Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Corrs Appreciation Thread

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-11-02, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think there's about 4 Corrs fans on DVDTalk, but I bring them up because their "Live In Dublin" CD comes out tomorrow (most places will have it for sale at $11.99, with Target the lowest at $11.88).

The Live In Dublin CD features a couple of duet between Andrea and Bono (U2), and Ronnie Wood (Rolling Stones) pops in with his guitar on a few cuts as well. There's 11 cuts on the CD, running time is just under 45 minutes. This is like one of those MTV Unplugged recordings, but it's done with VH1 this time. The Corrs are backed by an orchestra too. There should be a DVD of this performance out one of these months.

Here's a link where you can watch the video for the 1st song on the CD (Would You Be Happier), click the "film footage" icon and then select Windows Media Player or Real Player for the streaming file to be viewed.
Old 03-11-02, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make that 5 if you didn't count me before.

I was somewhat dissappointed in their last studio album though.
Old 03-11-02, 11:52 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
Obligatory Pictures...
Old 03-11-02, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, Caroline looks absolutely smashing in that photo (from their In Blue album IIRC).

And just a reminder that VH1 will be airing this concert on 3/14/02 at 9 p.m. EST, with a replay on 3/17/02 (but I forgot the time). They will also be appearing on The Today Show 3/15/02, and the Rosie show on 3/18/02.
Old 03-11-02, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I didn't even know about this release.
Old 03-11-02, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That why I'm here: to spread the good news!

I was able to listen to the VH1 album at their Atlantic website on Saturday night before they closed up the "hole" and there's not a clunker on the album.

The duets with Andrea and Bono are well done, and actually sent some shivers down my spine for some odd reason.
Old 03-11-02, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have liked them ever since I heard an advanced copy of Forgiven Not Forgotten back in 1995.

I have had the VH1 Live disc for a while now (download) and it's pretty good. Never saw the concert though.
Old 03-12-02, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok I like the Corrs and I've seen them live but they really make me see red. When are we going to get some new stuff? Why all the re releases, best of's and unplugged surely as fans we deserve not to have to buy the same stuff rehashed! Ok, I've clamed down now.
Old 03-12-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Supposedly it'll be a fall release for their new album (with lots of new material).
Old 03-12-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why I like the Corrs:

I'm a recent fan of the Corrs, probably within the last 4-6 months. I haven't been this big a fan of a musical grounp in a long time, and it feels good to be a fan of this group because they are the real deal. They aren't a bunch of propped up "music" acts, they actually have musical talents and can play their instruments because they are musicians. They also write their own songs for the most part, or collaborate.

I think the thing that got my attention was their use of violin in their songs. I'm a sucker for the violin used in pop/rock songs, and when I heard Sharon Corr's violin, I knew I had to find out more about this band.

I think the first time I heard of the Corrs was with their "In Blue" album which I picked up used at a CD shop on the advice of another big fan of the Corrs. I heard "Breathless" and I was hooked on Andrea's vocals, and then Sharon's violin, Jim's guitar/keyboards, and Caroline's percussion. There's nothing sexier than a female drummer who can drum well and look like she's having a blast playing them.

Then I check out their other 2 albums, "Forgiven Not Forgotten" and "Talk On Corners". I think FNF is still their strongest album, lyrically, though they have gotten a little too slick with "In Blue".

I think the song "Forgiven Not Forgotten" in one hauntingly terrific song, and so is "Runaway.

I would also agree that in terms of concert videos, I'd rank "Lansdowne Rd" their best one, then "Royal Albert Hall" and finally "Live in London" which is simply too slickly produce, but still a wonderful performance.

After downloading many of their interviews, and the 3-part documentary (The Right Time), it's been fun getting to know a band that isn't a one-hit wonder, nor a trashy type of band, but rather very pleasant and somewhat wholesome, though Andrea does like to show her butt to the concert crowds lately.

The Irish influence of the band hasn't quite gone away, and when they are on their game, their live performances are something to see and hear.
Old 03-14-02, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just a bump to remind Corrs fans of the Live In Dublin concert on VH1 tonight at 9 p.m. EST.
Old 03-15-02, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My comments on the VH1 "Live In Dublin" show:

Well, that was GREAT!!!

They changed up the song order (from the CD), and VH1 couldn't fit "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" within the hour-long concert with the commercials.

The footage was a combo of the live performance in front of the crowd and the rehearsal beforehand. Some of the things said in the concert were actually rehearsal sayings (maybe to stitch all the segments together).

The guest spots with Ronnie Wood and Bono were pretty good, and you could tell they adored their guests and their performances.

All in all, a fun hour with The Corrs!

This concert will be shown again on March 17th at 1 p.m. EST on VH1 (if you missed it last night).

Today they did a couple of songs "Breathless" and "Would You Be Happier" on NBC's Today Show outside in New York City. They may do some more songs by the end of the show (but I don't know for sure).
Old 03-15-02, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Add me to the list. And thank you for the rerun date and CD info.
Old 03-15-02, 10:02 AM

was able to catch the concert at vh1 last night too...
overall it was okay...just noticed that andrea was pretty still through out the concert...(what happened to those sexy moves girl!)
and those camera shots where like right on your face...most of them where like close up shots...
man you can even see the hair in bono's nose!
i even got dizzy with the breathless song since the camera kept panning around and around and around!

the concert was just under an hour...and it wasn't enough...kept me longing for more...so i fired up my live in london dvd DTS

bently

Last edited by BENTLY; 03-15-02 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-15-02, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Heh, the only time Andrea shook her booty towards the crowd was on their last song, "So Young". I noticed that she likes doing that in the Live In London concert.

I blame their lack of movement on the confined space they were playing in, plus the strange placement of all of the band members (almost like facing one another in a diamond configuration).

I also wanted more! I almost fired up my Lansdowne Rd. DVD. But I started on converting the video tape of the Live In Dublin to MPEG so I can burn it on a VCD.