Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD-A and SACD - tech questions + review / shopping sites

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

DVD-A and SACD - tech questions + review / shopping sites

Old 10-22-03, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DTS with DVD-Audio?

Well, I bought my first DVD-Audio title. Like many I think there's certainly more of a future in SACD (especially hybrid-titles). But I broke down and bought America's Homecoming--a personal favorite of mine that I'm afraid might go out of print.

The packaging says it comes with DTS but I can't figure out how you get DTS sound out with a regular DVD Video player. My system is fully capable of playing DTS Video titles (Hell Freezes Over is one of my favorites) but I can't figure this riddle out. Incorrect labelling on this release? DTS only available with a DVD audio player?---Then wouldn't I just listen DVD audio and not the DTS?

Any help would be appreciated.

TIM
Old 10-22-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DTS with DVD-Audio?

Originally posted by dotheDVDeed
Well, I bought my first DVD-Audio title. Like many I think there's certainly more of a future in SACD (especially hybrid-titles). But I broke down and bought America's Homecoming--a personal favorite of mine that I'm afraid might go out of print.

The packaging says it comes with DTS but I can't figure out how you get DTS sound out with a regular DVD Video player. My system is fully capable of playing DTS Video titles (Hell Freezes Over is one of my favorites) but I can't figure this riddle out. Incorrect labelling on this release? DTS only available with a DVD audio player?---Then wouldn't I just listen DVD audio and not the DTS?

Any help would be appreciated.

TIM

The linked review on this disc unfortunately contains this statement:
You should note that the reference to a DTS soundtrack on the packaging is erroneous - there is no such soundtrack on the disc.

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews...?ReviewID=1856
Old 10-23-03, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the reply

Well, I'm glad I'm not losing my mind..... yet...

Now where do I get that half-hour of my life that I spent mucking around trying to find the non-existent DTS soundtrack? ;-)

Thanks again for going out of your way and finding that link.

That Pioneer multi-format player is calling to me... maybe a present to myself for Xmas!

TIM
Old 10-23-03, 09:32 PM

Remember, dvd-a hybrids will be coming out shortly, in the next month or two. I have the Pioneer player, so I consider myself fairly unbiased in the dvd-a vs sacd war. For me it's more about listening to good music and both formats have their fair share. I don't think either format is clearly doing better than the other. Sacd has the hybrid capability (dvd-a will soon be hybrid) and dvd-a has video playback capability so they both have plusses and minuses. Back to the topic: For under $200 go get the Pioneer, it's the best way to get introduced to both formats without spending much money.
Old 10-24-03, 12:40 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Best place to buy sacds and dvd audio?

I just got a sacd/dvd audio player and I am looking for some music. Best buy had some but are there any online stores that have large selections of sacd and dvd audio.
Old 10-24-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dvdempire.com for DVD-Audio
Old 10-24-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
amusicdirect.com

dvd-a
http://amusicdirect.com/products/sws...tegory&srch=70

sacd
http://amusicdirect.com/products/sws...tegory&srch=30
Old 10-24-03, 05:47 PM

circuitcity.com has decent selection and price on both formats with free shipping.
Old 10-25-03, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,060 Likes on 642 Posts
Best prices I have seen for DVD-A are at digitaleyes.net and deepdiscountdvd.com. DDD has just recently started carrying DVD-A.
Old 11-25-03, 10:40 PM

SACD & DVD-Audio Player???

I can't seem to find any dvd players that play both SACD and DVD-Audio. Does anyone know of any models that do???

Thanks

Kyle
Old 11-25-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Here's the cheapest one on the market. A lot of folks say it's a great unit. I may pick one up for Christmas.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....9&type=product
Old 11-25-03, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yep, I have the non SACD version of this from last year. It's a great player, and DVD audio sounds great on it. I'm going to be getting this one with some Xmas money hopefully to replace mine so I can listen to my Dark side of the moon disc.
Old 11-26-03, 08:42 AM

Thanks a lot!!!

Kyle
Old 11-26-03, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If price is your concern, the Pioneer unit that cungar linked to is your best bet. Other universal players are rather $$$: Denon, for instance, offers the DVD-2200 for around $600 and the DVD-2900 for about $900. I have the 2900 and am very pleased with it
Old 11-26-03, 08:51 AM

I have the Pioneer DV-563A that cungar's link takes you to. I love it! It's the best piece of equipment I've bought in years. Has a great picture and sound. It's progressive scan, if you have an HD ready tv. You ONLY get sacd and dvd-a multi channel surround, by using the analog outputs on the back of it. So, your receiver has to have the analog inputs. The sacd and dvd-a Hi Rez music does NOT work thru the digital outputs..........
Get it, and you won't be sorry.
Old 11-26-03, 08:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
word is that 2004 multi-format DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-audio players will have single digital output for all sound to get routed through receivers.
Old 11-30-03, 05:33 PM

I also bought one of the Pioneer DV-563A player. It does a great job with every type of dics I've put in it. I do need a receiver with at least a 6 channel analog input to play DVD-A or SACD discs.
As for DVD-A or SACD connecting with one cable, it will more likely be something like a 1394 Fire Wire cable rather than one of the existing digital cables (optical or coax) we know now. The decoders will stay locked up in the players as the record companies fear copying so much.
Greg
Old 12-01-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by gdjohnson
I also bought one of the Pioneer DV-563A player. It does a great job with every type of dics I've put in it. I do need a receiver with at least a 6 channel analog input to play DVD-A or SACD discs. Greg
Now wait I'm confused here (a common problem). I thought the only true digital input was the optical cable. With the 6 channel analog cables are you losing anything sound wise or is the only advantage of the optical cable, the fact that it's a single cable that divides up the channels optically?

Actually the 6 cables is better for me since both my optical inputs are used.
Old 12-01-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cungar
I thought the only true digital input was the optical cable. With the 6 channel analog cables are you losing anything sound wise or is the only advantage of the optical cable, the fact that it's a single cable that divides up the channels optically?
There's usually 2 possible digital connections: optical and coaxial. The optical/coax connections feed a digital bitstream to your receiver, which then handles the digital -> analog conversion and bass management for sound output.

For multi-format players, the DAC is handled in the player, and I suppose it depends on the quality of the DAC components as to whether any signal is lost (bass mgmt for SACD/DVD-A is also handled by the player). Perhaps someone who is more knowledgeable about the hardware could go into greater detail
Old 12-02-03, 11:06 PM

The difference between the analog and digital outputs are that when you use the analog outputs, the DVD player is decoding the signal and sending each channel to the pre-amp seperately. The Coax or optical out sends the digital signal to the receiver, which then decodes the signal. All sound is analog by the time it hits your speaker, its all a matter of when it gets decoded. Usually when listening to music its better to use analog cables, but the overall quality depends on what kind of analog (RCA) cables you can afford. My expereince is that if You use very high quality analog cables the sound will be much better than the digital feed. I have the Denon DVD-2900, which is a pretty heavy duty player so that may have something to do with it
Old 12-03-03, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by parky
The difference between the analog and digital outputs are that when you use the analog outputs, the DVD player is decoding the signal and sending each channel to the pre-amp seperately. The Coax or optical out sends the digital signal to the receiver, which then decodes the signal. All sound is analog by the time it hits your speaker, its all a matter of when it gets decoded. Usually when listening to music its better to use analog cables, but the overall quality depends on what kind of analog (RCA) cables you can afford. My expereince is that if You use very high quality analog cables the sound will be much better than the digital feed. I have the Denon DVD-2900, which is a pretty heavy duty player so that may have something to do with it
Parky, the quality of the sound is not going to depend on the type of cables you use, but the quality of the digitial to analogue converter. Typically the receiver will have the better d/a converter, but not always.

Is there any SACD that passes the signal back on the digitial output?
Old 12-03-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can vouch for the Pioneer 563A as an excellent all-around player, you won't be disappointed.
Old 12-06-03, 12:13 AM

Yes there are SACD/DVD-A players that has a single cable connection. The Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai & DV59AVi players use a connect called the "i"link that only comes with a Pioneer Elite Receiver like the VSX-49TXi. The "i" link is really a 1394 firewire cable.
On a DV59AVi there is a device (Dimensional Resolultion Expander) that takes standard definition images and up converts them to 720p or 1080i. This isn't true HD but it's heading there. The down side is that you need a Pioneer Elite HDTV with another special connection type (HDMI which I think is a new name for a DVI), are you starting the see a pattern here.
Greg
Old 12-07-03, 06:54 PM

I picked up one of the pioneer's today since best buy have them on sale this week and I had one of the 20% coupons. I am very pleased with it so far. I picked up the SACD of the darkside of the moon, and I had the DVD-A Flaming Lips Yoshimi vs. the pink robots. Can anyone else recommend a few disks that really explore the potential of this player.
Thanks,
Sirgey
Old 12-08-03, 08:18 PM

So would you guys recommend getting the Pioneer some time over the next few weeks, or waiting for the digital output hybrid models? Are there any supposed to come out around Christmas?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.