Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Buying Beatles albums....

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 01-08-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about five or six Beatles albums that were all released around 1990, and I've been seriously thinking about buying the few that were remastered in 2001. My question is should I hold off on buying them in the hopes that they will re-release all their studio albums in the near future, or should I just go ahead and get the 2001 copies?
Old 01-08-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What did they remaster besides Yellow Submarine in 2000?
Old 01-09-04, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'm honestly confused as to what you're talking about.... which ones were remastered?
Old 01-09-04, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Hollowgen
i'm honestly confused as to what you're talking about.... which ones were remastered?
Yellow Submarine, Sgt. Pepper, and then the imports that were remastered in 2002: Hard Day's Night, Help!, Let It Be, Please Please Me, Rubber Soul, and Revolver.
Old 01-09-04, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
As far as I know, Yellow Submarine was the only original album to see a remastering job, set to coincide with the film's release on DVD. It's not even the original soundtrack album per se, but rather something Capitol calls a "songtrack" (which, I assume, means that the George Martin-composed instrumental tracks went bye-bye).

The singles present on the "Red" and "Blue" greatest hits albums also got cleaned up, as did the tracks on "1".

As far as the remastered imports you mentioned, that's sure news to me. The domestic releases sure could use a re-do, though. I'll bet no one could argue with you on that.
Old 01-09-04, 10:13 AM

Yellow Sub was the only remaster done. The rest have not been done. There is a rumour that they will be done this year starting with Pepper.
Old 01-09-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i am aware of some obscure imported "limited editions" such as the white album, which i own... but it's not remastered, it's just repackaged. i've looked everywhere and haven't seen remastered versions of their lps anywhere.
Old 01-09-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
They need to do hybrid CD/SACDs for the remasters. I'd pay a King's ransom for that set.
Old 01-09-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Hollowgen
i am aware of some obscure imported "limited editions" such as the white album, which i own... but it's not remastered, it's just repackaged. i've looked everywhere and haven't seen remastered versions of their lps anywhere.

Ohhh, OK. I had the idea that they were remastered.
Old 01-09-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Turd Ferguson
They need to do hybrid CD/SACDs for the remasters. I'd pay a King's ransom for that set.
Or DVD-A so I don't have to buy a new player.
Old 01-10-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I've heard that they will be fixing them up so everyone can buy the catalog again but I think it's 1-2 years away.
Old 01-12-04, 06:50 PM

Don't forget, the Yellow Sub Songtrack was not only remastered, but reMIXED. The difference is startling on some songs, like Elenor Rigby. Now that MFSL is back, they should remaster them all and release a hybrid SACD/CD Beatles Collection box set...

Last edited by Mr. Kite!; 01-12-04 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-12-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Spike Jonze
Yellow Submarine, Sgt. Pepper, and then the imports that were remastered in 2002: Hard Day's Night, Help!, Let It Be, Please Please Me, Rubber Soul, and Revolver.
I really don't think you're getting anything "different" than if you bought the domestic CD's. When the Beatles cataglogue was released on compact disc Capitol/EMI decided to release the UK versions as the definitive release. You might be getting a little nicer packaging and a some extra liner notes if you buy the import CD's but you're not getting anything different in terms of song selection.

I'm not sure how much better a remastered edition of A Hard Days Night, Help!, Rubber Soul, and Revolver would sound. I know A Hard Days Night was originally issued in Mono in the UK as opposed to the two channel stereo that was issued in the United States.
Old 01-12-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
we might not get that extreme stereo like on the early beatles albums. And hdn is mono.