Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Not the most disappointing album of 2003 . . . thus far [parallel thread]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Not the most disappointing album of 2003 . . . thus far [parallel thread]

Old 06-15-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm so glad i like the metallica album. I'm not sure what everyone is so upset about. I've heard things from terrible lyrics to a bad mix. I think people need to listen to it for what it is and not for what they were expecting.

Just my $.02
Old 06-15-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So far, I've been happy with the CDs I've bought this year (Mary Star of the Sea, American Life, St. Anger and Hail To the Thief).
Old 06-15-03, 02:27 PM
Mod Emeritus

For those with short memories, the thread title is at the top. Please remember it while composing your post and don't be tempted to turn this into another thread entirely.

Thank you.

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk

Last edited by benedict; 06-15-03 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-16-03, 11:51 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by JestersTear
The problem is that James' voice is totally shot.
Naa I dont agree with that. I think the reason his voice sounds like this is because they did zero production on it. This is the way he has always sounded live thru these years. We are just used to the "studio" sounding James.
Old 06-17-03, 12:37 AM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
OK, I agree that Metallica's latest isn't the most disappointing CD of the year. I even started the original "most disappointing album of the year" thread by nominating Massive Attack before it being hijacked into a Metallica-bash-a-thon.

I would say it's not the most disappointing by the fact, that I did not have high expectations for it in the first place. After "Load" and "Re-Load", which have been universally panned on the "rank Metallica" thread, I don't know how/why anyone had high expectations for it in the 1st place. To me that's what "disappointing" is . . . diminished expectations. I think a lot of people have beefs with the Lars/Napster saga. And I agree with just about every criticism I read. However, when it comes down to it, I separate the music from the politics and see it for what it's worth. It seems a lot of people, as even seen on DVDTalk, cannot do this.

Has anyone read the St. Anger review of Pitchfork Media (0.8 out of 10.0 rating)? The review and rating comes off as the most blatant, biased-agenda review I've ever read.

I do not agree with the St. Anger bashing as much as I do not agree with the Hail to Thief (Radiohead can do no wrong) fanboy-ism I've been reading. I'm in-between on both of them. But we are living in a very polarised world now, aren't we?

Last edited by jarsim; 06-17-03 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-17-03, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by jarsim
I would say it's not the most disappointing by the fact, that I did not have high expectations for it in the first place. After "Load" and "Re-Load", which have been universally panned on the "rank Metallica" thread, I don't know how/why anyone had high expectations for it in the 1st place. To me that's what "disappointing" is . . . diminished expectations. I think a lot of people have beefs with the Lars/Napster saga. And I agree with just about every criticism I read. However, when it comes down to it, I separate the music from the politics and see it for what it's worth. It seems a lot of people, as even seen on DVDTalk, cannot do this.
Well as wrong as it might be to pan the new CD due to the Lars/Napster drama, the same could be said of those who dismiss some of the criticisms with the same excuse. Some people just truly [for whatever reason] don't like the album. There's nothing wrong with that.

As for high expectations...I think this came about once Metallica announced their intent to get back to their "harder" pre-"black album" days...if true, they'd only have themselves to blame..

Regarding the thread topic...
Old 06-17-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I really haven't purchased anything this year that I've hated. However, I was a bit disappointed in the new discs by Be Good Tanyas and the eels.
Old 06-17-03, 01:01 PM
Mod Emeritus

[OT]

<small>
Originally posted by Rogue588
Regarding the thread topic...
</small>Here is where people who can't help themselves may "reply" to this thread - which does not call for replies at all - with less chance of being suspended.

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk
Old 06-17-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just because Metallica hasn't put out an album of new material in 6 years does not mean that St. Anger is truly 6 years "in the making." It's not like they begun writing it 6 years ago, and this is what they came up with.

I'm not saying that I know when they started, but what little I've read says that they had some of it written when they stepped in the studio, and the rest got scrapped and they started anew. I should also say I'm not disagreeing with you in it being a bit disappointing...it's certainly not their most creative effort, but I still do enjoy it, despite all the flaws of "poor production" (not sure what that entails....shrug) and Lars with his trash can lid replacing the snare drum.

I should also say that following a few listens, that this album has dropped down to what might be my least favorite of their releases. Just not enough variety, which is something enjoyed on both Load and Reload. At least they're trying different stuff again, but variety is the spice of life....with the exception of the opening riffs in most of the songs on St. Anger, "the fast and the furious" parts all sound the same.

ALSO, for those who don't like St. Anger at all...you could always call it "St. Anker (stanker)" or "St. Inker" (stinker). (c:
Old 06-17-03, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone else notice that other bands have used the "trash can lid" for a drum. No doubt, red hot chili peppers.
Old 06-17-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yup Rypro, I've noticed it elsewhere, though not on RHCP stuff...which album (or has it been on many)?

My first thought was a song off of Anthrax's "The Sound of White Noise" album...I'll research what song specifically, but I'm pretty sure it's in the song and prominent....but it's pretty much absent on the rest of the album....or at least less prominent.

That would be my only complaint regarding this trash can lid effect on this album, it's just VERY noticeable and prominent throughout. I've since managed to just listen past it and still enjoy the music. (c:
Old 06-17-03, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by harpo787
Yup Rypro, I've noticed it elsewhere, though not on RHCP stuff...which album (or has it been on many)?
check out the californication album. Also the fm radio version doesn't have as much of a ring (but I don't mind it)
Old 06-18-03, 09:08 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Keyser Soze
Wow... with that way of thinking "St. Anger" may just end up being a "classic" Metallica album in another 10 years!
Umm no.

I can't believe you guys are disappointed in the new Blur. It's at least better than Leisure or 13. "Ambulance", "Out of Time", "Caravan Song", "Sweet Song", "Good Song" are among the best songs Blur has ever done.
Old 06-18-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can't believe some have said Blur's "Think Tank" is the most disappointing! IMO it's the best thing they've done yet. But then, I was never a fan of their old sound. "13" and the self-titled one was pretty horrible IMO. But "Think Tank" is easily one of the best albums of the year.
Old 06-18-03, 10:54 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Grimfarrow
But "Think Tank" is easily one of the best albums of the year.
Old 06-18-03, 12:39 PM
Suspended

Metallica's new album. Alot of people are being total drama queens over the sound imo.
Old 06-18-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Penny Lane
But there's always the new Pete Yorn cd, Day I Forgot. And you wonder why it was released for a mere $6.99 at your local Circuit City. It's because it's a true yawn-fest. ick.
Ohh! I like his new CD.
Old 06-18-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

oooooooooooohhhhh....

i'm just now understanding the purpose of this thread.. basically it's to argue with the opinions of people in the other thread.. so if someone says 'xxxxxx is the worst album of the year', instead of calling them a f***tard over there, you can come here and do it..

it's all clear now...

Old 06-18-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
f***tard.

-k
###
Old 06-18-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by mkdevo
oooooooooooohhhhh....

i'm just now understanding the purpose of this thread.. basically it's to argue with the opinions of people in the other thread.. so if someone says 'xxxxxx is the worst album of the year', instead of calling them a f***tard over there, you can come here and do it..

it's all clear now...

Took me a couple posts too...