Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rant! Getting Tickets for Concerts is getting out of hand!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 02-08-03, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so ripped, tickets for the Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds acoustic tour went on sale this morning at 10am est for most of the venues.

I decided that the CT show would be the best drive, tickets were available through tickets.com for this event.

I started reloading the page at about 5 of ten, and when the tix went on sale I figured I was golden. Nope, "were sorry we are experiencing high volumes at this time, please submit your request again..."

So I continue to refresh every second or so, NOT ONE time did I get the oppurtunity for tix. In my other hand I repeatedly called the phone order line, and NOT ONE time did I get anything but a busy signal.

Until finally, both the phone and the net said "tickets are no longer available for this event"

I'm on a cable modem, I've never had issues getting tickets like this INSANE!

Now search on ebay, my only hope for tickets and people are asking hundreds/thousands of $$$ for these shows.

My fiance is gonna be devastated when she gets home. This was going to be her birthday present.

Old 02-08-03, 09:44 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Thank God for the Warehouse. The probem with this tour is each show has only a small amount of tickets available to the public. Most of the venues only seat ~6000. Since it's a college tour, some go to students, some to the Warehouse, and whatever is left goes to the public.
Old 02-08-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was in the warehouse for awhile, didn't get tickets for the show I requested. Big waste of money.

Where can I report all of the ticket sales on ebay. You are not supposed to be allowed to sell over face value. And face is about $50 each for all shows.
Old 02-08-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

maybe I'll create a swag user account and buy every ticket on ebay and not pay.

or at least push the prices up further to reduce the risk of people buying them.
Old 02-08-03, 10:02 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I think the face value policy is crap. Sure, the face value for these tickets is $49.50. With all the fees, my two tickets cost me $117.50. If I sold them on Ebay for face value, I'd be losing money. It should be ok to sell them for enough to cover all your costs, including Ebay fees, or Ebay should just not allow ticket sales period.

On first glance, I don't see how you report auctions. It used to be easy.

I love the Warehouse. So far, I've gotten tickets to every show I've ever requested(knock on wood). I sat in the lower level at 6/23/00. I made it on camera at Farm Aid 2001. I was two rows off the floor at 12/14/02. And I'll be in the building for a Dave & Tim show this tour.

You might find some kind soul with extras on the Antsmarching Ticket Exchange forum at http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/fo...?s=&forumid=11

Last edited by AndyCapps; 02-08-03 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-08-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks for the link, I gave it a shot
Old 02-08-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by AndyCapps
I think the face value policy is crap. Sure, the face value for these tickets is $49.50. With all the fees, my two tickets cost me $117.50. If I sold them on Ebay for face value, I'd be losing money. It should be ok to sell them for enough to cover all your costs, including Ebay fees, or Ebay should just not allow ticket sales period.
[/url]

I agree that you should be able to make some money on ticket sales, but some people are going to get hundreds of dollars for these tickets.

Ridiculous.
Old 02-08-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got tickets for a Springsteen concert, as well as a Billy Joel/Elton John concert online (only way I could, since I don't live in the province where they will be held). I had a number of people in different locations try via internet, and a couple of other people on phones. The end result was that I did get tickets for the concerts, but it was a huge headache. Sites that sell tickets know that they don't have the capacity to handle the interest, but they are unwilling to upgrade for the rare occassions that there is a concert that will cause that amount of interest...
Old 02-08-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts
You have a better chance of getting struck by lightening than scoring premo seats at a major concert.

From what I read on the net, concert promoter(s) have contracts with ticket brokers which offer them (the brokers) exclusive rights to the "hot seats". I truly believe the today's ticket system has been monopolized.
Old 02-08-03, 05:38 PM
Suspended

Yep I have all but given up on going to most concerts these days, to many damn let downs about getting decent seats thru TicketBastard. The only band I would see anymore is Tool, and I am willing to pay twice face value to brokers to see them. It sucks major ass but I have come to accept it.
Old 02-08-03, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MJKTool
The only band I would see anymore is Tool, and I am willing to pay twice face value to brokers to see them. It sucks major ass but I have come to accept it.
I paid $500 for two front-row tickets for Radiohead a couple of years back. It was well worth it since they hardly ever tour the US.

I remember best I could get during the initial on-sale was lawn seating( I think I was 1st or 2nd in line).
Old 02-08-03, 09:24 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by candyrocket786
I paid $500 for two front-row tickets for Radiohead a couple of years back. It was well worth it since they hardly ever tour the US.

I remember best I could get during the initial on-sale was lawn seating( I think I was 1st or 2nd in line).
Absolutely! Sometimes you just have to pay to play. I got floor seats from a broker that were I think like 3 times face value, but damned if I didnt have the best time at that live show.
Old 02-08-03, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by MJKTool
Yep I have all but given up on going to most concerts these days, to many damn let downs about getting decent seats thru TicketBastard. The only band I would see anymore is Tool, and I am willing to pay twice face value to brokers to see them. It sucks major ass but I have come to accept it.
Don't forget that Clear Channel is just as responsible for the monopoly. They are dictating the high prices to concerts.
Old 02-08-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by borisdisco
Don't forget that Clear Channel is just as responsible for the monopoly. They are dictating the high prices to concerts.
They are the Microsoft of the concert industry and the air waves.