Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

This week's open letter to a band: Pearl Jam

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

This week's open letter to a band: Pearl Jam

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-02, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Flashback

Of course you do know who Creed is said to be a copycat of?

I may not like PJ anymore, but comparing someones taste to
horseshit is dumb. He gets something out of the Crue and you
get something out of PJ
FWIW, I wasn't the one who compard someone's taste to horseshit, which is what I assume you were getting at in your response to my actual quote.

I hate when people act like their taste is far superior to someone else's taste. Just don't want to give the impression that this is what I am doing, because I'm not.

Also, I think that the only similarities between Creed and PJ are the voice inflections of the singers. The quality of the music and lyrics, IMHO, isn't anywhere near the same.

If you want to say that they are similar, that is your opinion, but you can then replace Creed with Limp Bizkit, N*Sync or a number of other bands and still come to the point I was trying to make.

The point was that popularity and quality are two totally different things.

BTW, I don't really mind Motley Crue that much
Old 01-29-02, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Pearl Jam,

I'm sure you guys are aware of an astonishingly crappy cover band of yours called "Creed" that is currently polluting the airwaves. Could you please find a way to put a stop to this.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-02, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by DTSC
My only gripe with Pearl Jam's releasing of the live shows they put out last year was the price of the CDs. They put out the CDs to cut back on the people that were selling bootlegs of the shows but in turn, they made too much of a profit on them themselves. It would have been nice to have the CDs be sold for $5-6.
Really?

I thought the bootleg releases were very fairly-priced. I bought five of the two-disc sets, and paid somewhere around $10-11 for each one. Also picked up the three-disc Seattle show, which was right around $15-16. I'm pretty sure all of the discs are 70 minutes plus--pretty much at their full capacity. A three-disc set, thirty songs, over three hours of music, for about $16--that comes out to a little more than five bucks each disc.

Compare that to something like Weezer's green album, where you're getting around 30 minutes of music for $12 (or more), and the Pearl Jam boots are a really great deal. They could have charged a lot more than they did, for the sheer amount of music they released.
Old 01-29-02, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Virex

Really?

I thought the bootleg releases were very fairly-priced. I bought five of the two-disc sets, and paid somewhere around $10-11 for each one. Also picked up the three-disc Seattle show, which was right around $15-16. I'm pretty sure all of the discs are 70 minutes plus--pretty much at their full capacity. A three-disc set, thirty songs, over three hours of music, for about $16--that comes out to a little more than five bucks each disc.

Compare that to something like Weezer's green album, where you're getting around 30 minutes of music for $12 (or more), and the Pearl Jam boots are a really great deal. They could have charged a lot more than they did, for the sheer amount of music they released.
But the point of releasing bootlegs was not for commercial profit (so they say) -- it was to keep unauthorized pricks from selling illegally recorded copies of their shows.

I wanted to own every bootleg possible. But as soon as I saw the $10-17 price tag for every show, I immediately decided against it. It'd cost you a pretty penny to collect them all. Instead, I only purchased the show I went to (Portland). If they charged $4.99 a disc, I would have slowly purchased each and every one of them to collect them all -- and I'm sure many more would have as well.
Old 01-30-02, 12:06 AM

Motley Crue? Just another dime-a-dozen hair-band with little song writing talent and musicianship.
Like most hair-bands of the 80's, the Crue must be embarrassed by looking back on their "career".>>

Another dime a dozen?? Holy cow do you need music education..
Its like calling Black Sabbath a dime a dozen metal band..
I could see if the Crue came out around 88 or so..then fine..
But they came out in the early 80's when music was starting to become "squeaky clean" with bands like the Knack etc..
Metal was all but dead and they helped revive it..
They put on a show that wasnt scene since the hey day of KISS..
They put attitude back in rock with their punk influenced riffs and cartoonish look and lyrics..
Their influence on music and the way they lived the "rockstar life" is still being copied by bands today..

No musical talent?
Tommy Lee is prob. one of the greatest drummers to grace rock n roll..and there is just so much more than that..I could be here for hours..

If you think Nikki Sixx has no song writing talent go buy "Generation Swine", the self titled 1994 Crue CD, and 58-Diet for a new america..
Old 01-30-02, 12:08 AM

Now, their career today they might be a bit embarressed with.>>

Selling out ampitheaters is something to be embarrased about?
The same places PJ is selling out..
Old 01-30-02, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Selling out ampitheaters is something to be embarrased about?
The same places PJ is selling out..
I'm sure there was a sellout here or there but one of there last
major tours was a disaster and was shut down midway through.

Here is a little sample of how close they were NOT selling tickets.

BAND- DATE - VENUE - CITY - TICKETS SOLD - CAPACITY-b PERCENT FULL - GROSS

Motley Crue w/Megadeth & Anthrax 6/29/00 Blockbuster Desert Sky Pavilion Phoenix, AZ - 7,653 - 19,617 - 39% - $97,023
Motley Crue w/Megadeth & Anthrax 6/30/00 Coors Amphitheatre Chula Vista, CA - 2,769 - 9,418 - 29% - $91,571
Motley Crue w/Megadeth & Anthrax 7/11/00 Smirnoff Centre Dallas, TX - 3,230 - 5,500 - 58% - $108,701
Old 01-30-02, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by Flashback

I'm sure there was a sellout here or there but one of there last
major tours was a disaster and was shut down midway through.

Here is a little sample of how close they were NOT selling tickets.

BAND- DATE - VENUE - CITY - TICKETS SOLD - CAPACITY-b PERCENT FULL - GROSS

Motley Crue w/Megadeth & Anthrax 6/29/00 Blockbuster Desert Sky Pavilion Phoenix, AZ - 7,653 - 19,617 - 39% - $97,023
Motley Crue w/Megadeth & Anthrax 6/30/00 Coors Amphitheatre Chula Vista, CA - 2,769 - 9,418 - 29% - $91,571
Motley Crue w/Megadeth & Anthrax 7/11/00 Smirnoff Centre Dallas, TX - 3,230 - 5,500 - 58% - $108,701

Yes the last major arena tour didnt do so well..but lets face, besides U2,Billy Joel/Elton John, Britney Spears and Nsync..How many artists can sell out an arena these days? Not many..there use to be ALOT of arena tours..
Not most artists opt for smaller venues or amitheaters.

As for the numbers, Im sure they are right...
The few shows I went to were packed houses.
Personally, I blame the album they released for low ticket sales amongst other little things..but whatever.
Old 01-30-02, 11:22 AM
Retired

I too thank Pearl Jam for staying fresh from album to album. They became my favorite band when I bought Ten, and have stayed my favorite band by offering something new with each album. There's no point in buying album after album by a band that simply keeps making the same music over and over. True musicians will grow and evolve, and each of their albums should reflect this. IMO that's exactly what PJ's library does, and I applaud them for it.
Old 01-30-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I loved that Motley Crue song "Big Bottoms". And there was this movie or video with them that featured this little Stonehenge statue and a dancing midget. Pure brilliance.
Old 01-30-02, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts
Motley Crue...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 01-30-02, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by Virex

Really?

Right, and some lowlife at a record show is going to charge $30 for a 2 CDR concert set, with sound quality ranging anywhere from "wow, pretty good for a boot" to "wow, I didn't know people still recorded concerts on 8 tracks"

More bands should consider doing this. Maybe not for every stop on the tour, but at least a few shows (first show, last show, hometowns of band members, traditional stops, etc).
Old 01-31-02, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jason

Right, and some lowlife at a record show is going to charge $30 for a 2 CDR concert set, with sound quality ranging anywhere from "wow, pretty good for a boot" to "wow, I didn't know people still recorded concerts on 8 tracks"
I hear ya. Back in college there was a CD shop that sold some 'import bootlegs'. This was the first I had heard of such a thing and ended up buying several Pearl Jam bootlegs at around $50 for a 2-CD set. The quality varied greatly.

Thank goodness for the internet where I was able to find people willing to trade shows for free.
Old 01-31-02, 03:30 PM
Banned

Pearl Jam has continued to go downhill. "Yield" was decent at best, but Binaural really, really sucked.