Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Tori Amost Hits album reviews?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 11-19-03, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

I am still on the fence on picking this up. I have all her studio albums and, thus, have the bulk of the tunes on this disc. However, I have been told and read elsewhere that the songs have been reworked, touched up and remixed. Is this the case and, if so, is the change enough to merit the purchase?
Old 11-19-03, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love it, it's getting all my time, pushing out new Pearl Jam, STP, Sheryl Crow, and anything else.

You'll have mixed opinions of the re-worked stuff. Some if it seems like the changes are minimal, some seems quite different.

I don't really like messing with songs, I prefer the originals, but I just look at it as having two versions of some of her songs.

The new songs are very good and the stuff from previous import releases like Mary and Sweet Dreams are terrific.

If you are a fan, you won't be disappointed and you get the bonus DVD.

There are so many other great songs left off, I hope that we'll get tales from a gym teacher sometime next year.

I got in on sale for $7.99, but I would have paid full price for it.
Old 11-20-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Any more info on this?

..and thanks dolphinboy.
Old 11-20-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by ViewAskewbian
Any more info on this?

..and thanks dolphinboy.

You'd get 2 pages of reviews if you asked about Jessica Simpson.
Old 11-20-03, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dolphinboy
You'd get 2 pages of reviews if you asked about Jessica Simpson.
*sigh* Indeed. What a world...what a world.
Old 11-21-03, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
I can give you a few comments. I own pretty much everything she has put out officially (incl singles/b-sides) and I still bought this. If you are a casual Tori fan, you probably won't recognize the differences in 90% of the songs. However, even in those 90%, the songs sound crisper than previously released. If you are a big Tori fan then you will recognize the differences instantly in all the songs. Most are for the better. This isn't like the debacle that was Strange Little Girls.

Also, the two new tracks are very well done, IMHO.

SPY
Old 11-23-03, 04:59 AM

I watched the AOL sessions and she said that the songs have been reworked with 2003 technology, but not 2003 instruments. She says she mixed the vocals to bring them up a bit, that sort of thing. I see there is a limited edition cd with a 5-track R1 DVD, I'm getting that one.
Old 11-24-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm still listening. I haven't had time to digest the album or DVD yet. By the end of this weekend, I'll have a better feel.

I'm a completist, so I had to have the album.

For the record, I loved Strange Little Girls.
Old 11-25-03, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Picked it up..

I'm on the fence - I love some of the reworked touches, namely on 'God' , 'Tear in your Hand' and 'Jackie's Strenght, then there is some songs where the reworking and added instruments does not work, such as 'Bliss' and 'Winter'. On the plus side, it does come with two previously unreleased songs, 'Angel' and 'Snow Cherries in France' - the latter which is the best.

Haven't had chance to watch the DVD yet.
Old 11-26-03, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing I noticed on Winter (my favorite Tori Song) was the tom-tom sounding drum was brought up a bit, but it's always been there... I miss something else?? It has been awhile since I heard the "original" but it sounded the same to me other than what I mentioned above.

The only things I've really noticed changes in is Cornflake Girl, God, and Way Down, but then again, I really didn't listen to much after Boys For Pele, so I could be missing some changes on the newer stuff. I really wasn't into Choirgirl Hotel and beyond all that much.
Old 12-08-03, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, after waiting (and waiting, and waiting....), I FINALLY received my Tales of a Librarian CD/DVD combo.

And I love it!

Yes, I have all of Tori's album. But Tori has DEFINITELY tweaked the songs on this greatest hits. Sometimes the difference is barely noticeable. But certain songs sound really quite different, and - dare I say it - BETTER. I much, much prefer the new "Bliss" than the one on To Venus and Back. And older songs like "Precious Things" and "Silent All These Girls" sound mucher fresher. It's all the small little changes, but it is perceptible, and I find the songs song much more sparklingly new than before.

Also, I really do enjoy the bonus DVD - especially "Putting the Damage On" and "Mr. Zebra" sans vocals.

Wonderful compilation - almost like a brand new album.