Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

how in the hell did Norah Jones sell 1.2 million copies of her new album in a week?!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

how in the hell did Norah Jones sell 1.2 million copies of her new album in a week?!

Old 02-20-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't like Norah Jones' music, but it IS rather refreshing when you compare it to the whiner greenday wannabe bands out there.

Oddly, even though I don't like Norah, I do like Dido.

She has a similar style from what little I've heard from both artists.
Old 02-20-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Originally posted by sararekuforever
No, believe me, I could write a music video that has an entire Norah Jones CD, and stock footage of rolling tumbleweed, a office style aquaium, and a man painting a house, and it would make sense.

Slight tangent, when you read that, did anyone else think "Oh, we've *all* been the scarecrow."

A virtual cookie to who gets that first.

And I've never considered Dido and Norah Jones similar. Both are softer styles of "pop", but I think Dido is more "needy", but not "A gun rack? I don't own a gun, much less *many* guns, thus necessitating a gun rack!" needy, if you catch my drift.

NJ is more distant, like someone looking back on a heartbreak, Dido seems more right in the middle of it.
Old 02-20-04, 02:46 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only 1 million? Her first CD sold over 18 million worldwide and is still charting.
Old 02-20-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"So I guess you consider Nsync to be REAL music with substance and soul?"

Why? Do you?

My point, which you most obviously passed by, is that people are getting sick of the Backstreet Boys, Christina, Britney, Band of The Week, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. Now they are HEARING music that has some REAL meaning and soul. She has great lyrics, a beautiful voice(WHO CARES WHAT SHE LOOKS LIKE!!), and actually SINGS rather than lip sync her tunes to the bank. I guess if you can't understand that then the message fell on deaf ears(pun intended)!!

C

"NJ is more distant, like someone looking back on a heartbreak, Dido seems more right in the middle of it."

WOW!! That was an awesome way to describe their unique styles. You should write for Rolling Stone or an actual mag that has REAL music reviews!!

Last edited by C_Fletch; 02-20-04 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-20-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MrE
Only 1 million? Her first CD sold over 18 million worldwide and is still charting.
Her first CD has only sold about 8 mil (which is still nothing to sneeze at), and it's impressive because it's the first big seller in a while and she's female.
Old 02-21-04, 11:46 AM
Banned

Originally posted by C_Fletch

My point, which you most obviously passed by, is that people are getting sick of the Backstreet Boys, Christina, Britney, Band of The Week, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. Now they are HEARING music that has some REAL meaning and soul. She has great lyrics, a beautiful voice(WHO CARES WHAT SHE LOOKS LIKE!!), and actually SINGS rather than lip sync her tunes to the bank. I guess if you can't understand that then the message fell on deaf ears(pun intended)!!
All of the boy bands and Britneys are doing just as good as ever, so I really doubt this has anything to do with it.

Norah Jones is still mass-marketed/spoon fed to the masses, so quit acting like she's some amazing talent that is taking the music world by storm. She is better than most of the crap out there, but that's not saying much. If her face wasn't all over the place, she'd still be some lounge/bar singer like most of the performers in her class with equal or greater talent. Not to mention that most of her songs are still pretty cheesy.

edit: and if you think these tunes she's singing are so great, and that she's a talented writer, think again. She doesn't write her music, some dude does, just like all the other crappy pop acts.

Last edited by CUBuffsMike41; 02-21-04 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-21-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts
Norah Jones is still mass-marketed/spoon fed to the masses, so quit acting like she's some amazing talent that is taking the music world by storm. She is better than most of the crap out there, but that's not saying much. If her face wasn't all over the place, she'd still be some lounge/bar singer like most of the performers in her class with equal or greater talent. Not to mention that most of her songs are still pretty cheesy.
Just because a label pushes an artist and promotes (or over-promotes) the artists - it doesn't mean he/she has little talent.

Remember the Beatles? They weren't the best musicians when the labels marketed the hell out of them. The same can be said for many big-name acts.

It's not like Norah Jones was created by Blue Note/Universal to shove down people's throats - having her dress in next to nothing with a very provacative video.

Her first CD was released without any fanfare. Her first song was released - it gradually caught on, and people started hearing her other songs. Blue Note/Universal just played it smart and saw that it had a buzz around it and decided to take advantage of the situation.

edit: and if you think these tunes she's singing are so great, and that she's a talented writer, think again. She doesn't write her music, some dude does, just like all the other crappy pop acts.
The same can be said for Frank Sinatra, Billie Holiday, Elvis Presley, Diana Krall etc.

And with NJ, it's not as bad as you seem to indicate. She wrote 2 songs on her first CD, and co-wrote a third - and on her new CD she wrote 1 song while co-writing 4 others.
And the music that isn't written by her at least isn't created by a committee at the label - her band members contribute (as well as her doing some cover songs).

She's not the greatest musician in the world, but she definitely has talent and sells lots of CDs without "selling out".

I'm looking forward to her next CD already.
Old 02-21-04, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by DJLinus
I'm a Jetta-driving, Caribou Coffee-drinker, thank you.
I drive a Nissan Altima and drink
Olde English; and i bought her album on day one...
Old 02-21-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no idea, to answer the question.
Old 02-22-04, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by CUBuffsMike41
All of the boy bands and Britneys are doing just as good as ever, so I really doubt this has anything to do with it.

Originally posted by Coral
Just because a label pushes an artist and promotes (or over-promotes) the artists - it doesn't mean he/she has little talent.

It's not like Norah Jones was created by Blue Note/Universal to shove down people's throats - having her dress in next to nothing with a very provacative video.

Her first CD was released without any fanfare. Her first song was released - it gradually caught on, and people started hearing her other songs. Blue Note/Universal just played it smart and saw that it had a buzz around it and decided to take advantage of the situation.
Actually, with the exception of Justin, the Boy Bands and Britneys aren't doing as well as they were. Hence, the rise in stunts to help generate "buzz" to lift their slumping album sales [Brit, in particular]. Actually, now that I think about it, are there ANY boy bands around anymore?

About being "mass marketed": As Coral pointed out, the masses came to her. What's amazing about her is the fact that she's succeeding in the Pop field as much as [or even more than] the Jazz field. And she's done it without the usual "Pop Marketing 101" tricks. No bling-bling. No revealing videos. No "remixes". She actually displays some class which many of today's Pop singers seem to be lacking. She relies on her talent, not on a media stunt to get people talking.
Originally posted by CUBuffsMike41
Not to mention that most of her songs are still pretty cheesy.

Originally posted by Coral
The same can be said for Frank Sinatra, Billie Holiday, Elvis Presley, Diana Krall etc.

And with NJ, it's not as bad as you seem to indicate. She wrote 2 songs on her first CD, and co-wrote a third - and on her new CD she wrote 1 song while co-writing 4 others.
And the music that isn't written by her at least isn't created by a committee at the label - her band members contribute (as well as her doing some cover songs).

She's not the greatest musician in the world, but she definitely has talent and sells lots of CDs without "selling out".

I'm looking forward to her next CD already.
Actually, allow me to be specific about this whole "song writing" thing.

On her new disc, there are six songs that Norah has a songwriting credit for. Out of the six, she co-wrote four, wrote one on her own and added lyrics to a Duke Ellington song. Five of the other songs that had no Norah input were written by her boyfriend and/or band members. And the remaining three were songs originally written by Tom Waits, Townes Van Zandt & Duke Ellington.
Old 02-22-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I recently read an article about NJ (in which she playfully accepts the "Snorah" moniker, even her mother calls her that). One of the items that stood out to me was when her label brought her a pop/dance remix of "Don't know why" It definitely would have made her more accessible to the masses, but she nixed it. And still sold over 8 mil of her first album.

And I agree with Rogue, are there any boy bands around?
Old 02-23-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"All of the boy bands and Britneys are doing just as good as ever, so I really doubt this has anything to do with it."

Where do you get this info? Everything I have read based on facts states that, for at least Britney, every CD since One More Time Baby has gone down hill and her newest CD is the worst of them yet(at least here initial sales figures indicate this).

"Norah Jones is still mass-marketed/spoon fed to the masses, so quit acting like she's some amazing talent that is taking the music world by storm. She is better than most of the crap out there, but that's not saying much. If her face wasn't all over the place, she'd still be some lounge/bar singer like most of the performers in her class with equal or greater talent. Not to mention that most of her songs are still pretty cheesy."

Now I get it. You're one of THOSE guys. The second something is mass marketed it's CRAP!! Yea right.......good try. Thanks Rogue588 for the rebuttle - couldn't have said it better myself.

CUBuffsMike41: As you can see here we like FACTS, rather than baseless statements just to sound well..........................uh you know.
Old 02-23-04, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by milo bloom
Her first CD has only sold about 8 mil (which is still nothing to sneeze at), and it's impressive because it's the first big seller in a while and she's female.
I've seen the 18M figure as well -- as an international total; the 8M is probably US-only.
Old 02-23-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well that's even better then. 18 mil, and not one Dr.Pepper commercial!
Old 02-23-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
might as well post this in here too...Norah's on Dave tonite..
Old 02-23-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by SAShepherd
I've seen the 18M figure as well -- as an international total; the 8M is probably US-only.
Originally posted by milo bloom
Well that's even better then. 18 mil, and not one Dr.Pepper commercial!
You're both wrong...according to Dave she sold 8 Billion copies.