Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Stevie Ray Vaughn Song ID

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So as I was helping my brother move, I had the radio on. A song by Stevie Ray Vaughn came on that I didn't recognize. It sounded similar to Pride and Joy but was slower and "softer". The guitar riff sounded alot like pride and joy though. I think it may have been a live recording. Anyhow, the DJ simply said Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble. I at first thought Double Trouble was the name of the song but soon found out that it was not and was in fact the name of a band he played with. So can someone help? I know it wasn't Pride and Joy, Look at Little Sister, or his cover of Superstition, or his cover of Voodoo Child, but other than that I've got no ideas. Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-06-02, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Let me Love You Baby?
Old 06-06-02, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I found a sample of Let Me Love You Baby and that wasn't it. The song I'm thinking of was slower than that. Any other ideas?
Old 06-06-02, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok I did some hunting. I think it was either Dirty Pool or Ain't Gone N' Give Up On Love. I think it was probably the latter. If anyone else has any ideas go for it but I think I figured it out.
Also, I'm a moron. I realized I've been mispelling his last name(I left out the final A)
Old 06-07-02, 01:44 AM

Try "Cold Shot"
Old 06-07-02, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Vman,
Thank you. It was in fact Cold Shot and not those other two songs that I mentioned. Thanks so much for your help!
Old 06-07-02, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by dfbennett
Vman,
Thank you. It was in fact Cold Shot and not those other two songs that I mentioned. Thanks so much for your help!
Ahhh.....great song. The video is really good too. You should try to check that out as well.
Old 06-07-02, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

TDD,
I'm really starting to get into Stevie Ray Vaughan. I remember my 8th grade was a big SRV fan (my teacher was like 27 at the time). It wasn't until recently that I actually started listening to alot of Stevie's stuff. What a great guitar player. Very cool type of music he played too, very laid back. Too bad he died at such a young age. Can anyone reccomend any other artists (current or past) that are similar in style to Stevie? I've heard Kenny Wayne Shepard plays a similar type of music but I've not heard much of his stuff. Either way, thanks again for all of the help everyone.
Old 06-07-02, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

TDD,
I'm really starting to get into Stevie Ray Vaughan. I remember my 8th grade was a big SRV fan (my teacher was like 27 at the time). It wasn't until recently that I actually started listening to alot of Stevie's stuff. What a great guitar player. Very cool type of music he played too, very laid back. Too bad he died at such a young age. Can anyone reccomend any other artists (current or past) that are similar in style to Stevie? I've heard Kenny Wayne Shepard plays a similar type of music but I've not heard much of his stuff. Either way, thanks again for all of the help everyone.
Went to college in Texas and was a freshman when he died. My first class of the next morning was a Poly Sci class in an arena (about 400 students in the class). As we walked in, the speakers were blaring SRV. When class started, the teacher was visibly upset. Instead of the scheduled lecture, for the next two days, we discussed the impact music has had on political culture in the US. It was very informative, and a good memory to remember a Texas legend by.

I really don't have many recommendations, I just thought I would share that story.
Old 06-07-02, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 416 Posts
Can anyone reccomend any other artists (current or past) that are similar in style to Stevie?
Well, most electric blues is similar in style, but truth is, what made SRV so great was that there was nobody like him. It is entirely possible to *love* him and not even *like* the rest of the genre...
Old 06-07-02, 06:40 PM

Well obviously Stevie and Hendrix had similar styles. I mean listen to Little Wing, Life Without You, Say What! and of course Voodoo Child. Very Hendrix inspired material.

I've recently heard of a group called Indigenous. My guitar instructor has played with them on several ocassions and he told me to check them out. Wow. Their guitarist Mato Nanji is very good. I even hear some SRV influence. Some influence... who am I kinding. Alot of SRV influence. Check them out sometime. There are others I could come up with if you like.

/ modiman.

Last edited by modiman; 06-07-02 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-07-02, 11:54 PM

Vman,
No problem.The song"Life Without You"has some of the hottest,meanest,"stick these blues right up your A$$" licks,that I have ever heard.Find any live verison of this song and it will almost bring you to tears.All of his stuff is great,but that song for some reason really gets to me.