Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What is your definition of Rock and Pop?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-17-02, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ask because I see all these rock bands referred to as pop. I mean NIN is not pop.
Old 03-17-02, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Pop Music- POPULAR music. Anything that gets heavy rotation on the radio/MTV. Including Creed, N'Sync and Nickelback.

Pop music doesn't have to be bad just because its popular. Personally, I don't mind Creed. They are rock too but also pop.

I don't listen to the radio or watch MTV much so I don't know where NIN would fall.

Just my opinion
Old 03-18-02, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the beatles =)
Old 03-18-02, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Musically and sonically, "Rock" and Pop have a totally different sound. First off, Rock is so vague a term, that to use it to describe music is almost useless. Technically, both NIN and Pop are "Rock Music". I can't define it specifically, so I'll need some help from the
All Music Guide.

Since you mentioned NIN, here's their main style, Hard Rock:

To some, Hard Rock and Heavy Metal are nearly interchangeable terms, since they share so many similarities. In both styles, loud, distorted guitars are prominent and the band is fronted by a lead singer who rarely plays another instrument. However, there's a key difference — Hard Rock stays true to the bluesy rock & roll of the Stones and has a certain swing in the back beat. Heavy Metal has no swing — it relies on brutal guitar riffs and pummelling rhythms.
Hard rock evolved in the late '60s, as psychedelia and blues rock began pushing the boundaries of amplification and blues-based riffs. Hard-Rock relies less on improvisation than blues-rock and it isn't as loud as heavy metal, even if it shared the same distorted guitars and long solos. In Hard Rock, it's the songs, rhythms, riffs and hooks that matter, and they should all be played as loud as possible.

Heavy Metal also derived from the shatteringly loud blues-rock and psychedelia of the late '60s. Metal sanded away most of the blues influences and leaving the powerful, loud guitar riffs. In the early '70s, heavy metal established itself as one of the most commercially successful forms of rock & roll. In the next three decades, metal adapted itself to the times and it never completely disappeared from the charts. At its core, heavy metal is an adolescent experience; teenagers — primarily white males — form the majority of its audience. Some critics dismiss metal as simplistic primal pounding. Certainly, a fair share of heavy metal is nothing but three-chord riffing, yet most metal bands place a premium on technical skill. Metal guitarists have always been innovators in technique, speed, and skill. In every subgenre of heavy metal, the guitar is the center of the music. The songs are assembled around the riff, with the gutiar solo taking prominence. By and large, heavy metal is rock & roll with all of the roll stripped away — the blues remains, but it doesn't swing. All of the rhythms are fairly rigid, almost military in origin. In every metal style, from pop-metal to thrash, bombast is the key — from the drums to the guitars, it's about being as loud as possible.

==

And this is Pop:

Pop/Rock is a catchall phrase, referring to nearly any pop music made after rock & roll was absorbed into the pop mainstream. In general, it is melodic, catchy music that relies equally on tightly constructed songs and well-crafted and produced records. Pop/Rock can refer to anything from the Everly Brothers and the Beatles to Madonna and Crowded House.