair of ANY tickets, let alone GA. The fan club isn't getting them; people online and the phone don't seem to be getting them...

I tried this morning for the NY and NJ shows online and never even went through once.

I hope I can catch them when they come around again in the fall...I don't think it's worth waiting in line anymore when competing with the internet and telephones. Does anyone have any ideas on how to actually get tix without paying $500 to a scalper?
Old 01-31-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A co-worker and I tried for MSG this morning at 8:59am (and on) and got shut out. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I had to try for 6.

Even though I regret not going for 3 and 3, it seems that not many people had much luck with this show.

At least there's still Philly!
Old 01-31-05, 06:46 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
I got GA's for San Jose on 4/9 through the "fanclub"

Nerve racking and it sucked, but I guess there are around 1200 GA tickets per venue, and if people buy 2, then that's 600 sets of tickets. and supposedly ETS and AMEX got a chunk so if they each get 100, then its 400 pairs of tickets to the fans and then you have scalpers jumping in too.

I need another 2 for 2 friends, so it looks like we'll end up doing the ebay route or cl to get the floor tickets and averaging out the price to ~100 or 125 / ticket. Better than 200 or 250 each
Old 01-31-05, 09:29 PM

The fan club didn't guarentee anything at all. It just stated that it would give members a chance to buy tickets before the general public. As for eBay people can sell tickets for what ever they want, as long as they follow the state laws for which the event is located in.

As for the added shows, everyone I knew who was trying to get tickets knew they were adding extra shows after the first ones sold out. It's how they did it on the last tour and with so many open dates around a small handful of shows it made perfect sense.
Old 02-01-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Last two times U2 played LA I got excellent seats by waiting until a day or two before the show and logging onto Ticketmaster. Hopefully it will work this time too but if not, I'll survive.
Old 02-01-05, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by MFRONE
The fan club didn't guarentee anything at all. It just stated that it would give members a chance to buy tickets before the general public....
From U2.com:

"Q - How many tickets will I be able to buy under the priority booking arrangement as a member of U2.Com ?
A - You will be able to buy two tickets for any indoor U2 show or four tickets for any outdoor U2 show."

I don't know, sounds a lot like guaranteeing to me...
Old 02-01-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
<---runs a U2 website, and is a big fan and a $40 sucker. I bombed out 3 times on first day of pre-sale trying to get tickets for San Diego opener. Tickets went from great lower bowls to good lower bowls to fair bowls, to nosebleeds which I paid $370 for. TM called me Monday and sold me two GA's for the opener to make up for it. Nice...
Old 02-02-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
As I posted in Davin's thread, I got in right away online trying to get tix for Anaheim show #1, waited in queue for about 15 minutes, then informed that there were no seats and a second show was added.
After hitting refresh a bunch of times, got an opportunity to buy tix for the second show. Waited in queue for over twenty minutes, feeling like a total jackass. Then was shocked to actually get seats! They're not good, but at least I got them.

coda : I told my patient who is a concert promoter (mostly Hip-Hop & Rap) in LV about this and he replied "Oh yeah, I got like eight tickets to that show. I don't know what I'm going to do with them." Arrrrgggghhh!
Old 02-02-05, 04:22 AM

I passed on the spring tour and will see them this fall: Dallas,Austin,Las Vegas
Old 02-02-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
Originally Posted by vman69
I passed on the spring tour and will see them this fall: Dallas,Austin,Las Vegas
They're coming to Vegas in the fall?
Why didn't I know that?
Old 02-02-05, 12:58 PM

I feel fortunate that the majority of music I listen to is not big name acts. I did see U2 in '92, but mostly went for Public Enemy and B.A.D. II. I also won tickets to the '97 tour, but opted to sell those tickets and see Pavement in a bar the same night. I definitely made the right choice.

I miss the days of camping out as being the really ONLY way you could get good tickets. Of course, those days went away along with the rotary phone.

Last edited by duse; 02-02-05 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-02-05, 06:44 PM

The Joshua Tree '87 tour~~I actually bought a ticket from some 17 yr-old kid for approx. $20 more than the face value (I think the ticket price at that time was $20--Hard to believe now since that would be a steal these days). He sat next to me at the show, which was @ the Brendan Byrne Arena (Very close to the place where my first concert experience was if you saw my post on that thread).
Old 02-02-05, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by MGBGT
The Joshua Tree '87 tour~~I actually bought a ticket from some 17 yr-old kid for approx. $20 more than the face value (I think the ticket price at that time was $20--Hard to believe now since that would be a steal these days). He sat next to me at the show, which was @ the Brendan Byrne Arena (Very close to the place where my first concert experience was if you saw my post on that thread).
This was my first U2 concert, and I did camp out overnight (TWO nights) during college. And I think the floor seats were around $22, which seemed crazy high at the time. It was so simple back then: One place to buy tickets, and first come first served...
Old 02-03-05, 08:07 AM

The last time U2 came around, I went to a Ticketmaster outlet to get a pair of tickets. I asked for GA seats so we could get inside the heart-shaped catwalk. When the lady gave me my tickets to look over, I noticed in the 'Seat' box on the ticket it read '409' or something like that. I said again that I wanted General Admission seats and she told me that '409' was the code for GA. In all my years I had never seen that, but she said it with such authority I went with it.

Day of the show, wait in line for hours and all that. When we get in, not only were the tickets NOT general admission, but they were for seats in the VERY LAST ROW of the arena. Our backs were literally against the wall.

Silver lining: Called the next day to complain to Ticketmaster and the woman gave me a complimentary pair of tickets in their box suite for a New Year's Eve Widespread Panic show. Not too bad.
Old 02-07-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got two tickets today for the United Center in Chicago on May 9th. I saw them in 88 for the Joshua Tree tour and can not wait to head up to Chicago.
Old 02-08-05, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

shows sold out in about 5 mins here. didn't have a chance. and they're at an arena! last tour i got tix a week before the show!
Old 02-08-05, 10:44 AM
FM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wanted to see them in Dublin for this show, so I checked for the time difference between Ohio and Ireland and planned my attack. Unfortunately, I failed to confirm the stated time on a second website, so I got up at 4:00 AM for nothing; the tickets went on sale at 3:00 AM EST and were sold out way before 4. D'oh! At least I learned a valuable lesson about double checking things.
Old 02-13-05, 02:59 PM

VMan69: "I passed on the spring tour and will see them this fall: Dallas,Austin,Las Vegas"

what source has confirmed these fall shows??
i live in the southeast and have been waiting for an announcement for atlanta or nashville or even new orleans