Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Good Lord! Take a look at the album charts this week!!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Good Lord! Take a look at the album charts this week!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-02, 01:03 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Morf
Let me get up on my soapbox.

Popular music is nothing more than food for the ignorant massses that don't realize there is music other than what is on the airwaves. Don't let the radio DJs and the MTV wanna-be teenagers tell you what to like. Go to the CD store and buy 3 CDs from bands you've never heard of before. That is the only way you will discover new music.
....but like J-to-the Lo is sooo pretty and can dance so awesome..
Old 02-15-02, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the CD store and buy 3 CDs from bands you've never heard of before. That is the only way you will discover new music.
Nah, but that's a good way to throw away money. Discovering new music is what file sharing is all about.

...well, it's really all about pirating, but this is what is should really be about.
Old 02-15-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
I hope none of you complainers are having sex.

The masses are having sex and it's very popular.

Of course, this means you want no part of it.
Old 02-15-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Apparently, attempts at cleverness are popular too.
Old 02-15-02, 03:23 PM
Suspended

Apparently, attempts at cleverness are popular too.
Old 02-15-02, 03:30 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by GuessWho
I hope none of you complainers are having sex.

Of course, this means you want no part of it.
1st of all thats the most lame argument I have ever heard in awhile.

2nd, the reason the mass amount of people like MTV garbage, is because that is what is spoon fed to them all the time.

Thank god I actually have a brain and dont go by the standards of the masses
Old 02-15-02, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just because something is popular doesn't mean its crap. And just because something is popular doesn't mean its good either.

If you like that pop stuff (nsync, j-lo, whatever).. then more power to you. Sorry, but I just can't relate though, cause I find their music horrible.

But to be honest... its hard for me to relate to someone who has vastly different music tastes than I do. And, as much as I hate music elitism... I sometimes fall into that --- mostly because I think people who ONLY listen to that Top-40 "crap" must be musically ignorant. I try to stop myself from passing too much judgment though, because I can't stand when people try to assume their taste in: movies, music, art, etc. is superiour to someones elses... and they are somehow "enlightened". Again, I admit that I fall into that trap sometimes, but I don't like when I do.

I understand why people attack some of these pop artists though. Most of them don't write their own songs, and they typically lip sync their live performances, while their recordings are highly polished. Other than, perhaps a good voice, and maybe a few dance moves, its hard to consider a lot of these acts as talented. They are usually marketed on their looks or charisma rather than their musical ability.

Whereas, bands who are highly innovative and influential to the various music scenes are often ignored by the masses.

But you know what? Not everyone wants to hear something new. Not everyone wants to hear complex melodies and experimental musical styles. Some people just want a song with a nice rhythm thats easy to sing along with. Hey, whatever floats your boat.

Old 02-15-02, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MJKTool

Thank god I actually have a brain and dont go by the standards of the masses
Yeah, the masses never support really good artists.

Of course if you look at the top five from May of last year it would be:
Tool-Lateralus 552,222
Missy Elliot-So Addictive 251,000
Destiny's Child-Survivor 222,000
Weezer-Weezer 215,000
Janet Jackson-All For You 150,000

Tool must suck twice as much as Missy Elliot, since they sold twice as many CD's in there opening week. everybody knows that if the "masses" support it, it must suck.

I hate when I buy a CD and it later goes Platinum, it would be fine if it stalled at like 900,000 copies, but once it hits platinum I get rid of it to make sure I can't be accused of being one of the "masses". Sure I may miss out on listening to music that I might like, but how can I worry about that when I have to deal with the evil "masses" who are always trying to corrupt me with their catchy songs.
Old 02-15-02, 07:29 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by slappypete
Yeah, the masses never support really good artists.
everybody knows that if the "masses" support it, it must suck.
Wrong.

Thats not what I was saying....good try tho trying to twist my wording around like that tho slappy

Look if you wanna think that the likes of Britney Spears, N*Synch, Destinys Child, J-to-tha LO, Limp Bizkit or whoever the hell is the new flavor of the day on TRL are more musically talented than bands or artists that put their blood sweat and tears into their music....then more power to ya.

A comment such as.....your music is no better than theirs, kinda riles me up knowing that these so called artists, if you can call em that, dont even write their own music or lyrics...and are basically are there to dance and look pretty.
Old 02-15-02, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
basically are there to dance and look pretty.
Entertainers entertaining people?

What will they think of next?
Old 02-15-02, 11:21 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by GuessWho
Entertainers entertaining people?

What will they think of next?
Thats fine....performing artists is what they are.....musicians they are not
Old 02-16-02, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thats fine....performing artists is what they are.....musicians they are not
agree with ya there, I remember watching O-town of all people in an interview, and one of the little pansies of the group mumbled that they were musicians, I nearly pissed myself when he said that.
Old 02-16-02, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There has always been a difference between art and entertainment - art is there to challenge the mind, to make people see things differently and to think differently. Entertainment is there to distract people - to make them not think about themselves and their troubles for a while. You could argue that art is just distraction too - but at least your mind is working when you're avoiding your problems
Old 02-16-02, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
I would rather listen to: Looks Like We Made It, Ready To Take A Chance, Ships, Somewhere Down The Road, Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again, Weekend In New England, & The Old Songs.

These songs are 100 times better than most of the crap out on the Top 40 in the past few years.
Old 02-16-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most people don't get into indie bands because it requires effort. You have to listen to many different bands and do a little work.

I used to listen to the rock/alternative radio station in high school and thought the way a lot of you do about the "music elitists." Then I listened to some really amazing indie bands and said, "What the hell have I been listening to all this time?"

Personally, I don't even remember the last time I listened to the radio or watched MTV, and I am ever so slowly falling completely out of touch with popular music. I couldn't be happier.
Old 02-17-02, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ziggy
There has always been a difference between art and entertainment - art is there to challenge the mind, to make people see things differently and to think differently. Entertainment is there to distract people - to make them not think about themselves and their troubles for a while. You could argue that art is just distraction too - but at least your mind is working when you're avoiding your problems
Art is not always there to "challenge" the mind. Art is an expression - whether it is intellectual and structured, or non-representational and emotive (or whatever) - it is there to simply express the ideas and/or the emotions of the artist.

Art can be entertainment.

Entertainment can be art.

When people start drawing lines between what is "art" and what is "trash" we enter The Elitist Zone.

-matt

PS: That all being said, DodgingCars excellent post!
Old 02-17-02, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by DodgingCars

I understand why people attack some of these pop artists though. Most of them don't write their own songs, and they typically lip sync their live performances, while their recordings are highly polished. Other than, perhaps a good voice, and maybe a few dance moves, its hard to consider a lot of these acts as talented. They are usually marketed on their looks or charisma rather than their musical ability.

Whereas, bands who are highly innovative and influential to the various music scenes are often ignored by the masses.

This is exactly what irritates me about popular "musicians" (generally). IMO, a real musical artist writes his own music and lyrics (if there are lyrics).

Radio play: Anyone who knows a little bit about music/theory can write a pop song. One of these consists basically of four chords which are repeated throughout the song. To be considered an artist, I also think that the writer should come up with his/her own lyrics. It seems a bit ridiculous to me to watch a "musician" sing whom you KNOW did not write the words he/she is so passionately belting out.

A good example of this is Britney Spears on Saturday Night Live a couple of weeks ago. She sat on her stool looking very moved by the words she was singing ("I'm not a girl"), and I knew fully well that she didn't write those words. *snicker* What rot!

On another note, I understand GuessWho's point. People have different tastes, and those who aren't that into music will listen to whatever is on the radio. These people do not think they are being deceived as to what "true" music is; moreover, they don't give a damn. They just listen to what's on the radio.
This is fine. People are different, and their tastes in music can be just as individual as the people, themselves. That doesn't mean they should be condemned for their tastes. On the other hand, I sometimes find that people who listen to certain kinds of music lead different lifestyles, etc. than I do. I normally can relate better to someone who looks a bit more closely at music and picks apart lyrics/music and has to search further than radio play to hear songs that satisfy them.
Have I dug my hole deep enough, flamers?!
Old 02-17-02, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like the Super Bowl performances helped Manilow debut at #3 and U2 jumped 39 places to #25.
Old 02-18-02, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by Penny Lane

This is exactly what irritates me about popular "musicians" (generally). IMO, a real musical artist writes his own music and lyrics (if there are lyrics).
I think I would have to disagree with this somewhat. There are a number of bands where someone else writes the lyrics. For example, Phish has quite a few songs with lyrics written by someone not in the band.
Old 02-18-02, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree with a lot of what Dodging Cars said. I don't consider myself any kind of elitist, but I'm sure my opinions could come across like that sometime. My frustration with what is popular is that SO much good stuff goes completely ignored. I love music very much and just find it sad what people accept sometimes. I know it's all subjective and I'm not gonna bash someone for liking J-Lo, but I still don't get it.
Old 02-18-02, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by larryw

I think I would have to disagree with this somewhat. There are a number of bands where someone else writes the lyrics. For example, Phish has quite a few songs with lyrics written by someone not in the band.
I'll have to admit you've got me here, although not completely. I was stating my preferences in bands, that I prefer for the musicians to write the lyrics, too.

You've got a point, though. Even musical greats like Tchaikovsky and Stravinsky collaborated with writers on the librettos for their ballets and musicals.
Old 02-19-02, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
Most people don't get into indie bands because it requires effort. You have to listen to many different bands and do a little work.

I used to listen to the rock/alternative radio station in high school and thought the way a lot of you do about the "music elitists." Then I listened to some really amazing indie bands and said, "What the hell have I been listening to all this time?"

Personally, I don't even remember the last time I listened to the radio or watched MTV, and I am ever so slowly falling completely out of touch with popular music. I couldn't be happier.
Oh yesh!

-Gunshy