Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Where to find Willie Nelson's Red Headed Stranger on Austin City Limits?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

In one of the early Austin City Limits shows, possibly the premier, Willie Nelson performed his historic album, Red Headed Stranger in its entirety. Does anyone know where I can find a copy of this, eBay or otherwise? Or do you know if it will be airing on, like, CMT or PBS, any time soon?

Thanks!
Old 10-31-03, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im sorry I cant help you with this but Id like to thank you for informing me about this program.
I too would love to have a copy of this.
The best thing to do would be to check Ebay for a bootleg because I do know for a fact that this has never been commercially released.
GOOD LUCK !
Old 10-31-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never, ever been a fan of country, but I tell you folks what, Willie live is an experience not to be forgotten. Get the old shows on video if you can, and definitely check him out if he ever plays in your neck of the woods again. I'm not sure if he even does play anymore, the guy's gettin' ollllddd, but it'd be worth it if he did.

And shaun, I'd definitely contact PBS.
Old 10-31-03, 02:41 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
I'm not sure if he even does play anymore, the guy's gettin' ollllddd, but it'd be worth it if he did.
He definitely still plays. Saw him at Farm Aid 2001. He's 70.
Old 10-31-03, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome. While I think it's best to see him in a smaller venue, how was the show?
Old 11-01-03, 01:43 AM

I saw Willie at Billy Bob's in Ft. Worth, TX a few weeks ago. Definitely not a small venue (that place is like its own city), but it was still amazing. Plus, tickets were only $15 bucks or so. If you get a chance, go see him. Never know when his last show might be.
Old 08-13-17, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Where to find Willie Nelson's Red Headed Stranger on Austin City Limits?

Well here’s a blast from the past. I occasionally get on a Willie kick. I still haven’t found this performance after all these years, but I did manage to find this thread I started 14 years ago! Apparently it was from a 1982 episode, part of the seventh season. The only video I can find is this clip of Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain:

For grins, here is a YouTube playlist of the Austin City Limits 1974 pilot episode, a year prior to Red Headed Stranger. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zQLLIUBgTxRmDu

Finally, a quote:

Originally Posted by Mutley Hyde
I’m not sure if he even does play anymore, the guy's gettin' ollllddd, but it'd be worth it if he did.
Mutley Hyde, here’s a video he released just a few months ago. Couldn’t be more perfect!
Old 09-06-22, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Where to find Willie Nelson's Red Headed Stranger on Austin City Limits?

Originally Posted by shaun3000
In one of the early Austin City Limits shows, possibly the premier, Willie Nelson performed his historic album, Red Headed Stranger in its entirety. Does anyone know where I can find a copy of this, eBay or otherwise? Or do you know if it will be airing on, like, CMT or PBS, any time soon?

Thanks!
The future really is amazing. Here’s the whole thing, in better-than-broadcast quality, on Apple Music. https://music.apple.com/us/album/red...976/1510847296