Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

KURT COBAIN: "Montage of Heck: Documentary

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-11-15, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts

A new trailer for the first-ever authorized documentary about Kurt Cobain, HBO's Montage of Heck, written, directed and produced by Brett Morgen has surfaced online.

The film, which The Hollywood Reporter's Boyd van Hoeij described as "something akin to a stream-of-consciousness autobiography," draws on thousands of pages of diaries, notes, sketches and a lot of previously unseen home-video footage.

Morgen had unprecedented access to the Cobain family's personal archives and even animates Cobain's drawings to recreate scenes from his life, accompanied by orchestral versions of some of Nirvana's biggest hits.

The film made by HBO Documentary Films, Universal Pictures International and Public Road Productions premiered at Sundance.

Watch the full trailer below:
<iframe width="624" height="351" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" allowtransparency="true" src="https://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/video/cobain-montage-heck-exclusive-first-141620939.html?format=embed&player_autoplay=false"></iframe>

full article http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...railer-nirvana

I wanna see this!
Old 03-11-15, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: KURT COBAIN: "Montage of Heck: Documentary

'Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck' Soundtrack to Feature Unreleased Track

The upcoming soundtrack for the documentary Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck will not only offer insights into the late Nirvana frontman's life, but its soundtrack will also feature an unreleased track from Cobain.

The film's director, Brett Morgen, shared the news on Twitter. "Listening to a mind blowing 12 minute acoustic Cobain unheard track that will be heard on the montage of heck soundtrack," he wrote on social media. It was originally reported by Loudwire.

full article http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...released-track
Old 03-11-15, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

I'll probably watch it but I'm pretty much over my Nirvana phase. I think they were decent and Cobain was a somewhat interesting guy and a tragic figure but I feel like I know the gist of his story. The stuff about his life pre-Nirvana could be interesting though. The animated segments in the trailer look sort of odd.
Old 03-11-15, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,645 Likes on 1,831 Posts

Sounds sort of like that Joe Strummer thing, "The Future is Unwritten."

TBH, I'm not really a fan of these things, where they're digging through a dead guy's diaries and journals. Just seems really fucking creepy. I remember thumbing through a book reprinting Cobain's old notebooks and shit in a bookstore and felt kind of disgusted by it, publishing his private thoughts and diaries in a book to make a few bucks just seems like a really shitty thing to do.
Old 03-12-15, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 962 Likes on 590 Posts

Cool. I'm in.
Old 03-12-15, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though I was in my very early 20s when he died, I feel like I was too busy with college stuff to really keep track of what was going on outside of the music. It'll be neat to relive that period again because I honestly don't remember a whole lot of it. I still think they are the most important band of the 1990-1994 period, so it's nice to finally to see them get a documentary that's not the "Courtney and Kurt=Sid and Nancy" or "Courtney Killed Kurt" exploitative variety.
Old 05-01-15, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kurt Cobain Album Coming This Summer, Says 'Montage of Heck' Director

Unexpected news isn't usually this welcome: It looks like we'll be getting an album of unreleased Kurt Cobain home recordings this summer.

Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck director let the big news out during an interview with Bedford + Bowery. When they asked him if he uncovered any unreleased gems from the Nirvana frontman while combing through 200 hours of audio, Brett Morgen revealed there's an official release on the way.

"We’re going to be putting out an amazing album this summer that I think will answer that question," Morgen said. "It will feel like you’re kind of hanging out with Kurt Cobain on a hot summer day in Olympia, Washington as he fiddles about. It’s going to really surprise people. Just to be clear, it’s not a Nirvana album -- it’s just Kurt and you’re going to hear him do things you never expected to come out of him."

Back in 2013, Hole guitarist Eric Erlandson told Fuse that before Cobain committed suicide he was working on a "a solo album" that "would have been his White Album." At the time, Erlandson revealed there was an unreleased cover of a well-known song from a band Cobain loved sitting somewhere. Erlandson wouldn't name the tune at the time, but chances are he was nodding to Kurt's cover of the Beatles' "And I Love Her" that pops up in Montage of Heck.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...ontage-of-heck
Old 05-01-15, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

After watching this. I'm really, really surprised he lived past 20.
Dude was a mess mentally and the drugs made it worse. It made me sick to watch some of those home videos. Especially the ones with Courtney.
Old 05-02-15, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
After watching this. I'm really, really surprised he lived past 20.
Dude was a mess mentally and the drugs made it worse. It made me sick to watch some of those home videos. Especially the ones with Courtney.
I agree. It was just weird and I'm pretty sure I'll never watch it again. I was (and still am) a Nirvana fan and was looking forward to seeing this but the last half hour was like watching a white trash couple's home movies.
Old 05-07-15, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kurt Cobain Album Details Revealed in New Brett Morgen Interview: Exclusive Preview

Montage of Heck director Brett Morgen recently revealed an album of unreleased Kurt Cobain material is coming this summer. And in an upcoming interview with KCRW's The Business (posting in full on Friday, May 8), Morgen dished even more details to host Kim Masters; Billboard presents an exclusive early window into that talk.

Masters questioned Morgen about his motivation in assembling the compilation, which was culled from 200 hours of recordings over 108 cassettes.

"I went into the archives -- this could be too strong a word -- I liberated a lot of material for the film," Morgen says. "The primary motivation at that moment was for [daughter] Frances [Bean Cobain]. I finished the film and there was all this other music. No one asked me to do anything. I just started cutting the thing together and telling the estate they should put this out. Initially, I thought it would be a nice complement to the film… I don't have any financial stake in the album."

Masters prodded him on the collaborative framework of the project: "Is this your record, Courtney [Love]'s record, or Universal Music's record? Who has the rights to the record?"

"I assembled it and passed it over to the various other people," Morgen maintained, declining to expand on the process beyond that.

We do know that the forthcoming album will feature material Cobain never brought to Nirvana; Morgen calls it "cinematic" and says it will feature some spoken word segments.

full article
http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...ontage-of-heck
Old 05-11-15, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In an early announcement to retailers, Universal is preparing 'Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck' for Blu-ray on November

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...r-bluray/22870
Old 05-13-15, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the documentary itself was sort of just so-so. I am interested in the soundtrack with the unreleased Cobain tracks though. I wonder when it actually is supposed to hit. I see it's slated for a summer release but nothing solid yet that I've found.
Old 06-17-15, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Courtney Love Doesn't Want You to See the Latest Kurt Cobain Documentary

This year's Kurt Cobain doc Montage of Heck was released with the approval of the late Nirvana frontman's family, as Courtney Love helped director Brett Morgen assemble the film from Kurt's private home videos. The Nirvana nostalgia train rolls on, though, and the latest Cobain-based film isn't getting the Love blessing. In fact, Cobain's widow is trying to stop anyone from seeing it.

On June 11, Love's legal team issued a cease and desist letter to theaters planning to show Soaked in Bleach, a new doc from Benjamin Statler that re-examines the old theory that Love might've had a hand in Cobain's death, which was ruled a suicide in 1994.

The letter (https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress...redacted-2.pdf) isn't even directed at the filmmakers; it's addressed to an unnamed theater, threatening legal action under grounds of defamation if it chooses to show Soaked in Bleach.

"This letter shall serve as notice to (name withheld) that the Film portrays Ms. Cobain in a false light and contains defamatory statements that exposes (name withheld) to substantial liability," the letter reads. "We demand that you immediately cease and desist from infringing on Ms. Cobain's rights in any manner whatsoever, including but not limited to completely halting the Film's planned exhibition and promotion."

Love's legal rep stated that since Cobain's death was ruled a suicide and no plausible evidence has been presented to the contrary, the film distributors can be held liable if they "knew or had reason to know that the material was defamatory."

The letter threatens to take action against all involved in the "production, promotion, distribution, or exhibition" of the film it wasn't withdrawn within five days of the letter. June 16 has come and gone, and the film has not backed down. In fact, its official Facebook page made a promotional post yesterday (June 16), calling it "the movie they don't want you to see."

The film's producers responded to Love's statement via Deadline, saying, "Courtney Love and her lawyers clearly don't like that the film presents a compelling case for re-opening the investigation into Kurt's death. They should respect the First Amendment and let people decide for themselves."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...cumentary-film
Old 06-17-15, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm actually much more interested in seeing Soaked in Bleach than I was about Montage of Heck. Especially given that Courtney doesn't want people seeing it. I never really bought into the Kurt was murdered theory, but it sounds like this documentary makes a pretty interesting case. I'll probably rent it tonight or this weekend.
Old 06-17-15, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I made the thread of Soaked in Bleach in the movie forum. It's a real thinker. Much better than Montage of Heck which to me, clouded my judgement of Cobain since it seemed to paint him in a way most thought about him, crazy and so closed in that suicide wasn't a surprise. I would say Montage of Heck was an anti-Cobain documentary. In reality, it was Courtney who was the poison of the entire relationship.
Old 06-17-15, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I dunno. I thought that Montage of Heck painted a bad picture of Cobain in a lot of ways. I also walked away from it feeling a bit more bad for him because it seemed like those around him continually fucked up his life. Granted that doesn't excuse his later use of drugs and whatnot and possible suicide, but I definitely think that his upbringing and relationship with Courtney didn't help him at all.
Old 07-20-15, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UK Blu-ray review
Still no word whether the US release will have the same extras or not.
Old 07-20-15, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah I dunno. I thought that Montage of Heck painted a bad picture of Cobain in a lot of ways.
This and the fact that Courtney supported it SO much makes me thinks the reason she doesn't want anyone seeing Soaked in Bleach is because it tells the truth and not the smear campaign she is promoting.
Old 07-20-15, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah looking back at this documentary I really don't like it at all. It basically wants to paint the picture that Kurt was fucked up and was bound to either commit suicide or die early somehow. It mostly focuses on the more negative aspects of his life rather than finding much of anything positive to say about him. Watching both this and Soaked in Bleach it does seem like Courtney wanted this film to be the defining story of him and wanted to put to rest any doubt in people's minds about his death, whereas Soaked in Bleach brings up a lot more things about his death that don't add up and definitely makes you question what happened or if there's more to his death than we know (which I think there is).
Old 07-20-15, 07:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This doc sucked.
Old 07-20-15, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder how many watched this and felt ... 'meh, I knew all of this' and then watching Soaked in Bleach and thinking 'holy shit!'
I know I did. I only knew of what the media and Courtney put out there in all the years. It wasn't often you saw a happy Kurt or Kurt just talking like a normal guy saying he's all good and there's nothing wrong. It seems to me, that while he was a drug user, it wasn't until Courtney that he became a drug abuser.
The way I see it now is he had the wrong people in his life and I wish I knew whether or not Krist or Dave tried to get their friend away from it.

It was almost as if everyone knew the train was going to crash, only they just sat on that train until it did, taking in the ride that was going on and what it's payoff were.
Old 07-21-15, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Soaked in Bleach, where can we watch this? Was it ever on TV?
Old 07-21-15, 08:00 AM

Received 4,474 Likes on 3,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Soaked in Bleach, where can we watch this? Was it ever on TV?
https://vimeo.com/ondemand/soakedinbleach/127608901
Old 07-30-15, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

New Kurt Cobain Song Added to 'Montage Of Heck' Theatrical Release:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...ontage-of-heck
Old 07-30-15, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kurt Cobain's Family Wants Death-Scene Photos Kept Sealed

Kurt Cobain's widow and daughter are urging a Seattle judge not to release death-scene photos and records that a lawsuit claims will prove the Nirvana frontman was murdered more than 20 years ago.

Superior Court Judge Theresa Doyle is set to hear arguments Friday over whether to proceed with a trial after Richard Lee, who runs a Seattle public access TV show, sued the city and the Seattle Police Department for the material he says will show Cobain didn't die of a self-inflicted gunshot wound in 1994, The Seattle Times reported.

The city is arguing that the material should stay sealed for the sake of the family's privacy. Cobain's widow, rocker and actress Courtney Love, and their daughter have written to the court about the physical and psychological impact that the release of the graphic photos would have on their lives.

"I have had to cope with many personal issues because of my father's death. Coping with even the possibility that those photographs could be made public is very difficult," Frances Bean Cobain wrote. "Further sensationalizing it through the release of these pictures would cause us indescribable pain."

She wrote that she already faces harassment from fans "obsessed" with her father and fears that could get worse.

One fan broke into her California home and waited three days for her to return from vacation because he "believed my father's soul had entered my body," Frances Bean Cobain wrote in her declaration.

According to their statements, neither woman has seen the photos of Cobain's body.

In 1995, Love got court permission to keep Cobain's suicide note, and another note used for handwriting analysis, out of the public eye.

Seattle police did release two previously unseen images from suicide scene last year. One showed a box containing drug paraphernalia, a spoon and what look like needles on the floor next to half a cigarette and sunglasses. The other showed the paraphernalia box closed, next to cash, a cigarette pack and a wallet that appeared to show Cobain's identification.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...-photos-sealed

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.