Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the best portable MP3 player for exercise?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 02-25-02, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need to buy my girlfriend an MP3 player that is exercise friendly...

I can't believe their aren't more out there that cater to runners, etc.

CAN YOU RECOMMEND TO ME THE BEST ONE OUT THERE?

Price is not an issue, only small size and memory is important to me.

suggestions?
Old 02-26-02, 08:55 AM

anyone know?
Old 02-26-02, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Rio500 is good and I use it when I exercise. It's small, fits easily in my pocket and it's got 64MB of memory. I added in another 64MB card for 128MB total. That fits about 2 albums, maybe a little more.
Old 02-26-02, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the Rio500 as well and it works great from when I work out. It's only 3.5 X 2.25 X .75 inches so it is pretty small. Sound and memory are great, it displays song and has backlighting so you can easily see it at night. If price isn't an object, you could probably find something better, but this is a great player.
Old 02-27-02, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You might want to look into a minidisc player. I bought the Sony R700 with a digital PC link and it blows every mp3 player within that price range away. I got it for 185 on ebay sealed with a power adapter, rechargeable battery, headphones, stick remote, and the optical link.

THe only reason I mention this is because of the MDLP option. I bought one for my girlfriend as well, and at LP4, you can fit over 5 hours on one disc. It is probably equal to about a 96bps mp3, but a lot of people could care less ( i am not one of them).

At LP2 there is literally almost no discernable difference. It fits about 2 and a half hours on a disc. You can label all the tracks and stuff too if you like that.

The only real downside to MD is that you can't write to them any faster than realtime. Well actually the new ones you can, but they are expensive and the technology hasn't progressed enough to make a difference (only 2x faster with the LP modes apparently)

Anyway, just my 2 cents hehe.
Old 02-27-02, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the Samsung Yepp MP3 player and it NEVER skips at all. It is also super light.

I also have a Sharp Minidisc and it does skip. So I just have it around to record concerts.
Old 02-27-02, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

One that uses a bunch of D size batteries.
Old 02-27-02, 08:54 PM

I like my Rio 600 but for excercise I would say the Nike one. It is basically a RIO but it's smaller and straps to your arm. Also has an optional remote thingy for it and should come with 64 mb. I think it sells for around 200.
Old 02-28-02, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm looking for a MP3 player for exercise myself. I have found that the RCA RD2211 Lyra 2 64 MB Digital Audio Player is the best MP3 player for my needs. It comes with a 64 MB compact flash card and you can buy a 256 MB compact flash card for $100.00 at Amazon.
Old 02-28-02, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just ordered an MPIO DMK this week. It comes with a necklace-type strap, an arm strap, and a belt clip, and 128 MB of memory (non expandable, but do you really need more for working out)? It's 30 grams, about the size of a lipstick applicator, goes for 10 hours on a single AAA, and retails for $209. The sound is excellent on the older DMG, and should be as good on this one.

I'll let you know how it works after I get it tomorrow.
Old 02-28-02, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Lateralus
I'm looking for a MP3 player for exercise myself. I have found that the RCA RD2211 Lyra 2 64 MB Digital Audio Player is the best MP3 player for my needs. It comes with a 64 MB compact flash card and you can buy a 256 MB compact flash card for $100.00 at Amazon.
I am still seriously considering this unit as it seems to be one of the few that uses compact flash which I use for my digicam already and now that they have just come out with a 1Gb compact flash card... Yea, I know who needs *that* much music? I do! I don't want to have to rotate songs all the time, I just want to load up a boatload ripped at 128Kbs and forget about it for a while.

From what I saw of it I thought the Lyra was kind of "big" - considering how tiny some of the new MP3 players seem to be. Perhaps thats the price of being able to use compact flash cards(?)

Oh, and how much did you pay, IYDMMA?

-Gunshy
Old 03-01-02, 01:13 AM

Wow...I'm surprised no one's mentioned this before but how about that Sony "pen-stick" thing...don't know the memory or how much but looks lightweight and cool...especially in that alien commercial they had awhile back...I think...

Anyways, I actually have the Iomega HipZip mp3/Windows Media files player....came w/ 2 40MB PocketZip discs...w/ a build in Lithium Ion battery that last 12hrs on continuous play....anyways....I personally think it's too heavy and may not hold enuff music for a good workout....soooo, I think my suggestion is of no help to u soo I'm gonna shut the hell up now. Lates.

Last edited by vu_quy; 03-03-02 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-02-02, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you have a Mac, Apple's Ipod holds 5 gigs and is pretty small too.