Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Record Store Day 2022

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Record Store Day 2022

Old 02-16-22, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts
Record Store Day 2022

NewsItem | RECORD STORE DAY

Looks like it's back to normal with a single Record Store Day (although with plans for a June "drop" in case of any issues). Definitely some stuff I want, but I don't know if it's worth getting up early and waiting on line for.

There's a 7-LP set encompassing the Ramones' entire 80s output, but you know that will be well over $200.
Definitely want that Muffs' record, and the live Stiff Little Fingers set (from 81 and 82 concerts)
a second volume of Sweet outtakes and demos, but from the later part of the band's output which makes it a little less desireable (I.E., I won't plunk down $10 above the already high sticker price like I did for the first volume)
Old 02-16-22, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Re: Record Store Day 2022

Stuff of interest...

ALICE IN CHAINS - WE DIE YOUNG

Grunge flashback. 12" single, so it shouldn't be too expensive.

ANGELO BADALAMENTI - BLUE VELVET

Not big on movie scores, but I do like Blue Velvet and that Italian Poster art.

DAVID BOWIE - BRILLIANT ADVENTURES EP

One of a couple of Bowie offerings. This one looks the most interesting, but I might grab both...

DIO - DOUBLE DOSE OF DONINGTON PD

A couple of older songs recorded live in the 80s at Donington. Not a huge fan of picture discs, but it's Dio.

FOO FIGHTERS - MAKING A FIRE 7"

Foo Fighters. 7". Record Store Day. Must buy.

GBH - CITY BABY ATTACKED BY RATS

Don't have this in any format, so this is on my list. Only 1400 copies; hope it isn't allocated.

GOJIRA - LIVE AT BRIXTON ACADEMY

Gojira live. Need to see a track list, but this is one I'll be looking out for.

Old 02-16-22, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And part two...

KIRK HAMMET - PORTALS

Don't know what this is, but I'll add it to my Metallica collection.

KITTIE - SPIT

Good nu metallish album from back in the day. I'll grab this.

OPETH - MY ARMS YOUR HEARSE

To go with the colored "Morningrise" and "Orchid" RSD vinyls I got last year.

SEPULTURA - REVOLUSONGS PD

Not a fan of picture discs, but I want this covers album from Sepultura.

VA - Soul Jazz Records Presents - PUNK 45: I'm A Mess! D-I-Y Or Die! Art, Trash & Neon – Punk 45s In The UK 1977-78

That title is a fucking mouthful, but this sounds like a neat album to own.

VOIVOD - NOTHINGFACE

Kind of a maybe here; I have an original pressing on vinyl, but if the packaging on this looks good I'll grab it.

Also considering the releases from RHCP and Motorhead.

So that's at least twelve or thirteen releases I'm looking at. A few singles, a few double LPs... Probably looking at something just shy of $400.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 02-17-22 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-16-22, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh wow, didn't see the Punk 45 comp on my first trip through. But that one totally looks like a record I can still grab at 3PM.
Old 03-06-22, 09:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is nothing jumping at me this time around?
Old 03-31-22, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts

1st record store day and I don't know any record stores in my area (yet). Do some/any stores let you reserve items or is that taboo? If I end up not going to a store and want to get just one thing online what type of mark up should I generally expect to see? My one must get is the Pixies live album incase it matters what type of availability the album has. If I go to a shop or shops and happen to find a deal on The Ramones box set I might end up getting it.
Old 03-31-22, 09:16 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Sometimes you never can tell. I am still surprised that the Foo Fighters Dee-Gees RSD release has been constantly selling for over $300 on the secondary market, while older releases with smaller print runs still sell for their retail prices. And I've seen things sell for crazy prices on ebay during RSD weekend only for them to drop back to retail a week later after the hype has died down. The best advice is if it's something that you can't live without make sure that you are there early and have a good place in line*. If it's something that you'd like to have but it wouldn't kill you not to own it, try online or later.

*this really helps if you know your store. My small local store never stocks any of the RSD rock, metal, or punk stuff I am interested in, so if there is something I want for RSD I know I am going to have to make a 75 minute drive to Atlanta to go to a better store that usually has more of the those releases available. For instance they never get the Alice Cooper RSD releases, so if I want those I have to make a trip. You don't want to wait outside a store for an hour or more just to find out that they didn't stock any of the release that you were looking for.
The following users liked this post:
Nesbit (03-31-22)
Old 03-31-22, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info! Going to make a point to go out for it.
Old 03-31-22, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tacking on to Flansered's advice, if you've got multiple RSD stores, check their Facebook pages the night before. Some will post lists or photos of what they'll have. Saves you from waiting in line for an hour or more only to find they never got a copy of the record you wanted in the first place.
Nesbit (03-31-22)
Old 03-31-22, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

They still have record stores?!
Every one I've ever been to in New York has closed.

This might have been the last one I visited.

Old 03-31-22, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
They still have record stores?!
Every one I've ever been to in New York has closed.

I'm sure they've either re-opened, or new ones have taken their place.

Within a 50 mile radius of me:
Record City
M-Theory Music
Folk Arts Rare Records
Vinyl Junkies Record Shack
Normal Records
Reanimated Records
Old Town Records
Spindles Music Shack
Standards
Alma Music
Beat Box Records
Nickelodeon Records
Pack Ratt Records
Cow Music
Feel It Records
Spin Records
Lou's Records

(and I only said "50 mile radius" due to Old Town Records and Spindles. All the other stores are less than 20 miles from me.)
Ash Ketchum (03-31-22)
Old 03-31-22, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff

I'm sure they've either re-opened, or new ones have taken their place.

Within a 50 mile radius of me:
Record City
M-Theory Music
Folk Arts Rare Records
Vinyl Junkies Record Shack
Normal Records
Reanimated Records
Old Town Records
Spindles Music Shack
Standards
Alma Music
Beat Box Records
Nickelodeon Records
Pack Ratt Records
Cow Music
Feel It Records
Spin Records
Lou's Records

(and I only said "50 mile radius" due to Old Town Records and Spindles. All the other stores are less than 20 miles from me.)
Being a fan of physical media, I'm happy to hear that.
Of course, every record store I know in NYC closed way before the pandemic. Book Off still sells CDs (and books and manga and DVDs and videogames, etc.), but they're used and I don't know of any store that offers more than a rack or two of current CDs. OR vinyl. Kinokuniya is a Japanese bookstore that had a small rack of Japanese CDs, although I'm not even sure they still carry them.
Old 03-31-22, 12:36 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

You may not be aware of them, but it appears there are still several in NYC.

Record Stores in New York, NY
Old 03-31-22, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I did a NYC search of record stores because I was sure there had to be a lot of them now. One thing that did surprise me though was how few NYC shops are RSD participants. There's literally double the number of RSD stores in my area, I can usually hit 5 of them on a typical afternoon.
Old 03-31-22, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Do some/any stores let you reserve items or is that taboo?
Under the terms of participating in Record Store Day, stores are not allowed to reserve items for customers.

Though I am positive it does happen at some stores for select customers and friends of the owner.
Old 03-31-22, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's another unwritten rule of RSD: Buy some used records that day too. Really helps the stores out. They'll make more profit off the $7 copy of Breakfast in America than off a $35 Pixies RSD-exclusive. The exclusives are to get you in the door.
The following 3 users liked this post by Paff:
jpcamb (03-31-22), Nesbit (03-31-22), The Cow (03-31-22)
Old 03-31-22, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's another unwritten rule of RSD: Buy some used records that day too. Really helps the stores out. They'll make more profit off the $7 copy of Breakfast in America than off a $35 Pixies RSD-exclusive. The exclusives are to get you in the door.
Most of the record stores seem really small and really cramped, and with the crowds, Record Store Day doesn't seem like the ideal time to browse the used records bins. Especially with COVID-19 still a (small) factor. I just want to get in and out of tiny stores as quickly as I can unless I'm the only person in there. Finding a $7 Supertramp album isn't worth the risk of ending up on a ventilator. I'm more comfortable shopping in big stores where I can distance myself, constantly move, and don't have people breathing down my neck.

I'm also not a big of fan of buying used stock on most things unless it came from a collector like on eBay or discogs. Most of the used stock in record stores is in bad shape and often reeks of cat piss.
Old 03-31-22, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Appreciate the advice but buying more records isnt something I need to be told at the moment lol. Part of the reason I was debating not going in person is the amount I know I'll spend on non record day releases. Closing in on 100 albums three to four months into collecting and though I dont have a ton of rare or super pricey albums I do have a few I spent some $ to grab (Beatles Anthologies being the big ones) and haven't gotten any at a good deal like $7 for Breakfast in America.
Old 04-01-22, 10:25 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Record Store Day doesn't seem like the ideal time to browse the used records bins. Especially with COVID-19 still a (small) factor.
Agreed. Prior to COVID yeah I would hit the used bins on RSD, but when there's a line of people waiting to get into the store at opening and the staff is only letting maybe 7 or 8 people in the store at a time it's not a real good time to take your time and browse the store looking for other things. Especially during the Black Friday RSD when there's a crowd waiting to get into the store and its cold outside.
Old 04-01-22, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flansered
Agreed. Prior to COVID yeah I would hit the used bins on RSD, but when there's a line of people waiting to get into the store at opening and the staff is only letting maybe 7 or 8 people in the store at a time it's not a real good time to take your time and browse the store looking for other things. Especially during the Black Friday RSD when there's a crowd waiting to get into the store and its cold outside.
True, but I got around that at one of the 2020 "drops" without being an A-hole to those waiting on line. After hitting the RSD bins, I told the owners I was done and would be over at the used alternative section, and they chose to let someone else in the line come in. Same effect as me buying my RSD stuff and leaving, except the owner got to sell a few used records to me at a greater profit margin. Win win.
Old 04-04-22, 12:50 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

My preferred local record store usually waits until RSD to put out out any good recent private collections they acquired. As a result, I will typically always stop in regardless of what the RSD titles might be to check out any used gems that were added to the bins that day.

It's also commonplace that for the first hour or so only RSD titles can be purchased -- in the spirit of getting customers in/out quickly. Can then circle back mid-morning to browse the used titles. This process seems to work well for the smaller shops.
Old 04-13-22, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Check the lists, folks, a lot of titles got moved to the second drop on June 18. Unfortunately, only one of my desired titles got moved, I'd like it if they split it up more to make the financial hit more manageable.

As of right now, here are my wants, in order:

1. The Muffs
2. Stiff Little Fingers
3. The Knack
4. Punk 45
5. The Replacements
6. The Ramones

I'd probably only buy The Ramones if I get completely shut out on titles 1-5 at every store I visit, as even though it's less than I feared, $175 is still a big hit.
Old 04-19-22, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Only $150 for the Ramones set at the shop I'm going to. The $175 price include taxes? Have gone back and forth on it multiple times and settling on a pass despite having a 20% off a purchase coupon for the store I m going to. Just going to get the Pixies and save the coupon for another day.

Dropped all the money I was going to spend on the Ramones set and then some on a copy of Fiona Apple's Extraordinary Machine, my 100th vinyl album. Wanted something tough to find that I also love to be #100 so happier with this than 6 Ramones records 3 of which I may not listen to more than once ever.
Old 04-19-22, 09:06 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

There's really not much I'm interested in this year. Might go for The Replacements, Lou Reed demos, The Gun Club and LA Guns. I can see myself either getting all 4 or passing entirely. Regardless, I'll still hit up a couple of my local stores to see what used collections hit the bins that morning.
Old 04-19-22, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Only $150 for the Ramones set at the shop I'm going to. The $175 price include taxes?
I thought I'd heard $175 somewhere, but yeah, yesterday I saw an "unboxing" video on YouTube where they mentioned it was $150. Slightly better, but I'm still only buying in case of total shut out.

Dropped all the money I was going to spend on the Ramones set and then some on a copy of Fiona Apple's Extraordinary Machine, my 100th vinyl album. Wanted something tough to find that I also love to be #100 so happier with this than 6 Ramones records 3 of which I may not listen to more than once ever.
Agree that it's not worth $150 to buy a record set you won't listen to, but just remember the "100th record" is only a thing for YOU. I couldn't tell you if my 100th record is my treasured London Calling or a dollar bin cutout by Yodelin' Andy.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'll be in the early line due to necessity; I got an event to work starting around 11:30am and lasting till late at night, so I gotta do my RSD stuff in the morning.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.