Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Live performances question. Jonatha Brooke

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 01-30-02, 07:46 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a list of about 5 people that I want to see live.

Of those, I have gotten to see 2, Alanis Morissette and Garbage.

My list remains of Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan solo(I saw her at Lilith Fair and while she was good, it wasn't a full experinence) and Jonatha Brooke.

I will be seeing Jonatha Brooke in a couple weeks in New York.. Has anyone seen her live? I have a couple songs that she recorded live, in addition to her Live cd. And it sounds like she is very good in concert.

Thanks.

I've been listening to her for about 7 years I think... Ever since Angel in the House and Plumb (though those were done with the Story).

She has a great voice and has lots of folk roots in her music.

If you haven't heard of her yet, I highly recommend checking her out. I think you can listen to some clips off her website, www.jonathabrooke.com.
Old 01-30-02, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jonatha is one of the finest live performers I've ever seen. I've seen her three times this year: an in-store acoustic performance at Borders in Atlanta, then twice with her band in Nashville and Knoxville. On all three ocassions I've had the chance to talk to her briefly after the show. She always goes out of her way to chat with fans. I think it's her favorite part of the job. Bring a camera and she'll gladly pose for a photo or two with you.

She is obviously having the time of her life when she's on stage. She often tells stories between songs and will ocassionally carry on conversations with people in the audience. Vryce, I can't tell much about you from your post, but if you're attracted to women, you will likely be infatuated with Jonatha by the end of the show. My wife now refers to her as "Darren's imaginary girlfriend."

And just wait until she plays "Crumbs" and "No Better." Transcendent.
Old 01-30-02, 08:14 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet.. Thanks Darren.

I am really looking forward to this show.

Unfortunetly the venue I will see her at doesn't allow camers. Though I still may take one and see if I can get a picture with her after the show.

I hope that she plays a good mix of tunes that span all her cds.. Though I really love Steady Pull, I'm wanting to hear some of the older stuff.... I got my friend from NY hooked on her and she ran out and bought all Jonatha's cds.

I think one of my favorite songs from her is Is This All.... And I got the chance to listen to her song Dog Dreams. Talk about a fun song..

I'll let you know what I think of the show after I see it.
Old 01-30-02, 02:24 PM

Jonatha is outstanding. Ive seen her three times here in Pittsburgh. Chalk her up as another artist that will NEVER get the recognition that is deserved.
Old 01-31-02, 08:18 AM

It will be interesting to see if she begins to earn some of that recognition this year. She (or, her voice) will be featured prominently in Disney's upcoming sequel to Peter Pan. If nothing else, I hope Disney sells enough tickets and CDs to help subsidize the costs of Jonatha's future solo albums. You gotto root for the independent underdogs.

Vryce, Jonatha's been playing a pretty broad selection of material, new and old, but, of course, she's promoting Steady Pull. I never really cared for the title track until I heard it live. She has a really tight, funky band backing her.