Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

(yet another) London Calling re-release...

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-26-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"A disc of recently discovered demos for the Clash's "London Calling" and a DVD boasting previously unseen live performance footage will be included in Epic Records' Sept. 21 reissue of the English punk band's landmark 1979 album.

The demos, dubbed "The Vanilla Tapes," were recently discovered in a storage facility belonging to guitarist/vocalist Mick Jones, according to a statement issued Thursday by the Legacy Recordings heritage unit of Epic's Sony Music parent.

The demos include songs that did not make the final cut for "London Calling," although a spokesman said the track listing had not been finalized.

In addition to the original album and the demos, "London Calling: The 25th Anniversary Edition" will boast a DVD chronicling the Clash at that point in its existence. A 45-minute documentary was created by longtime biographer Don Letts, and features recording studio footage, previously unreleased live performances, interviews with Jones, late singer/guitarist Joe Strummer (news), drummer Topper Headon and bassist Paul Simonon and a conversation with one-time band manager Kosmo Vinyl.

The new edition will also feature full song lyrics, a new essay and photos by band photographer Pennie Smith, who was responsible for the blurry cover shot of an angry Simonon smashing his bass during a gig at the New York Palladium.

"London Calling," the Clash's third album, has come to be regarded as one of the best records of the punk era. Its 19 tracks feature such classics as the title cut, "Clampdown," "Guns of Brixton," "Spanish Bombs," "Rudie Can't Fail," "Death or Glory" and the final hidden tune "Train in Vain."

Reuters/Billboard"

Great...looks like I'll have to buy this again (for the 3rd time!!!)
Old 06-26-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I'll be. Guess I'll have to buy it again.
Old 06-26-04, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm so there. I never bought the reissue, so this is only a double dip for me. It's a no-brainer to pick this one up - London Calling's probably my favorite album ever.
Old 06-26-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

************. I finally just bought the CD the other day (along with The Clash and Combat Rock).

Oh well. I guess I'll be buying London Calling again.
Old 06-26-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless I find it for a cheap price at my local used cd store, I think I will pass even though I am a huge Clash fan. Isn't it amazing how so many demos are suddenly being "found" since labels have begun the reissue/deluxe edition process?
Old 06-27-04, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
Yep, guess I'll buy it again. Not many groups I'd do this for
Old 06-27-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the first cd release and burned a copy of the remaster from a friend. I've almost bought it a few times and didn't quite do it. Now I'm really glad since I'll get this one.
Old 06-28-04, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts
I still have my original LP, and the first CD. I passed on the first remaster, but I will be getting this one!
Old 06-28-04, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a release date for this package? 'London Calling' is one of my all-time favorite albums, so I'll be picking this up on the day of release.

j.
Old 06-28-04, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: (yet another) London Calling re-release...

Originally posted by TheGregWitul
Is there a release date for this package? 'London Calling' is one of my all-time favorite albums, so I'll be picking this up on the day of release.

j.
Originally posted by Burnt Alive
"A disc of recently discovered demos for the Clash's "London Calling" and a DVD boasting previously unseen live performance footage will be included in Epic Records' Sept. 21 reissue of the English punk band's landmark 1979 album.
Old 06-29-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,425 Posts
I never got around to getting the first remaster, so I'm definitely getting this. The included DVD sounds nice too.
Old 06-30-04, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: (yet another) London Calling re-release...

Originally posted by Burnt Alive
"London Calling," the Clash's third album, has come to be regarded as one of the best records of the punk era."
Punk era? It is easily one of the best rock records EVER...

Can't wait...
Old 07-01-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
London Calling never really seemed that "punk" sounding. More post-punk or whatever turned into "alternative".