Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Big Audio Dynamite?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Big Audio Dynamite?

Old 03-26-03, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big Audio Dynamite?

I pretty much have the entire Clash catalog now, and recently found out that Mick Jones started a band after leaving the Clash, called Big Audio Dynamite. Does anyone have any B.A.D. suggestions?
Old 03-26-03, 09:20 AM
Mod Emeritus

IIRC they only released a couple or three albums: I bought "the best of"
Old 03-26-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got just about all their discs. Each one is a bit different from the others. When their debut came out in '85 it was pretty cool, but today it's very much dated. I have 7 of their "proper" discs. Some aren't so great. Okay, I just went over and checked out allmusic.com. I think if I was you I'd just buy their greatest hits package. It has most of their best songs. You'll find their music to be more light-hearted than the Clash. "Tighten Up. Vol '88" doesn't get the best reviews, but it's my fave disc of theirs because there are some good rockin' songs. The song "Hip, Neck and Thigh" is very catchy.
Old 03-26-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love the song, "I Turned Out a Punk"
Old 03-26-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by benedict
IIRC they only released a couple or three albums: I bought "the best of"
According too www.allmusic.com they have released 8 original albums, and 5 compilations/best of's.

Their best work is up to and including Megatop Phoenix, IMHO, but they didn't really get any commercial success until The Globe, which isn't a bad album.
Old 03-26-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Atlantamoi--"Hip, Neck and Thigh" is a great tune.

I think my favorite is the second album, "No. 10 Upping St.". Mick had patched things up with Joe Strummer by this point, and Joe co-wrote half of these songs with Mick, and they both co-produced the album. "Sightsee M.C." is the coolest song BAD ever did, IMO.

I also like the first one. It does sound a tad dated, but it's a very confident-sounding album. Mick definitely had a clear vision of how BAD would be different than the Clash, and that comes through well, IMO--it's a very cohesive, tight album.

I think Tighten Up Vol'88(Clash bassist Paul Simonen painted the cover) and Megatop Phoenix were both strong, too.

I also loved one of their later singles "Lookin' for a Song."

Quite a cool band. I think that although Mick was trying to be more cutting edge with BAD by using a lot more drum machines and samples, it ended up having the opposite effect in the long run, IMO---the music in general sounds a bit more dated, and not as timeless as the Clash. Still, a lot of good tunes.
Old 03-26-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

B.A.D. =
Old 03-27-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Whoa - it's weird seeing this thread. Just last week I pulled out The Globe since I hadn't listened to it in quite a while. Man, I still love that disc.

Can't really comment on any of their stuff prior to that, since I haven't heard any of it.
Old 03-28-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My favorite B.A.D. song is "The Bottom Line". It is a bit dated sounding, but I still like it. I was so pissed when I bought the cassette and the song was edited for the cassette and not the version I'd been hearing on college radio and in the clubs.
Old 03-28-03, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by joefrog91
My favorite B.A.D. song is "The Bottom Line". It is a bit dated sounding, but I still like it. I was so pissed when I bought the cassette and the song was edited for the cassette and not the version I'd been hearing on college radio and in the clubs.

I LOVE that song. "The horses are on the track". The beginning of that song is a fave.

The first three albums are very strong and the next two have some excellent songs as well.

This Is Big Audio Dynamite
No. 10, Upping St.
Tighten Up, Vol. '88
Megatop Phoenix
The Globe

I would say that you could get Planet BAD: Greatest Hits and then if you like them, go back and get at least the first three.
Old 03-29-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was at King of Prussia in Philly today, and I had to go the Borders and 3 FYE's to finally find a copy of The Globe. It's pretty good . I just about went into convulsions when I realized that Mick used the same sample of the guy yelling in "The Globe" as he did when the Clash made "Should I Stay Or Should I Go Now?".
Old 03-29-03, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
That cd is probably easier to find in the used bin.