Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

If you think Avril Lavigne is a punk poser, read this article

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

If you think Avril Lavigne is a punk poser, read this article

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-02, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I almost forgot poseur was spelled with a "u".

Mopower, that was unnecessary.
Old 10-30-02, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if anybody knows where bohegers is in md, theyve got a concert with her on dec 7
Old 10-30-02, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mopower
HA, Not if you get rid of her makeup.

??

She's still a pretty girl IMO.
Old 10-30-02, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by DodgingCars
??

She's still a pretty girl IMO.
I'm with you on that.
Old 10-30-02, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 12thmonkey
I'm with you on that.
I'm not with you on that. I left something in the toilet this morning that was more attractive than that.
Old 10-31-02, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone who has to deny that they are a punk poser is a punk poser.

A true punk wouldn't care.
Old 10-31-02, 10:03 PM
Banned

If you think she looks attractive at all in that picture, you've got some great standards.

I got the EW issue today, here's my favorite quote of hers: "People are like, 'well, she doesn't know the Sex Pistols'. Why would I know that stuff?

Wow, for anyone who enjoys punk-rock music, this truly is a great article. I don't even know where to start, but I actually want to write EW for once and tell them how ridiculous this article is.
Old 10-31-02, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Mopower
HA, Not if you get rid of her makeup.

I'm sure shes more pretty then that. The picture just caught her at a bad time. I saw pics of Pam Anderson and Cameron Diaz without makeup and they looked really bad but I'm 100% sure the only reason they look that bad was because of when and how the picture was taken.
Old 11-01-02, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the label wanted her to be "street sk8ter", I guess a new demographic?
Old 11-01-02, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
I thought the label wanted her to be "street sk8ter", I guess a new demographic?
"Street Sk8ter"? Morelike the "I'm a Teenage Dumbass" demo.
Old 11-01-02, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Mike_AA

I got the EW issue today, here's my favorite quote of hers: "People are like, 'well, she doesn't know the Sex Pistols'. Why would I know that stuff?

I noticed that, too. That's classic! She's backpedaling, though. I remember the first few articles that were written about her. She did claim to be punk, and she did talk bad about Britney. She also said she could skateboard and play guitar, and she later revealed that she sucked at both. Which is it?

Oh yeah, and the lyrics in her songs are great: "He played guitar/ she did ballet/ what else can I say?"
Old 11-01-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Alyoshka
I'm not with you on that. I left something in the toilet this morning that was more attractive than that.
What a coincidence, me too!
Old 11-01-02, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why you have to go and make things so complicated?
I see the way you're acting like you're somebody else gets me frustrated
Life's like this
You fall and you crawl and you break
and you take what you get and you turn it into honesty
and promise me I'm never gonna find you fake it
no no no
Old 11-01-02, 03:31 PM
Banned

I believe this quote is from Breakfast at Tiffanys:

"She's a fake. But she's a 'real' fake."

In this day and age of fabricated artifice that's all that matters.
Old 11-01-02, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Penny Lane
I noticed that, too. That's classic! She's backpedaling, though. I remember the first few articles that were written about her. She did claim to be punk, and she did talk bad about Britney. She also said she could skateboard and play guitar, and she later revealed that she sucked at both. Which is it?

Oh yeah, and the lyrics in her songs are great: "He played guitar/ she did ballet/ what else can I say?"
great timing. 98 ycr has this song on right now!
Old 11-02-02, 12:47 PM
Banned

As far as looks go, she's a bit too Canadian for my taste but not bad. I think I would have to give her 'moped' status (because its fun to ride a moped but you wouldnt show it off to your friends)

However, at least she is doing something a little different at least by mainstream standards. As far as the whole punk thing, if you want real punk music try some Circle Jerks or FEAR...but those bands arent for everyone.
Old 11-02-02, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ever see The Filth & The Fury?

Great documentary & they do make reference to punk not being true punk anymore when everyone adopted the 'punk' fashion & became follower's themselves than independent people doing there own thing.

So i never really cared about what is or isn't punk or this & that....since when it all comes down to it.The music is what matters...but if the music sucks & pretends to be something it's not...for example 'real'..when it's really manufactored by the studio & producer's...then theres no doubt about it being poser music!

Yet people saying 'punk' must be a certain way...such as tatoo's,black leather & wild hair-styles is missing the point & again just following the crowd,rather than being themselves.

Same thing with metal being only long hair,head banging,guitar screeching,screaming incomprensibile growling 'lyrics' does not 'make' you metal.You have to have some talent & alittle originality + love for that genre to truely get it right your own way..rather than following what everyone else is doing to 'fit in'. + when these so called 'metal' bands just copy someone else...they make noise,not music!

Yet early Metallica is metal,Slayer is metal.......Necrophagia or whatever the hell they are called is not metal!

Though while i may like Slayer & Metallica for metal....even the Sex Pistol's Ramones & other punk rock. I do not 'look' like a punk in the conformist sense...yet i do my own thing & speak my mind & most importantyl just be myself. It's really that simple & not to hard to do.

Then again i love all kinds of music including ABBA,The Doors,Creedence Clearwater Revial,The Bangles,Aerosmith,AC/DC & tons of other stuff. It's because i like the music is what matters..not what someone else thinks.Everyone seems to think you have to only like one type of music to 'be' a 'real' fan of that genre.No you don't...theres all kinds of styles out there....so why try conforming into one group..rather than just liking what you like?

If i ever got into music....i would experiment with all the various styles of music i like...from hard rock,to oldies type pop rythms such as The Beach Boys,Shangri-Las..to even blues/soul & just mix it all up doing what i like & having fun with it & enjoy it.Rather than being one thing or the other..since i don't like doing only one thing at a time.

Though i can bet everyone will be yelling "SELL OUT!!!!!" "POSER!!!!!!" if i decide to to try various styles on my own..without any studio/producer telling me what to do! Since fans just can't accept a band trying a new (but cool)sound once in awhile,even if it's only one song.Everyone yells "sell out!" they're so uncool now!

Last edited by Julie Walker; 11-02-02 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-02-02, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,030 Posts
She looks like a real girl to me in that picture. Maybe I'm getting mellower in my old age (28) or something, but I'm learning more and more to see the inner beauty in people. And I like the sound of her music, not her doctrines.
Old 11-04-02, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Re-Animator
As far as looks go, she's a bit too Canadian for my taste but not bad.

I don't even know where to start with this post... thanks for the good laugh though!

-matt
Old 11-05-02, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 416 Posts
Originally posted by milo bloom
She looks like a real girl to me in that picture. Maybe I'm getting mellower in my old age (28) or something, but I'm learning more and more to see the inner beauty in people. And I like the sound of her music, not her doctrines.
Don't even know her music (why did I come into this thread?) but I agree with the other sentiments in this post...
Old 11-05-02, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here are some 'ugly' ones.....

And my favorite of recent times

Old 11-05-02, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Gee, I notice none of the appearance-conscious young studs posting in this thread are posting THEIR own pictures up for public inspection are they? Care to do it, guys? Or would that disrupt the locker room vibe here?

As far as "punk" or no goes, I think anybody with a brain would realize "true" punk died just about the same time it was born. Everything else since then has been imitation and reaction. Some of it's even been quite good. Some not.
Old 11-06-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I Thought she was a punk as in a rotton bratty spoiled kid.. not a punk rocker as in the bands back in the 80's. :-)

Nonetheless, great CD.

Sam
Old 11-06-02, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
Gee, I notice none of the appearance-conscious young studs posting in this thread are posting THEIR own pictures up for public inspection are they? Care to do it, guys? Or would that disrupt the locker room vibe here?

As far as "punk" or no goes, I think anybody with a brain would realize "true" punk died just about the same time it was born. Everything else since then has been imitation and reaction. Some of it's even been quite good. Some not.

I don't think I have to post a pic of myself on this site, I'm not pretending to be famous. If she doesn't look bad then why do they slap all that makeup on her? I know plenty of girls that don't wear makeup and look a hell of a lot better than that. And my standards aren't really that high.

Oh and on a side note, that little innocent look she has in all her videos when shes sings....god it makes me wanna slap the hell out of her!
Old 11-07-02, 12:42 AM
Banned

Ugh, Pamela. Cameron Diaz, as bad as that picture is, still looks pretty good. Thumbs up to her or something.

Is there a website with ugly celebrity pictures like that? It'd be too funny to see who else I saw.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.