Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

MP3 Collection in Car?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

MP3 Collection in Car?

Old 11-06-02, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MP3 Collection in Car?

I've been thinking of somehow putting my mp3 collection in my car. I've been searching for some good ideas at www.mp3car.com and www.funmp3players.com and have found a few things. I'd just like some input from you guys.

some info:
I have a 2000 Accord w/ a 6 CD changer hooked up now. I don't know a whole lot about car audio. I don't have any accesory audio inputs on the front of my receiver. I don't have a cassette player in the receiver.

Here are some of the options so far. Get a new receiver w/ either a cassette player or an accesory plug and get and Ipod. Build a computer and wire it up. There are some first-gen harddrive players that somehow hook up directly into the receiver.

I have about 40 gigs of music, but I could live w/ putting 10-20 in the car.

I don't want an mp3 format CD player.

A remote would be nice as well as easy to use directory navigaiton. I don't want to be swerving all over the road trying to change songs.

I don't really have a set budget for the project right now, but cheaper is definitely better.

Any input or ideas?
Old 11-06-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm getting one of these in a couple months:

http://www.dension.com/index.dw?nyelv_id=2
Old 11-06-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Aghama
I'm getting one of these in a couple months:

http://www.dension.com/index.dw?nyelv_id=2
Wow, that looks pretty sweet, especially considering I have an extra 40 gig drive.

I found something similar called the NEO35. It has gotten mixed reviews from the sites I've visited.

I wonder if I could hook this Dension up to my factory receiver in place of the CD-Changer. I'd prefer not to have to buy another entire receiver.
Old 11-06-02, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Try this.
Old 11-06-02, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is your CD changer a factory changer, or an aftermarket changer?

I have a '99 Accord and hooked up an Alpine CHA-620 (I'm pretty sure it was the 620, this was back in the fall of '98), putting in the trunk where the factory (or dealer) would have installed a changer. I had to have two adapters, one to convert from AI-net to whatever signal the radio wanted, and the second was an adapter so that it could plug into the back of the radio.

Your Honda factory radio is made by Alpine, incidentally. It's a low end Alpine, but still is an Alpine.

Anyway, if I were you I would put in a nice Alpine CD / MP3 player. Your factory CD changer (which I assume you have) should fit into the Alpine with an adapter. Keep six of your favorite CDs in the back CD changer, and keep a handful of CD-Rs with MP3s on them in the front. When you get tired of your CDs, pop in a CD-R, which should have 10 - 14 hours worth of music, and hit "shuffle".
Old 11-06-02, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the replies.

My changer is a factory changer, it is installed right below the receiver in an open area.
That's AutoToys site has loads of stuff. I found a Honda 6 CD MP3/CD changer on there for $370. That would give me almost 4 gigs in the car.

However, for that much money I could probably pick up one of the HD based solutions and increase my storage substantially.

I could have sworn I found some Alpine changer converter to use w/ the Dension, but of course that was before I knew mine was an Alpine. So obviously I can't find it now

I might try to remover my changer just to see what kind of connections I have. I don't know if I have some special plug, or if the changer plugs into RCA ports. If it plugs into RCA ports, I would think I'm set. Just plug the Dension right in.

I've thought about the MP3 CD player, but that still doesn't eliminate discs. I'm driving, and I think of a song I want to listen to and I have to change discs. Bummer. Plus I'd love to put my entire collection just on random.
Old 11-06-02, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm a dumbass, I didn't realize that link was session specific. I was trying to link to the AUX adapter for the 2000 Honda.
Click on the link that says "OEM Changers" then "OEM COMPATIBLE AUX INTERFACES". It's on the second page.
Old 11-06-02, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Aghama
I'm a dumbass, I didn't realize that link was session specific. I was trying to link to the AUX adapter for the 2000 Honda.
Click on the link that says "OEM Changers" then "OEM COMPATIBLE AUX INTERFACES". It's on the second page.
aw yeah, rock on. You are the man Aghama. I wonder if they make a splitter for the Molex converter so I could have the changer and an accessory hooked up.

Now I need to decide if I'm going to get the Dension or and Ipod. Both have pros and cons. This is getting complicated, but at least I'm heading in a good direction. Any more input?

edit: dang I just saw the price of that cable/converter. $82, they're proud of they're product, that's for sure. But hey, if it keeps more from having to buy another head unit...
Old 11-06-02, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, the price definitely sucks, but hell if I know of an alternative.

I was facing the same dilemma, but I decided while having a portable mp3 player with most of my music would be cool, I'd rather have all much music in my car and not have to worry about cables running around the interior. But also note that if you want to mount this thing in the trunk, you're going to need to buy a $100 remote face plate. Add in the cost of the hard drive, and the Dension is not an inexpensive proposition. But for my purposes, there's really no better or cheaper alternative.
Old 11-07-02, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you want to take your radio out to look at the connections, here are the removal instructions:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/accord/accordcd.pdf

(it's actually the instructions for attaching something else, but includes the removal instructions). Incidentally, www.handa-accessories.com is a good site for buying add ons for your car, they sell for ~ 25% to 33% less than your local Honda dealer plus they give you the instructions on how to do it yourself (so you are not paying $60/hour labor).
Old 11-07-02, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks Heat! That will definitely take the guesswork out of it.

Now I decide to go for Ipod or Dension.

Ipod is going to be either $350 for 10 gig or $450 for 20 gig. Maybe a little more for a changer, car stand, etc.

Dension is going to be $320 plus a HD plus possibly another $100 for a display unit. I might need one of these.

Ipod is portable, which is a big plus, but the Dension isn't. I could probably stand not having all 40 gigs, but need at least 10-20 so this leaves both options open.

I don't know which has a better directory management. I have my music organized into Artist/Album Name/Track for all the full albums. And then I have one folder for "Everything Else", which has about 1200 songs. Most all of my tags are correct in the Everything Else folder.