Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the Vanilla Sky ST any good?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

I was debating on whether or not to buy it as it does boast a great line-up; guess that's what happens when the director used to write for Rolling Stone.
Anyway, while I thought the film was lackluster (mainly because I had seen the orginal), I thought the music was pretty good. I only know a few on the ST in terms of names, but I was looking for some reviews.
Old 01-14-02, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved the soundtrack.....and LOVED the movie. I will be buying the DVD no questions asked!!

As far as the music goes....you have already seen the awesome bands there...I mean...RADIOHEAD is right up there. But I dont know what are you looking for......
Old 01-14-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love the soundtrack, and honestly don't care for most of the bands on it. I happened to see the film and thought that the soundtrack had such a cool vibe too it, so I picked it up. Very happy with it. If you like what you heard in the film then you'll dig the rest of it for sure.
Old 01-14-02, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just get it.

They won't get a whole lot better than this.

If you liked what you heard in the movie then this is it.

A lot of non-popular bands (lesser known).

RedHousePainters track is cool.

It's kinda hard to review music because it can't really be judged, but if it could I'd give this soundtrack an "A".
Old 01-14-02, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It is a great soundtrack, but be forewarned: two of the greatest songs on the movie are not on it.
Do you remember the part of the movie where
Spoiler:
David Aames is falling off of the building to kill his 'Lucid Dream' self?
The song that was playing then (I still haven't figured out the name of it) is not on the soundtrack.
Also not on the soundtrack is the song called "Ladies and Gentlemen We are Floating in Space" by Spiritualized. IMO, this is the best song on the movie, and it plays when
Spoiler:
Sofia goes to David Aames apartment for his memorial service and she is filmed standing in the doorway of the apartment

The highpoints of the soundtrack are the Red House Painters, Paul McCartney, R.E.M., 'Julie Gianni', and Sigur Ros. I'd say go for it.