Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The One&Only [pre-release] Metallica / 'St. Anger' Discussion/News Thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The One&Only [pre-release] Metallica / 'St. Anger' Discussion/News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard it has leaked already..... oh oooh

jk
Old 05-30-03, 12:26 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by db27
Disgruntled Deftone
-----

DEFTONES frontman Chino Moreno spoke to Revolver magazine about the group's stint on the upcoming Summer Sanitarium trek. "A big problem for me was opening for LIMP BIZKIT and LINKIN PARK, two bands that wouldn't exist if it weren't for me, straight up!" the singer is quoted as saying in the magazine's August 2003 issue. "But in the end I'm seriously energized and I'm not going out there to make friends and kick it."

Regarding the tour's headliners, Moreno said, "METALLICA have a vast catalog. But live? Motherf'rs just stand there and play. We're gonna rock out their sh1t. We're gonna blow that motherfr up."

----

I got no problems with his statement, except that he says that Metallica "just stand there and play" Are you kidding me? Clearly he hasn't ever seen Metallica live, cuz they are all over the place. That is a ridiculous statement.
Yeah I dont know where Chino is coming from labeling Metallica as a non energetic show. That just really surprises the hell out of me he would say that. He must be high, those guys are always tokin' As to Deftones opening for Limp & Linkin I dont blame him for being ticked off about that.
Old 05-30-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Yeah, that version has a much better pace to it, oh man I'm so damn excited. I've got June 10th off to enjoy St. Anger's Day in full.
Hey wa-cha think about "SOME KIND OF MONSTER" and "ALL WITHIN' MY HANDS"... I know that they're 30sec clips but so far I LIKE...

Last edited by gerrythedon; 05-30-03 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-30-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I don't know about BB yet, but CIRCUIT CITY will have "ST. ANGER" [w/ DVD]for $9.99.

from [jblackland] a post on "DVDBARGAINS" for CC prices

edit: ... also Target

Last edited by gerrythedon; 06-02-03 at 01:06 AM.
Old 05-30-03, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by SnoopDogg
I heard it has leaked already..... oh oooh

jk
damn! U again
Old 05-30-03, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Disgruntled DeftoneA big problem for me was opening for LIMP BIZKIT and LINKIN PARK, two bands that wouldn't exist if it weren't for me, straight up!" the singer is quoted as saying in the magazine's August 2003 issue.
I guess Chino's never heard of Faith No More... responsible for those two bands? Give me a ****ing break. I see his point, that they are playing a style of music, but it's not like he was some sort of musical pioneer... jesus... deftones have always been fairly mediocre to me, and frankly, at Summer Sanitarium I couldn't care less about seeing them... man, that was a frucking ignorant statement, certainly not changing my mind about Deftones by saying that kind of stuff (and the metallica comment is plain ridiculous...whiny brat)

MATT
Old 05-30-03, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Regarding the tour's headliners, Moreno said, "METALLICA have a vast catalog. But live? Motherf'rs just stand there and play. We're gonna rock out their sh1t. We're gonna blow that motherfr up."
The hell? What are they supposed to do, have choreographers and hump around on the floor like Bobby ****ing Brown?

This is metal. They stand up there and play. They don't have to dance or run around. The energy comes from the music.
Old 05-30-03, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
The hell? What are they supposed to do, have choreographers and hump around on the floor like Bobby ****ing Brown?

This is metal. They stand up there and play. They don't have to dance or run around. The energy comes from the music.
Thank You.
Old 05-30-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by gerrythedon
Hey wa-cha think about "SOME KIND OF MONSTER" and "ALL WITHIN' MY HANDS"... I know that they're 30sec clips but so far I LIKE...

Oh yeah! Out of the four clips that are on the St. Anger player, I think that "some kind of monster" is my favorite. I really dig the slow 'chuggin' riff that is going on!

I'm so loving everything from this album thus far, damn i'm excited.

Also, mad props to Metallica for giving us Maytallica and the St Anger player. Just enough to wet my palet.

Old 05-31-03, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[from AOL NEWS]

FEATURE-Hard rock mavens Metallica show off sensitive side
By Dean Goodman

SAN FRANCISCO, (Reuters) - After two decades as one of the biggest hard rock bands in history, the members of Metallica took the most radical step of their career.

They sat down a few years back and got to know each other.

With the band teetering on the brink, the staunch defenders of bone-crunching heavy metal brought in a therapist who inspired them to share their feelings, hug each other and even resolve issues going back to their childhoods.

Such heartwarming moments play out on "Oprah" every other day, but Metallica didn't sell 80 million records by adopting a warm, cuddly persona. The band became huge through grim anthems like "Creeping Death" and "Seek & Destroy." Onstage, it projected invincibility, pummeling fans with symphonic power.

"St. Anger" (Elektra), Metallica's first studio album since 1997's "Re-Load," set for release the week of June 9, reveals a vulnerable side to the newly enlightened musicians, says drummer Lars Ulrich.

To fans who might worry that the band has lived too long in the liberal bastion of San Francisco, Ulrich told Reuters: "If people don't like the fact that that's what it is now, then at least respect it and then walk away from it gracefully."

That's what bass player Jason Newsted did in early 2001. He stunned the group by quitting after 14 frustrating years during which he was prevented from working on outside projects and also bullied by bandmates grieving his predecessor, Cliff Burton, who died in a 1986 tour bus crash.

"RADICAL CHANGE"
"In retrospect, it's amazing that he lasted 14 years," Ulrich said during an interview at Metallica's headquarters in San Rafael, north of San Francisco. "But what he did was he forced us to take a look at the way we were doing things, and it was very clear that ... in order for this band to have a future and to continue doing something under the Metallica banner, there had to be radical, radical change."

Enter Phil Towle, a performance coach who specializes in getting members of sports teams to get along. But exit singer/guitarist James Hetfield, who spent several weeks that year in alcohol rehab and seemed poised never to return.

Since Ulrich and Hetfield, now both 39, co-founded Metallica in 1981, the two have battled each other for control of the band. The turf war pitted the leonine Hetfield, a shy big-game hunter, against the diminutive Danish-born Ulrich, a self-confessed control freak, whose controversial stand against music piracy enraged fans who like their music for free.

Normally, Hetfield's absence would have allowed Ulrich to grab power. But Towle taught the band -- which also includes 40-year-old lead guitarist Kirk Hammett and Newsted's recent replacement, Robert Trujillo -- to work as a collective.

"We don't spend half our energy now fighting for pole position because now we actually have found a new way of communicating and talking to each other and sitting down and considering other points of view," Ulrich said.

"The whole thing was completely adhered to in the recording of this record, and pretty much all the decisions."

Ulrich and Hetfield were solely responsible for most of Metallica's songs in the past. This time they shared the credit on all of "St. Anger" with Hammett and longtime producer Bob Rock, who filled in on bass.

All the songs were created during lengthy jam sessions at Metallica's headquarters. No one was allowed to bring in any material of his own. After each session, Ulrich and Rock sat at the computer, molding the best bits into songs.

Primary lyricist Hetfield then added the words, with help from his bandmates. Sober and relaxed, he bares his soul in such songs as the title track ("I want my anger to be healthy") and "Dirty Window" ("I drink from the cup of denial, judging the world from my throne").

"COLLECTION OF MOMENTS"
Ulrich calls the record "a collection of moments." Make that "long moments." None of the 11 songs is under five minutes, and three clock in at over eight minutes. That's classic Metallica, before they annoyed fans during the 1990s by recording radio-friendly songs.

Perhaps more worrisome for aficionados is the absence of guitar solos. Ulrich says the band tried desperately to add overdubs, but they ended up "cheapening" the sound.

Trujillo, 38, who was working with Ozzy Osbourne when he got the call to join Metallica in February, said the band has already accepted his input on such matters as album artwork and the DVD that will accompany the CD.

"They're motivated to have a collaborative entity, and that's really important for me," he said. "If this would have been happening two years ago, I may not be sitting here because we might have been clashing in certain ways."

Reuters/VNU
05/30/03 10:32 ET
Old 05-31-03, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Joeboo835
I love it. Best thing since Justice.
S _ _ T best thing since "RELOAD"
Old 05-31-03, 02:59 PM

I was sitting there trying to compare it (Saint Anger) with And Justice... but then the radio announcer suggested RTL, and he is right; sounds more to me like Escape and Trapped Under Ice from RTL than anything from Justice. One of the callers made mention of the fact that it sounds like it has been recorded in a water tank, a raw sound, and half were for half against it. Musically, all things being equal, the new Metallica song is better than the new (boring but ambient) Radiohead song.

But this comes from a person who thought they never really stopped making good music; this is RTL, except the voice of Het is more mature as on Load and there are no electrifying guitar solos.

But it's not going to stop their `declining sales'. In fact, it may heed it.
Old 05-31-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
I was surprised that they actually played fast in parts. I thought that was all behind them since the black album. Hope this is a return to their true metal roots.
Old 06-01-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh yeah! Out of the four clips that are on the St. Anger player, I think that "some kind of monster" is my favorite. I really dig the slow 'chuggin' riff that is going on!

I'm so loving everything from this album thus far, damn i'm excited.

Also, mad props to Metallica for giving us Maytallica and the St Anger player. Just enough to wet my palet.

Hey, check out [If u haven't yet] the SWEET interviews on the PLAYER... COOL

edit: DAMN the interviews [especially JAMES] on "ALL WITHIN MY HANDS" was TOUCHING.

Last edited by gerrythedon; 06-01-03 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-01-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by gerrythedon
Hey, check out [If u haven't yet] the SWEET interviews on the PLAYER... COOL

edit: DAMN the interviews [especially JAMES] on "ALL WITHIN MY HANDS" was TOUCHING.

WOW! very cool interviews, I had a feeling that "all within my hands" was about (at least in part) Jason. Can't wait to hear the rest

9 DAYS!
Old 06-01-03, 08:45 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
Album sounds pretty good overall.

The vocals (screaming) 'Sweet Amber' are kinda painful to listen to. That is about the only song I don't really care for.

'Unnamed Feeling' sounds like a song that will show up on radio...
Old 06-01-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by The Cow
Album sounds pretty good overall.

The vocals (screaming) 'Sweet Amber' are kinda painful to listen to. That is about the only song I don't really care for.

'Unnamed Feeling' sounds like a song that will show up on radio...
Did you go to a listening party, or did you use "other" means

I'm so tempted by the "other" means, but I always like the newness of buying it than hearing with my favorite bands, I often use "other" means for bands that I like, but aren't my favorites.

Glad you like.
Old 06-01-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

St. Anger LP Vinyl will be released in the U.S. on June 17th, and the rest of the world later.
[METALLICA.COM]

...DAMN! I want this!
Old 06-02-03, 12:02 AM
Banned

Disgruntled Deftone
-----

DEFTONES frontman Chino Moreno spoke to Revolver magazine about the group's stint on the upcoming Summer Sanitarium trek. "A big problem for me was opening for LIMP BIZKIT and LINKIN PARK, two bands that wouldn't exist if it weren't for me, straight up!" the singer is quoted as saying in the magazine's August 2003 issue. "But in the end I'm seriously energized and I'm not going out there to make friends and kick it."

----

Well at least they are not opening for Mudvayne, by FAR the worst band on that tour. I don't get why Deftones accepted to do this tour. They are much better than those s**t bands (well except Metallica).
Old 06-02-03, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

WOW! very cool interviews, I had a feeling that "all within my hands" was about (at least in part) Jason. Can't wait to hear the rest

9 DAYS!
I'm really loving this *clip [not song]... It's FKN SWEET!

*edit

Last edited by gerrythedon; 06-02-03 at 02:01 AM.
Old 06-02-03, 01:11 AM
Suspended

I'm really loving this song... It's FKN SWEET!
You know gerrythedon....you are not making it any easier for those of us who are trying to hold out until release date!!
Old 06-02-03, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MJKTool
You know gerrythedon....you are not making it any easier for those of us who are trying to hold out until release date!!
... don't worry I'm waiting along with U. It just a sample.
Old 06-02-03, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by evenflowddt
Well at least they are not opening for Mudvayne, by FAR the worst band on that tour. I don't get why Deftones accepted to do this tour. They are much better than those s**t bands (well except Metallica).
the label put them up to it. they want more exposure for The Deftones as they still don't have the mainstream sales of bands like Korn, LB and Linkin Park. Of course, I don't think that's a bad thing at all. The less mainstream they are, the better off we all are.
Old 06-02-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Metallica St. Anger release moved up 5 days

From Billboard.com

Metallica's 'Anger' Fumes Early

Metallica has moved the release of its upcoming Elektra album, "St. Anger," up to Thursday (June 5) from its scheduled June 10 arrival. According to the label, the move is being made "to ensure that counterfeit copies of the band's first studio album in six years do not proliferate in the marketplace." In the past year, release dates for high-profile albums from Eminem and 50 Cent were moved forward for similar reasons.

As previously reported, initial shipments of "St. Anger" will come with a bonus DVD featuring Metallica playing the album tracks in a live setting. Fans who purchase the CD will also gain access to a special Web site, Metallicavault.com, featuring exclusive rare tracks from throughout Metallica's career.

The new album's title track was transmitted via satellite last Tuesday to U.S. radio outlets and is expected to debut within the top-5 of Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks airplay chart this week.

Metallica, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, the Deftones, and Mudvayne embark on the Summer Sanitarium tour July 4 in Detroit.
Old 06-02-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will this mean that since I have it on pre order for the 10th, it should ship the 5th? Kick ass!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.