Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

About Parental Advisory CDs...

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-18-02, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just wondering what a CD has to have to make it parental advisory since I got Puddle Of Mudd's CD which isn't really that bad, and is just bleeping dumb words, and I have the Nickelback CD which has lots of bad words but it's not PA... I was just wondering, if you know, please write back.
Old 03-18-02, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

...it's just bleeping dumb words
Uh, maybe because some parents don't want their kids to always listen to "just bleeping dumb words". I mean, I am going to be careful about this when I have kids.
Old 03-18-02, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think it is manditory. It is done by savvy marketers to increase sales.
Old 03-19-02, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's required. I don't know by who, but you can thank Tipper Gore for it back in the later half of 1992. Before then, only the most hardcore and vulgar cds had some kind of warning, like Eazy E cds hehe.
Old 03-20-02, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I work in a record store and we see stuff with advisorys that shouldn't have them and plenty that don't that should.

These days the focus is more on obscene and negative material, not neccessarily the 4 letter words and such.

I don't know who is in charge of them or who decides but often times advisory's are not there and then parents get pissed at us when they return the product.
Old 03-23-02, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Apparantly it isn't required to carry one (now that I researched it) by any kind of law or anything, but the label itself is responsible for placing it on there. So basically it's required, just not by law.

I agree, I have a few cd's that have them which shouldn't, and a few that don't but probably should. For instance, when I bought Powerman 5000s Tonight the Stars Revolt cd, it didn't have one on it, but about 6 months later it all the sudden started showing up with one. The cd has ONE badword in the whole thing. On the other hand, 2 of the 3 incubus cd's I own say the F and S word multiple times in a few different songs and neither of them carry it.