Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Synthpop Goes The World (synthpop festival)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 02-27-02, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who are interested in the synthpop/ebm/electronic genre, the largest festival in North America dedicated to these styles is being held in Toronto on the weekend of June 28-30.

http://www.synthpopgoestheworld.com

Currently the bands who have signed on to perform are:

Assemblage 23
Beborn Beton
Cosmicity
Covenant
Die Roboter
Melotron
New Clear Sky
Psyche
Red Flag

Apparently, there have been some rumours that Apoptygma Berzerk, Echo Image and VNV Nation may join the growing list of bands performing. Drool!

Frankly, I think it's about time that a festival like this is being held here in North America - some of the bands involved have never even played here before! I am just salivating at the opportunity to spend the Canada Day weekend there - hell, I live about 35 mins from Toronto, so it's a totally golden opportunity for me.

Personally, I'm really hoping that they'll invite some bands like De/Vision, Seabound, Wolfsheim and Project Pitchfork to fill out the roster. But even if they can't, the current list is stellar!

Thoughts? Comments?

Cheers,

-matt
Old 02-27-02, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Synthpop Goes The World (synthpop festival)

Originally posted by raithen

Currently the bands who have signed on to perform are:

Assemblage 23
Beborn Beton
Cosmicity
Covenant
Die Roboter
Melotron
New Clear Sky
Psyche
Red Flag

Thoughts? Comments?

Cheers,

-matt
Gee, I've never heard of *any* of these bands What is the Synthpop sound like anyway? Can you think of other, more mainstream bands that have this sound, or am I way off base here? Thanky.

-Gunshy
Old 02-27-02, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Synthpop Goes The World (synthpop festival)

Originally posted by Gunshy
Gee, I've never heard of *any* of these bands What is the Synthpop sound like anyway? Can you think of other, more mainstream bands that have this sound, or am I way off base here? Thanky.
Synthpop is a genre that is quite underground here in North America - so it's not surprising you haven't heard of any of these bands. Unfortunately, they get very little (if any!) airplay around these parts but they have quite a following in Europe, albeit they are considered "Alternative" even there.

That being said, here's a list of a few bands that have a similar sound that you have no doubt heard stuff from:

Depeche Mode
Duran Duran
Erasure
New Order
Pet Shop Boys

Now think about the above bands mixed with elements of Nine Inch Nails, Underworld, Paul Oakenfold, The Prodigy, et al.

Some of it is very "poppy" (Echo Image, De/vision), some of it has a real edge (Seabound, Apoptygma Berzerk) to it. Think dance/club music with substance.

Hard to explain in words... if you get a chance, check out some of the bands I've listed. It's not for everyone, but it should be...

-matt
Old 02-28-02, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My brother already has got tickets for this show. I will go if Apop or VNV Nation show up. Apop is cool, but their last cd is the worst on that they have put out I.M.O.

If they do decide to add De/Vision, Wolfsheim and Project Pitchfork you can bet the bank that I will be there. Wolfsheim is a god!
Old 02-28-02, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tjr2mental
My brother already has got tickets for this show. I will go if Apop or VNV Nation show up. Apop is cool, but their last cd is the worst on that they have put out I.M.O.

Are you kidding? Welcome To Earth is stunning! Wow! I guess I can see how some might prefer Seven, but surely it's a step up from Soli Deo Gloria!

To each his/her own I guess!

If they do decide to add De/Vision, Wolfsheim and Project Pitchfork you can bet the bank that I will be there. Wolfsheim is a god!
I've already got my ticket. Assemblage 23 and Covenant alone are almost worth the price of admission. That being said, I doubt De/vision will make it (do those guys ever leave Germany?) but I have a gut feel that VNV Nation will be there.

I'm looking forward to hearing who they eventually sign for the rest of the slots - but suffice it to say, I'm convinced that even if they couldn't get any others down to Toronto, that the festival will kick much a$$!

Cheers,

-matt

PS: Wolfsheim's last album is among the best synthpop releases I have ever heard. "Kuenstliche Welten" is simply breathtaking...
Old 02-28-02, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: Synthpop Goes The World (synthpop festival)

Synthpop is a genre that is quite underground here in North America - so it's not surprising you haven't heard of any of these bands.

[snip]

That being said, here's a list of a few bands that have a similar sound that you have no doubt heard stuff from:

Depeche Mode
Duran Duran
Erasure
New Order
Pet Shop Boys

Now think about the above bands mixed with elements of Nine Inch Nails, Underworld, Paul Oakenfold, The Prodigy, et al.

[snip]

Hard to explain in words... if you get a chance, check out some of the bands I've listed. It's not for everyone, but it should be...

-matt
Heythanx! I had a feeling that was something like the description I might get but I wasn't sure. Hmm, hints of Oakenfold, Underworld? I guess I will have to check some 'o' these bands out. Man! And I just weaned myself off of buying any more Stoner CDs for a while (yes, I have eclectic tastes, thankyewverymuch)

-Gunshy
Old 03-01-02, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've already got my ticket. Assemblage 23 and Covenant alone are almost worth the price of admission. That being said, I doubt De/vision will make it (do those guys ever leave Germany?) but I have a gut feel that VNV Nation will be there.

I'm looking forward to hearing who they eventually sign for the rest of the slots - but suffice it to say, I'm convinced that even if they couldn't get any others down to Toronto, that the festival will kick much a$$!

Cheers,

-matt

PS: Wolfsheim's last album is among the best synthpop releases I have ever heard. "Kuenstliche Welten" is simply breathtaking...
Yea, KW was the reason that I started to listen to this type of music. In fact, Spectators in playng in my track at the moment. It is by far one of the best cd's that I have ever bought.

My brother is really into the synthpop scene, and seeing how his ex has his pc, he is using mine. I have will over 3000 songs on it now.

As for Apop, yes... there are some cool tracks on the new cd, but for over all listening pleasure I have to go with their older stuff. Oh.. and you got me on the Soli Deo Gloria. I spoke to soon I guess.

C-tec is really catching me now. They have some really good stuff out there. I love the track She Left, (french version)
Old 03-01-02, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Duran Duran is synthpop? Synthpop?? Methinks not. Maybe one or two of their songs have a bit of a synthy sound (The Chauffer springs to mind), but mostly they are a run of the mill 80s teeny bopper band. I like them, but never considered them synthpop.

But I lurrrve Red Flag.

I'd love to see some other bands in that lineup such as
Seven Red Seven
De/Vision (sort of Depeche Mode Lite)
Sirpaul
and maybe even Gary Numan since he's been touring lately anyway.
Old 03-02-02, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mllefoo
Duran Duran is synthpop? Synthpop?? Methinks not. Maybe one or two of their songs have a bit of a synthy sound (The Chauffer springs to mind), but mostly they are a run of the mill 80s teeny bopper band. I like them, but never considered them synthpop.
Oh, I beg to differ! Their early material is certainly synthpop. Come on, tracks like "Planet Earth", "Hungry Like The Wolf", "Rio"... even "The Reflex" fit under the umbrella of synthpop. Sure, not all of their material fits nice and cleanly in the genre - but then I wouldn't consider Songs Of Faith And Devotion by DM to be in the genre. Some bands can't really be pinned down to one specific genre, but I feel in the case of Duran Duran you'd be crazy to not consider them largely synthpop (at least the 80s incarnation of the band). While they did use other instruments, they are at least a hybrid brand between glam rock and synthpop.

Suffice it to say, I'm sure if you did a few searches on the net for synthpop and DD you'd find more than a few links. I'm not crazy damnit! hehe...

But I lurrrve Red Flag.

I'd love to see some other bands in that lineup such as
Seven Red Seven
De/Vision (sort of Depeche Mode Lite)
Sirpaul
and maybe even Gary Numan since he's been touring lately anyway.
I'm not a fan of Red Flag, but the others you listed are pretty decent - especiall De/vision who I do not consider Depeche Lite. Perhaps with earlier albums, but recently the band has taken a more edgy turn with their last two releases, while DM has taken a more mellow approach. And let us not forget that Depeche weren't exactly the anti-thesis of lite when they first started. It really wasn't until Some Great Reward that we started to see hints of darkness...

Gunshy: I'm not saying the bands I listed necessarily sound like Underworld, Oakenfold, et al. but there are elements within the music that are very familiar in many cases.

I suggest checking out these bands (with some song recommendations):

Apoptygma Berzerk ("Eclipse", "Kathy's Song", "Mourn")
Assemblage 23 ("Purgatory", "Disappint", "I Am The Rain")
De/vision ("Blue Moon", "Remember", "Try To Forget")
Echo Image ("Need To Be Proud", "Skulk", "Listen To The Stars")
Seabound ("Exorcise", "Dunnocks", "Hooked")
Wolfsheim ("Kuenstliche Welten", "Once In A Lifetime", "The Sparrows And The Nightengales")
VNV Nation ("Airships", "Solitary, "Dark Angel")

tjr2mental: Apoptygma Berzerk just released a new album, Harmonizer. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but the first single, "Until The End Of The World" is pretty sweet.

C-Tec is pretty decent. The first two albums in particular. "Stateless", "Epitaph", "The Lost", "Let Your Body Die" and "Human" are stellar tracks. I'm not a huge fan of their last album though. But anything with Jean Luc Demeyer (Front 242 rocks!) at lead vocals will automatically grab my attention!

Cheers!

-matt