Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Piano Books

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-03, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piano Books

I have always wanted to play piano/keyboard and I finally got a keyboard but am quite defecient on how to read music and do not know much about specific keys and so on. I can't afford lessons but was wondering if anyone could recommend any good books to guide me along my way.
Old 01-16-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I work at a piano store, so maybe that will establish my credibility.

I suggest, since you are probably over 17, at least, Alfred's "All-in-One" piano course for adults. It is available for around $15 for just the book, but it is also available with a cd accompaniment for about $25. That's our best-selling, and tons of piano teachers prefer it to any other method book.
Old 01-17-03, 10:08 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. A couple of questions though. Is it imperative to have the cd with the book?

And what about those "Dummy Series"? I saw a PIANO FOR DUMMIES; Is this book better than something like that?

Thanks again.
Old 01-21-03, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alfred is one of the best for adults. There are other method books but many of them contain songs for children rather than adults.
Old 01-31-03, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by beckham
Thank you for the suggestion. A couple of questions though. Is it imperative to have the cd with the book?

And what about those "Dummy Series"? I saw a PIANO FOR DUMMIES; Is this book better than something like that?

Thanks again.
Sorry I waited till so late to respond. I just saw this. The cd is by no means imperative. Some people just learn better when they play along with accompaniment, and I think it probably makes it more fun.

I don't know anything about the Dummy series. We don't have them at the store.
Old 01-31-03, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have the Alfred Adult series and it is solid stuff. It does a good job balancing sight reading, dexterity and some basic theory. It's very accessible too.