Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

cd that holds more than 80 minutes of music, WHEN?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-09-02, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think about this a lot and just thought I'd ask.
Why are we only able to store 80 minutes of music on a cd, but we can watch 6+ hours of a movie / special features on a single dvd?

I do not understand this and my life would be so much better if I could store 5-6 hours of music on a single disc

Any thoughts or chance we will get this in the near future?
Old 06-09-02, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the current answer is MP3 CD players. You can store quite a few songs on 700MB. Some really good portable MP3 CD players can be had for under $100 now. You can get a car kit with that but they actually have MP3 CD players for cars now.

Instead of 80 minutes of uncompressed .wav files, these players recognize 700MB of the compressed MP3 files.
Old 06-09-02, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Cornfed
I think the current answer is MP3 CD players. You can store quite a few songs on 700MB. Some really good portable MP3 CD players can be had for under $100 now. You can get a car kit with that but they actually have MP3 CD players for cars now.

Instead of 80 minutes of uncompressed .wav files, these players recognize 700MB of the compressed MP3 files.
I have a Riovolt (or used to since it went kaput ) anyway its great. I highly recommend it
Old 06-11-02, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I absolutely LOVE my Sony CDX-MP450X MP3 player in my car. I can't imagine not being able to play mp3 burned CDs and would suggest to anyone with the bandwidth to make it worth downloading all those songs to invest as well. Didn't hurt that I got it for around $165 either and I have had few problems with it (except for the whole thing about text not scrolling like they advertise, but that's such a small thing).

~Scheherazade
Old 06-11-02, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has to do with sales on the market for a blank cd. Why make more room on a cd when you will only sell one, opposed to if you limited it to a certain number, you will sell more.

Besides, your comparing DVD's with Music files. two different things. thats like asking why some hard drives only hold 20 gig's and some hold 120 gig's.
Old 06-11-02, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: cd that holds more than 80 minutes of music, WHEN?

Originally posted by LX98Civic
I think about this a lot and just thought I'd ask.
Why are we only able to store 80 minutes of music on a cd, but we can watch 6+ hours of a movie / special features on a single dvd?

I do not understand this and my life would be so much better if I could store 5-6 hours of music on a single disc

Any thoughts or chance we will get this in the near future?
Those are two different formats. The redbook standard for encoding on a compact disc is 74 minutes and that is not likely to change.
Old 06-11-02, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Get an MP3 CD player and you'll have 400-640 minutes of music.
Old 06-11-02, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Scheherazade
I absolutely LOVE my Sony CDX-MP450X MP3 player in my car. I can't imagine not being able to play mp3 burned CDs and would suggest to anyone with the bandwidth to make it worth downloading all those songs to invest as well. Didn't hurt that I got it for around $165 either and I have had few problems with it (except for the whole thing about text not scrolling like they advertise, but that's such a small thing).

~Scheherazade
Where did you get yours? I'm thinking about upgrading my "system" in my car and definitely would love this.
Old 06-11-02, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by The Bus
Get an MP3 CD player and you'll have 400-640 minutes of music.
Excuse my ignorance but what exactly holds the 400-640 minutes of music? Is it a disc of some type? I can play burned cds in my Pioneer deck, just hate that I can only have 80 minutes in at one time.

I am highly interested in an mp3 player now that I hear you can get one for $165. Hell, I can sell my Pioneer 8000 for over $300 easily

Thanks for any info!
Old 06-11-02, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's a player that reads MP3s burned to a standard CD.
Old 06-11-02, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tor_greg
It's a player that reads MP3s burned to a standard CD.
So, will it play regular cd's too? Hmmmm..... My TDK rw automatically converts the mp3's to whatever to burn to cd. That may be a problem. But, I have to look into this. I could go from 150 cds down to 30 or so, easily!!
Old 06-11-02, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe you're failing to see how they work. When you burn your mp3s as an audio cd, you're basically converting the mp3s to uncompressed wav files and burning those big wav files to the cd. If you simply make a data cd with mp3s in their compressed mp3 format, that's when you're getting the 640 minutes of music (depending on bitrates.) These mp3 cd players in cars play the music from the mp3 data CD just as your computer would if you ever backed up your mp3 collection up on a CD-R before....
Old 06-12-02, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Creating a new standard audio-CD format that holds 5-6 hours is impractical for those that benefit most from the current audio-CD standard.. the record labels. You do see the impracticality of 5-6 hours on a single disc from the record label standpoint, right? A band would have to write and record 5-6 hours of music for each new album.. impossible.

Therefore, the only use would be personal compilations, which causes a conflict--consumers want long audio-CDs, labels want short audio-CDs.. who wins? It is easier to use standard CDs and compress the music, which is what others have mentioned.

(One note.. 99 minute recordable CDs are available, although many burners don't support them. They fall way out of redbook standard.)
Old 06-12-02, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by LX98Civic

So, will it play regular cd's too? Hmmmm..... My TDK rw automatically converts the mp3's to whatever to burn to cd. That may be a problem. But, I have to look into this. I could go from 150 cds down to 30 or so, easily!!
It isn't your burner that converts--it is your software. In order to burn a CD of MP3s, you must create a new data disc, not audio disc. The program will treat the mp3s as it would treat any other file, and not convert them to wave.