Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Mistake: Going to Best Buy to buy ...Trail of Dead

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-02-02, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, yesterday, I went to Best Buy in hopes of finding a cheap copy of the Source Codes and Tags album by ...And You'll Know Us By the Trail of Dead. I have seen enough good reviews and hints from people on this board that it seemed like an essential album.

Well, I looked under A, nothing. I looked under Trail, nothing. At this point I decided that Best Buy was essentially worthless. This is on Interscope Records and ought to be there. So, I went to see if possibly they had The Microphones, again there was nothing. By now I was frustrated, so I told my friends that we should go to one of the independent record stores.

We were walking down an aisle and I noticed a cd, so I went and looked. Well, right next to it was Trail of Dead filed under, you guessed it, Source Codes and Tags.

This shows how little Best Buy knows about music. Being a good patron, I went to talk to the music guy to let him know their silly mistake. I wasn't angry, but I want the 20ish copies they have to sell. The employees face was disinterested as I told the story, which was confirmed with the intelligent, "So what?" response. "So, you should probably file it the same way everything else is filed." "I don't have anything to do with where they get filed." "Then leave a note for whomever does." "Whatever," and he walked off.

Sheesh. So, when I left I saw a manager and let him know the problem about where it was filed. When I told him the bands actual name he replied with, "well, then that makes a little more sense, doesn't it?" Why? Because the name is longer than three words?

At least I was able to purchase the cd for $9.99
Old 03-02-02, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alyoshka, you and the Best Buy employees are wrong. It should be filed under ..., not .. or ., but most definately under ....
Old 03-02-02, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Mistake: Going to Best Buy to buy ...Trail of Dead

Originally posted by Alyoshka
"So what?"
Old 03-02-02, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hell - at least your Best Buy actually had a copy. I went through the same BS at my local BB last Tuesday. I searched under every possible letter I could think to look -- even searching under "Source Codes and Tags" -- and came away with nada.

And this is from the same Best Buy where they have Add N to X's recent album under "Avant Harde".

At least you got it for $9.99. I paid through the nose to pick it up at Tower.
Old 03-03-02, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
Alyoshka, you and the Best Buy employees are wrong. It should be filed under ..., not .. or ., but most definately under ....
Ah! that is true. didn't even think about looking under either "..." or "Ellipses and you'll know us..." Possibly I'll drive back to BB and let them know it should be filed under either of those.
Old 03-03-02, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by grunter
At least you got it for $9.99. I paid through the nose to pick it up at Tower.
I actually only paid $8.99 for it at Tower...and I bought it on Tuesday too.
Old 03-03-02, 10:05 AM

I too went to Best Buy on Tuesday afternoon looking for this album. When I couldn't find it under any number of names i looked under I asked an employee. She said that she put out all the new releases that day and there nothing with that name. But right in front of here was a cart full of overstock, I searched it and found two copies of the album. She responded with 'Oh'. But it was 9.99 and I was happy.
Old 03-04-02, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Gdrlv

I actually only paid $8.99 for it at Tower...and I bought it on Tuesday too.
Really? Crap. Crap. Crap. I got totally hosed. My copy cost me $15.99.

Old 03-04-02, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Those of you that picked this up, what are your thoughts on it? Oh, and my review is up at Flakmag.com if anyone wants to check that out, see if we agree.
Old 03-04-02, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by Yancey
Those of you that picked this up, what are your thoughts on it? Oh, and my review is up at Flakmag.com if anyone wants to check that out, see if we agree.
I really, really enjoy it. I would like to thank everyone who recommended it, because I doubt I would have picked it up if it weren't for all the rave reviews. I didn't care much for their earlier releases, but "Source Tags and Codes" is great. It's just further proof that signing to a major label, like Jawbox did, can sometimes lead to beautiful things.
Old 03-04-02, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Yancey
Upon first listen I didn't like it too much. Now, as I walk across campus, I listen over and over with headphones. That really has helped me to see how dense this music was made. It is very interesting and well done.
Old 03-06-02, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Found it today at BB under "Trail ....".