Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Panic at the Disco - Pretty. Odd. Explicit?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-25-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to drop by Wal-Mart this afternoon to pick up the new PATD CD, I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't explicit so I'm not picking up the clean version at Wal-Mart.

I've listened to a stream of the CD online and really liked it, please flame on .
Old 03-25-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
As far as I can see, it is not stickered.
Old 03-25-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've listened to it, and I don't remember any swear words.

= J
Old 03-25-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good deal, thanks guys. I wasn't paying terrible attention when I was streaming it, just kinda background music, but still enjoyable. I know there were some expletives on the first album, just wanted to check.
Old 03-25-08, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, fueled by Ramen (or what ever label they're on) are an indie, and don't sticker albums anyways (you could argue that the firs patd album kind of deserved it.
Old 03-25-08, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Also, fueled by Ramen (or what ever label they're on) are an indie, and don't sticker albums anyways (you could argue that the firs patd album kind of deserved it.
I thought the first one would have, but don't remember if it did or not. I always forget about the indie rule, I think I started the same thread about the last Motion City Soundtrack CD when it came out.
Old 03-25-08, 05:39 PM

anyone like this c.d. I D/L it last week and thought that it was just o.k. Nine in the afternoon is the fastest/most rokin song on the cd. Everything else was slow and beatleish. It's totally opposite than there first cd.
Old 03-25-08, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it is totally opposite then their first CD then I'll wait to find it used.
Old 03-25-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I listened to it today, and wasn't overly stricken with it. Was really surprised at whole overall mellow it was.

I wonder what their fan base is going to think of it? I can't imagine a lot of the kids who bought the first album being very into this one. There's almost nothing of the sound of the first album to be found here.

That's not saying it's bad - just very different.
Old 03-25-08, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

im not a fan, just an observer, but it seems to me that touring with the Dresden Dolls had a huge influence on how this band is now.
Old 03-26-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Listened to it twice now and I'm not really feeling it. This really seems like 4 kids begging the music world to take them seriously. Bottom line, this album just isn't as fun as the first album. It really makes me wonder what the album they scrapped sounded like.

Last edited by FatTony; 03-26-08 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-26-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a HUGE fan of their first album. Compared to that, this is pure garbage. You might like this album if you hated the first one but if you liked it, this one is NOTHING like it. I've heard bands change their sound before, but this is a totally different band with a totally different sound. I hate it.
Old 03-31-08, 12:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is it just me or the album version of 9 in the afternoon is different than the one from the video/radio?

I swear i hear more guitar in the album version....
Old 03-31-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I take back what I said. After a few more listens, the CD is growing on me. While the band is COMPLETELY different, the cd isn't so bad. Still nowhere near as good as the first cd but it's not bad.
Old 03-31-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts
Originally Posted by firteen88
I'm a HUGE fan of their first album. Compared to that, this is pure garbage. You might like this album if you hated the first one but if you liked it, this one is NOTHING like it. I've heard bands change their sound before, but this is a totally different band with a totally different sound. I hate it.
That's funny - a friend of mine made me a copy of the new album, and while I don't love it or anything, I found it listenable, and a massive improvement over their previous material, which I found utterly unlistenable.
Old 03-31-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's funny - a friend of mine made me a copy of the new album, and while I don't love it or anything, I found it listenable, and a massive improvement over their previous material, which I found utterly unlistenable.
I took back what I said in the post above yours. The CD is def listenable and I even think it's pretty good. With that said, I LOVED the first CD and was hoping for something similar to that.
Old 03-31-08, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jonno2006
Is it just me or the album version of 9 in the afternoon is different than the one from the video/radio?

I swear i hear more guitar in the album version....
Cmon, please someone tell me i ain't crazy! :P
Old 03-31-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some of the comments here have really cracked me up. I'll admit that I haven't listened to their first album because on paper it sounds like something I'd be wasting my time with. After reading about how their new album was recorded and some of their influences, I decided to give it a try. Not bad. How the fuck are the Beatles or Blur as an influence a bad thing? God, kids today. Listen, I like balls to the wall punk snot fury, but there is nothing wrong with a band mixing it up and growing.

Kudos to these tots.
Old 04-01-08, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by FatTony
It really makes me wonder what the album they scrapped sounded like.
Huh. That's the first I'd heard that they was a different direction prior to this one in the works. All I can recall that I ever heard about their new songs was Pete Wentz saying he'd heard some new stuff, and that it sounded "retarded," as in really really good.

Also for those saying this is a whole different band, well...they did say on We're So Starving that they're "still the same band."
Old 04-01-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jonno2006
Cmon, please someone tell me i ain't crazy! :P
Nope, not crazy. I downloaded Nine in the Afternoon off of Amazon a month or two ago, and the album version does sound like there's an extra guitar riff or two in there, mainly during the chorus.
Old 04-02-08, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by BravesMG
Nope, not crazy. I downloaded Nine in the Afternoon off of Amazon a month or two ago, and the album version does sound like there's an extra guitar riff or two in there, mainly during the chorus.
YES! Thank god i'm not crazy! :P
Old 04-02-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by prp2
Huh. That's the first I'd heard that they was a different direction prior to this one in the works. All I can recall that I ever heard about their new songs was Pete Wentz saying he'd heard some new stuff, and that it sounded "retarded," as in really really good.
They had almost an entire album completed. They scrapped it last July because the songs felt forced, and that they were actively trying to be a different band since they'd been playing the same ~12 songs every night for 2 years straight.

The irony of course is that this album still feels like they're trying to be a different band.
Old 04-02-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by FatTony
The irony of course is that this album still feels like they're trying to be a different band.
How many bands have changed over their careers? Check out each of Talk Talk's recordings in the 80's and you'll see some drastic changes with each album going in a positive direction. Like I said before, I've never heard anything from this band's first album so they don't sound like a band trying to change to me.
Old 04-02-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
How many bands have changed over their careers? Check out each of Talk Talk's recordings in the 80's and you'll see some drastic changes with each album going in a positive direction. Like I said before, I've never heard anything from this band's first album so they don't sound like a band trying to change to me.
I'm not knocking them for trying something different. But it's so different that it feels like a completely different band altogether. I just thought it was funny that they scrapped their original attempt because it was too different, and then proceeded to release this album.
Old 04-02-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm curious to see how much of their original fan base they're going to lose because of this album. I'm sure it will be a large amount. I would assume most of their fan base are kids in their teens to mid twenties who don't want to listen to this new sound. I'm sure they will gain an entirely different fanbase BUT I don't think this CD is good enough for that new fanbase to grow very large.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.