Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Bob Dylan Appreciation Thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-02, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this partially stems from the Musicians who are Poets thread (or whatever it's called)... and it also partially stems from the fact that i've been listening to Dylan's Time Out of Mind almost non-stop for the past few days...

i was curious if anybody else has noticed his tragic inflection of the word "don't" in the phrase "there are things i could say, but i don't" in the song "Standing in the Doorway"... it makes me want to cry, it's so sad... the song itself is very sad, but the way he sings that phrase is the bottom of the barrel (in terms of sadness)... his songs are so beautiful...

if you have Time Out of Mind, i recommend listening to "Standing in the Doorway" and that phrase in particular (it comes at about 4:45 remaining in the song).. (it's track 3, btw..)

yikes... i'm going to cry now.

this thread is primarily to reflect on his genius, however... not the one song..
-di doctor-
Old 03-27-02, 05:05 PM
drc
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Bob Dylan Appreciation Thread

Originally posted by DrRingDing
i've been listening to Dylan's Time Out of Mind almost non-stop for the past few days...
Been a little depressed lately?

Great album though.

A quote I used to have in my sig:
"Dylan makes Shakespeare look like Billy Joel" - George Harrison
Old 03-27-02, 08:04 PM

give me a break, only 8 views (3 of which are mine) and 2 replies (1 of which is mine) in 3 hours of existence for a thread dedicated to somebody as monumentally important as Bob Dylan?! ridiculous.

anybody seen him in concert recently? i'm very curious what he's like onstage. does he do a lot of talking? joking around? that sort of thing? or is it more just one song after another with no talking?
-di doctor-
Old 03-28-02, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by DrRingDing

anybody seen him in concert recently? i'm very curious what he's like onstage. does he do a lot of talking? joking around? that sort of thing? or is it more just one song after another with no talking?
-di doctor-
I got to see him live in November & it was incredible. My 2nd favorite concert ever. There was NO talking. 21 songs. Almost 2 & a half hour show. No intermission or anything. They just kept going. The only talking was when he introduced his band during an extended Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 where he made some joke about his guitar player killing the Dead Sea. He starts with an acoustic block, then switched to electric, back to acoustic, electric, then a big encore. It was a good mix of older & newer, radio hits & obscurities: Tangled Up In Blue, Blowin' In The Wind, If Dogs Run Free, Where Teardrops Fall, etc. The highlights for me were High Water which was really powerful & charged along like a train & Sugar Baby -the entire sold out crowd was silent for this one & it was absolutely beautiful- from Love & Theft (they were even better than the album versions), but the older songs had just as much renewed life to them. There was no feeling of him just collecting a pay check or anything. The sound was very good. Bob's voice was excellent. He was really singing & it was easy to understand the words - even the songs I wasn't very familiar with. I was a good distance away & couldn't really see his face, but he was still great fun to watch. Lots of little dances & leg movements. He taps his foot, twists his leg, & every now & then he'll suddenly break into these hilarious Rock God stances - like knees together, toes pointing at each other. After the show I became an almost rabid fan & wanted to just follow him around like a Deadhead & see all his concerts.

I also saw him in 91 & he was terrible. He seemed totally uninterested & it was difficult to even tell what song they were playing. Now is a perfect time to see him if you get the chance. I think he tours Europe next month.
Old 03-28-02, 03:35 AM

i'm primarily pissed that i missed it when he toured with paul simon. dear god would that have been incredible. frankly, i'm ashamed i didn't hunt down a ticket to any of the shows... i hope they do it again!
-di doctor-
Old 03-28-02, 04:06 AM
drc
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bob's been really performing great the past few years. I saw him twice with Paul Simon. Incredible.

Over the two shows he dueted with Paul on:
The Boxer (Bob on harp)
I Walk The Line
The Sound Of Silence (Bob on harp)
That'll Be The Day/The Wanderer
Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Bob would also tell a different (usually bad) joke as he introduced the band.
From 7/9/99:
"David Kemper is playing on the drums.
One of David's first jobs was here in Chicago.
He had a job as a waiter but he never took any tips.
He was a dumb waiter."
Old 03-28-02, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blood on the tracks is one of the most underated records of the 70's.If you like Time Out of Mind,check it out.Seen him with Tom Petty in 1986 and in Branson,Mo.in 1990.
Old 03-28-02, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Doesn't the recording industry appreciate him enough?
Old 03-28-02, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by vman69
Blood on the tracks is one of the most underated records of the 70's.
don't worry, i've given that album its fair share of listen-throughs... but i'm sort of stalling on Time Out of Mind... (although, i think i finally finished up its current personal run as a favorite by over-listening to it... or almost.. i'm going to chill on it for awhile.)

i'm also currently looking for my copy of John Wesley Harding (which i bought not too long ago) which i've misplaced.. which is a rare thing for me..

thanks for the suggestion, anyway!
-di doctor-